• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ISO firearm safety course for youth.

dakatak87

Where can I find a firearms safety class for an 8 year old in the Tacoma or surrounding area?
I have taught him some safety already and think he could benefit from a real class.

Thank You.

badkarma

Get the Eddie Eagle program from the NRA. I'm on vacation right now or I would look it up for you. If you need a "class" due to custody requirements you will have a tough time finding one outside a gun club at that age. Check Tacoma Sportsman Club.

solus

to quantify something, it seems you wish to expose your 8 yo, to safe firearm handling? if so, then nra's eddie eagle is not what you are looking for at all. this program teaches a child k-4:

quote The purpose of the Eddie Eagle Program isn't to teach whether guns are good or bad, but rather to promote the protection and safety of children. The program makes no value judgments about firearms, and no firearms are ever used in the program. Eddie Eagle is never shown touching a firearm, and he does not promote firearm ownership or use. The Eddie Eagle Program has no agenda other than accident prevention - ensuring that children stay safe should they encounter a gun. unquote. http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

i shan't discuss if an 8yo is developmentally capable of understanding these concepts as each child is unique in their development, or so their parents believe.

my suggestion, find him a cub scout den in the area and your family participate as adult leaders. this avenue has a socialization side and starts children using BB/pellet rifles and youth archery under adult leadership (you) following 'approved' criteria. additionally, i know other children in the den and pack might benefit having a male figure (you) in their lives.

ipse

solus

Is there still junior CMP?
http://www.odcmp.com/3P/JrDist.htm

Solus if I remember correctly the scouts use the CMP program. The private school I attended as a youth sponsored a Junior CMP program, but that was five decades ago.

WW, w/in the Cubs Scouts, Cubs are not allowed to handle firearms or handguns of any type only BB guns; w/in the Boy Scout and Varsity Scout programs the Scouts must use single-shot 22s w/a minimum of 3# trigger pull, shotgun 20 or 12 gauge w/7.5 to 9 shot shells, and muzzleloading rifle no greater than .58-caliber; Venturing (<21) may shoot any caliber rifle, pistol, shotgun, including muzzleloading, except fully automatic.

i personally am not familiar w/the Civilian Marksmanship Program and when i looked at their website it seems disjointed and i couldn't get a read on age criteria.

ipse

WalkingWolf

WW, w/in the Cubs Scouts, Cubs are not allowed to handle firearms or handguns of any type only BB guns; w/in the Boy Scout and Varsity Scout programs the Scouts must use single-shot 22s w/a minimum of 3# trigger pull, shotgun 20 or 12 gauge w/7.5 to 9 shot shells, and muzzleloading rifle no greater than .58-caliber; Venturing (<21) may shoot any caliber rifle, pistol, shotgun, including muzzleloading, except fully automatic.

i personally am not familiar w/the Civilian Marksmanship Program and when i looked at their website it seems disjointed and i couldn't get a read on age criteria.

ipse

Junior CMP used BB guns for safety training and some matches, then the students move to pellet rifles. But things could have changed after all these years.

golddigger14s

Activist Member

ipse

I was a boy scout many moons ago, but I'm torn on my opinion now. The list of unauthorized activities could be shortened considerably by just saying that breathing with adult (non-gay) supervision is allowed.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss08.aspx#e

Last edited:

solus

I was a boy scout many moons ago, but I'm torn on my opinion now. The list of unauthorized activities could be shortened considerably by just saying that breathing with adult (non-gay) supervision is allowed.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss08.aspx#e

after reading BSA President Gates' speech i truly believe he is trying to save the organization from imploding from the different volunteer fractions wanting their way!

http://scoutingnewsroom.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/BSA-NAM-DR.-GATES-REMARKS-5-23-14.pdf

i hope he is successful as the organization has done a tremendous amount for the youth of our county over the years.

ipse