• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

counties charging extra for CHP

papa bear

Hey guys, i know this is a little OT, but i am trying to find out if there are counties in NC that are charging extra fees for new CHPs. the law is specific on what can be charged. I have heard of some saying that they are charged for extra health checks to extra monies for back ground checks. here is the question; how much were you charged for your CHP in your county. thanks, i hope to hear from you

WalkingWolf

I believe Harnett County is charging $90. $80 for application, and $10 for fingerprinting. Not sure why there should be a charge for fingerprinting, it costs them nothing to run fingerprints. Unless it's changed from when I was a LEO. Actually I think the state checks the fingerprints when the paperwork is sent to Raleigh.

cricketdad

Hey guys, i know this is a little OT, but i am trying to find out if there are counties in NC that are charging extra fees for new CHPs. the law is specific on what can be charged. I have heard of some saying that they are charged for extra health checks to extra monies for back ground checks. here is the question; how much were you charged for your CHP in your county. thanks, i hope to hear from you
State law dictates what can be charged by the county. $80 for the permit and $10 for fingerprints. They charge for fingerprints because they can, not because they have to.
The "extra" fees you are asking about are not charged by the county. Medical facilities have discovered they can send the applicant a bill for sending a report to the sheriff.
Yes permits cost more but the county is not the one getting the extra money.

Last edited:

papa bear

I believe Harnett County is charging $90. $80 for application, and $10 for fingerprinting. Not sure why there should be a charge for fingerprinting, it costs them nothing to run fingerprints. Unless it's changed from when I was a LEgO. Actually I think the state checks the fingerprints when the paperwork is sent to Raleigh.
ing

WOLF, that is what the law allows for. But here in Surry county,they charge 25$ for a mental check. Which the AG is not doing anything about. We are trying to determine if any counties are charging more.

I had some info that Durham was charging for two checks from two different places. That's a little redundant

WalkingWolf

Is the sheriff's office collecting the money, or are they billed from the mental health facilities? They can bill until they are blue in the face, but there is no way they can force collection.

The GA does need to address the issue though, and put a stop to it. But in all fairness to the mental health facilities it costs them money to provide the information. IMO unless the MH is a court ordered it should not be one of the requirements. Ending that would solve the problem.

Last edited:

MKEgal

IMO, if the MH check is part of the overall background check, which is required by statute, then it should all be covered by the one fee & whatever agency runs the BG check is responsible for covering any charges from other agencies / facilities.

I can't imagine being required to waive my right to medical privacy in order to exercise my right to self-defense. :uhoh:
IMO, unless there's something official that makes you a prohibited person then the state has no business knowing about it. Private medical records are just that.

WalkingWolf

IMO, if the MH check is part of the overall background check, which is required by statute, then it should all be covered by the one fee & whatever agency runs the BG check is responsible for covering any charges from other agencies / facilities.

I can't imagine being required to waive my right to medical privacy in order to exercise my right to self-defense. :uhoh:
IMO, unless there's something official that makes you a prohibited person then the state has no business knowing about it. Private medical records are just that.

GRNC wrote the law, I am baffled why a pro rights organization would put something like that in a bill. But then NRA helped with NFA and GCA both.

papa bear

GRNC wrote the law, I am baffled why a pro rights organization would put something like that in a bill. But then NRA helped with NFA and GCA both.

As for the law WOLF, it says they are to charge 80$ for the permit, and 10$ for the finger prints. What the
Sheriff's are doing is a end run around the law to make it more restrictive to new applicants, and to make more money off them. They really do need Togo by the law. It is the same with the PPP laws.the sheriff want to be extrA legal about it

WalkingWolf

As for the law WOLF, it says they are to charge 80$ for the permit, and 10$ for the finger prints. What the
Sheriff's are doing is a end run around the law to make it more restrictive to new applicants, and to make more money off them. They really do need Togo by the law. It is the same with the PPP laws.the sheriff want to be extrA legal about it

The MH checks should not be in the law at all. The only check should be one at the county court house if the individual has been committed by a court. GRNC proudly proclaimed writing that law, they put the extra checks there that should not be there in the first place.

papa bear

The MH checks should not be in the law at all. The only check should be one at the county court house if the individual has been committed by a court. GRNC proudly proclaimed writing that law, they put the extra checks there that should not be there in the first place.

NO , sorry but they didn't. if they had it would have been in the law. if you have some cite of the law that says there can be any other charges i would appreciate it.

i agree, there shouldn't even be a MH check anyway. they could always use the data base to check people

jaya

In Buncombe county you go to the Sheriff Department, pay $90 ($75 for renewal). Starting March 20, 2013 you need an appointment to apply for the initial permit. You do not need it for renewals I do not think. You do have to send off 4 or 5 letters for records. You have to send to Mission Hospital (cost $15), Broughton Hospital, a local mental health agency (I forget the name), and the Clerk of Court. If you are a veteran, you also must request records from the VAMC. They are currently saying 90-120 days to get them back.

papa bear

In Buncombe county you go to the Sheriff Department, pay $90 ($75 for renewal). Starting March 20, 2013 you need an appointment to apply for the initial permit. You do not need it for renewals I do not think. You do have to send off 4 or 5 letters for records. You have to send to Mission Hospital (cost $15), Broughton Hospital, a local mental health agency (I forget the name), and the Clerk of Court. If you are a veteran, you also must request records from the VAMC. They are currently saying 90-120 days to get them back.

JAYA, i am starting an inquiry into this. i will let you know