• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns & Dope

anmut

I don't mean to stir up the whole "harvest fest thread" again but here's an article from our favorite liberal news source:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loc...cle_1b348bec-d24d-11df-adec-001cc4c002e0.html

SNIP:
"The bottom line for me is that I'd be much more comfortable with a gun-toting pot smoker around than with a gun-toting drunk," says a commenter on calguns.net. "So why is gun ownership allowed for drinkers but not for MJ smokers? The cultural bias is obvious here, and whether you like it or not, some people will work to change that."

Another commenter at the same site says: "If you get caught with guns and dope, I'll say you should have picked one! If you're so concerned with protecting yourself with a gun, give up the dope. If you're all about dope, get rid of your guns. It's a pretty simple decision."

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

I don't mean to stir up the whole "harvest fest thread" again but here's an article from our favorite liberal news source:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loc...cle_1b348bec-d24d-11df-adec-001cc4c002e0.html

SNIP:
"The bottom line for me is that I'd be much more comfortable with a gun-toting pot smoker around than with a gun-toting drunk," says a commenter on calguns.net. "So why is gun ownership allowed for drinkers but not for MJ smokers? The cultural bias is obvious here, and whether you like it or not, some people will work to change that."

Another commenter at the same site says: "If you get caught with guns and dope, I'll say you should have picked one! If you're so concerned with protecting yourself with a gun, give up the dope. If you're all about dope, get rid of your guns. It's a pretty simple decision."

It's illegal to posses pot no matter how you look at it. I would agree to be more comfortable with a gun toting pot head then a gun toting drunk but if I have a choice I would rather not see either. Altering your mind with any substance and then toting a gun = safety issue to me.

M

McX

oooppps. i misread the thread, i thought it was dopes and guns.

Vandil

Didn't we all learn from Vietnam movies. If a person is given both POT and a Machine gun. The only thing they will want to do is sit in a hole with X-mas lights on and a gas mask. They won't even get up to help defend the fire-base unless a VC comes screaming through the door and stabs their buddy in the stomach.

My personal thought is that it should be just as legal as Alcohol but it isn't currently. One problem at a time I guess.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
My personal thought is that it should be just as legal as Alcohol but it isn't currently.

Here are my concerns with MJ being legalized and regulated similarly to the currently legal intoxicants;
Is there a reliable "Instant Test" to determine the percentage of the intoxicating substance contained in someones blood?
For alcohol, there are a few different mobile tests, one analyzes a person breath for alcohol emissions, and the other uses gases emitted from a persons eye (way more accurate than breath testing from what I have read) and of course Lindsay Lohan has shown that there is an alcohol monitoring anklet accepted by the courts.

How would a person be tested for total THC content during a roadside test? Is there any research that has come up with a baseline of what is considered "Too high to Drive" that is accurate and repeatable? Short of a blood draw and subsequent lab tests that are anything but instant, how would a LEO gain probable cause?
I could also see this blood test being abused by some LEO's as a form of instant punishment for someone that stands up and defends their rights which in turn angers the cop, and he is able to get revenge by detaining, transporting to a hospital and having a needle jabbed into a vein.

If you do a little research on WI law right now, you will find nothing to limit police power when testing for alcohol percentages. Basically if a roadside alcohol test shows negative, the police have legal authority to arrest and forcibly have blood drawn against a persons will already. Imagine how bad things will get if MJ is legalized.
No thanks, it can stay illegal as far as I'm concerned just so these extra hassles and extensions of police power can be avoided.

Vandil

Is there a reliable "Instant Test" to determine the percentage of the intoxicating substance contained in someones blood?

The Oral Fluid Drug Screen Device for AMP/MAMP/COC/OPI/THC/PCP and their metabolites is an oral fluid screening test. The test does not require an instrument and utilizes monoclonal antibodies to selectively detect elevated levels of specific drugs in human oral fluid. This test strip takes 10min to process.

Did a very minor amount of digging for that info.

*edit* checked a second manufacturer and the product instructions for that pack says "Fast results. Result in 5 min"

Last edited:

Elysium

Here are my concerns with MJ being legalized and regulated similarly to the currently legal intoxicants;

Lay out a few boxes of Twinkies and see how many the suspect eats.

MKEgal

Lay out a few boxes of Twinkies and see how many the suspect eats.

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle.

I haven't had nearly as interesting a history as some of you... On my one & only exposure to pot smoke I didn't even know about it 'til afterwards, when I floated home from the party to my dorm room & ate most of the food in my little 'fridge & my other nibbles.
Interesting sensation, the floating, but not worth repeating that way. SCUBA is better.

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran

For alcohol, there are a few different mobile tests, one analyzes a person breath for alcohol emissions, and the other uses gases emitted from a persons eye (way more accurate than breath testing from what I have read) and of course Lindsay Lohan has shown that there is an alcohol monitoring anklet accepted by the courts.

How would a person be tested for total THC content during a roadside test? Is there any research that has come up with a baseline of what is considered "Too high to Drive" that is accurate and repeatable? Short of a blood draw and subsequent lab tests that are anything but instant, how would a LEO gain probable cause?
I could also see this blood test being abused by some LEO's as a form of instant punishment for someone that stands up and defends their rights which in turn angers the cop, and he is able to get revenge by detaining, transporting to a hospital and having a needle jabbed into a vein.

If you do a little research on WI law right now, you will find nothing to limit police power when testing for alcohol percentages. Basically if a roadside alcohol test shows negative, the police have legal authority to arrest and forcibly have blood drawn against a persons will already. Imagine how bad things will get if MJ is legalized.
No thanks, it can stay illegal as far as I'm concerned just so these extra hassles and extensions of police power can be avoided.

The only commercialy available portable testing test for metabolites than can be present up to 2 weeks after consumption. In some states that is enough to prove per se impairment. Imagine if alcohol drinkers couldn't drive for 2 weeks after a drink.

There have been tests to try determine what level of blood THC is equivilant to .08 BAC. The results were that at no level of marijuana consumption did driving become as impaired as .08 BAC. However I have heard of tests that showed with combining alcohol and marijuana driving impairment is worse than with either alone.

A active THC blood test can be done. However inhaled marijuana has only about 2 hours of action. So, by the time the blood is drawn they are likely to be sober.

I'm not sure about the specifics of WI law. However police can not get forced testing without already having probrable cause for arrest based on their observation of the accused driving and behaviour.

I think the only thing that will change if marijuana is legalized will be that you can't get in trouble any more for driving after smoking a joint a week ago like you can now.