• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Professor suspended

since9

Campaign Veteran
Article.

"This story is now about academic freedom..." - March.

No, it's about willfully disobeying the rules of Rowan-Cabarrus Community College which do not allow for a professor to engage in political activity in the classroom. I think that's a pretty good rule. Students are there to learn, not be indoctrinated.

I went to school back in the 1980s, and even back then, professors were careful to present both sides of an issue. Well, most were. The few that crossed the line and presented just one side would usually discover that trouble wasn't all that far behind them.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

Article.

"This story is now about academic freedom..." - March.

No, it's about willfully disobeying the rules of Rowan-Cabarrus Community College which do not allow for a professor to engage in political activity in the classroom. I think that's a pretty good rule. Students are there to learn, not be indoctrinated.

I went to school back in the 1980s, and even back then, professors were careful to present both sides of an issue. Well, most were. The few that crossed the line and presented just one side would usually discover that trouble wasn't all that far behind them.

The reports I have been made aware of in recent history tell a different story of Professors in their class rooms. Especially during election years. It has also been reported that disagreeing with the prof was a sure route to an F, no matter the quality of work in the class.

I am glad this one got nailed. May he/she be the first of many more to come.:mad:

eye95

"We are not about trying to suppress critical thinking or academic thought," she [the school's executive vice president, Ann Hovey] said. "But if you are trying to promote critical thinking, then both sides need to be presented."

It amazes me that a college professor, with all that education, has to have the above explained to him.

OldCurlyWolf

It amazes me that a college professor, with all that education, has to have the above explained to him.

Most do not need an explanation. They just refuse to acknowledge any political position other than their own as having any validity. That would make them seem quite foolish to the majority of people.

:cuss:

Kirbinator

Most do not need an explanation. They just refuse to acknowledge any political position other than their own as having any validity. That would make them seem quite foolish to the majority of people.

My position on carrying and bearing firearms is based in law and rights. Any position contrary to that would be blatantly wrong in my opinion. I am not unbiased enough to present "both sides" when one side is so blatantly wrong as to be unconstitutional, and completely un-American.

Gaidheal

Laws can be changed, opinions regularly shift over time

I don't disagree that you have law on your side in many arguments about the carrying and ownership of firearms but failing to understand the points made by opponents is just wilful stupidity and does the 'cause' you espouse absolutely no favours.

At one time, slavery was routinely accepted by many in the USA, nowadays I doubt anyone at all would seriously attempt to even defend the policy, much less find it odd that others would rail against it. Times change, people make laws to match their opinions, not the other way around.

This is exactly why it's important to fight any argument from facts and with respect for the other side. If their argument is weak, show why it's weak don't simply scream about rights and call them names.

since9

Campaign Veteran
It has also been reported that disagreeing with the prof was a sure route to an F, no matter the quality of work in the class.

Well, I've had some experience with that, via a flaming lesbian English teacher during my last quarter in school who gave me a D- because, regardless of the fact I'm a good writer, I did not agree with her political views.

I think she wanted to flunk me, but if she had, I wouldn't have graduated, and the dean intervened on my behalf.