• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Occupy Wall Street protestor w/ illegal pistol bailed out by OWS

Dreamer

And that I have little sympathy for those in prison for drug possession.

This coming from a man who's online screen name is based on a fictional medical doctor who is addicted to precription pain killers and is an alcoholic.

Irony, FTW...

Jack House

This coming from a man who's online screen name is based on a fictional medical doctor who is addicted to precription pain killers and is an alcoholic.

Irony, FTW...
I'm a genius, I can do whatever I want! *pops some Vicodin*

FTR, my lack of sympathy should not be seen as a reflection of my stance on drug laws. It's a reflection of my opinion of drug users. For example, I should have the right to OC unlicensed if I so choose. But I don't in Texas. If one day I just decided I couldn't resist the urge to OC anymore, therefore started OCing and was subsequently arrested for it. Would I deserve sympathy?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Yes, we agree on this point 100%.

Generally, prison labor gets about $0.25/hour for their work. They manufacture furniture, prefab building components, clothing and printed material for the government and for various school systems and foodstuffs for school lunch programs.

Prison labor is the "new plantation".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/us/25inmates.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.thenation.com/article/162478/hidden-history-alec-and-prison-labor

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8289

I've got no issue for "penal labor" like highway cleanup crews, working on farms to grow their own food for use INSIDE the prison system, stamping license plates, and even breaking big rocks into little rocks. But using the prison population to undermine the American labor force with impossibly cheap labor is fundamentally anti-American and egregiously immoral...

I agree we have gone too far enforcing behavioral laws that do nothing to rehabilitate people. No one seems too be considering a system where addicts and non-violent and non-perverted offenders with proper qualifiers get "jobs" in the system and something around $1 an hour put in savings upon their release. In those cases parole officers could act more like social workers and quide people into a productive civilian life where they might be able clear thei names. Too many felons can't get a break after their release and return to what they were doing that led to their criminal history. Giving them a couple of bucks a day and letting them squander it on "commissary" ensures they hit the street broke.

I'm a genius, I can do whatever I want! *pops some Vicodin*

FTR, my lack of sympathy should not be seen as a reflection of my stance on drug laws. It's a reflection of my opinion of drug users. For example, I should have the right to OC unlicensed if I so choose. But I don't in Texas. If one day I just decided I couldn't resist the urge to OC anymore, therefore started OCing and was subsequently arrested for it. Would I deserve sympathy?

Now that was funny!

I personally don't care if people use dope. It's when they break into my house in order to steal and support their habits, it's when they neglect their children, become schizophrenic and a danger too society that I have a concern with. Completely unregulated drug use would certainly see an increase in these behaviors.

So my imagination of a world where anyone not incarcerated can OC and consume any amount of any substance as frequently as they wish is equally as nightmarish as Orwell's 1984. Both scenarios are equally as insane.

Dreamer

I personally don't care if people use dope. It's when they break into my house in order to steal and support their habits, it's when they neglect their children, become schizophrenic and a danger too society that I have a concern with. Completely unregulated drug use would certainly see an increase in these behaviors.

Yes, just like the unfettered civil mayhem we saw in the US in the first 160 years of our Nation's existance, when "drugs" were COMPLETELY UNREGULATED...

Oh, wait a minute, that was the period in history when we abolished slavery, gave Women the vote, harnessed electricity, spanned the nation with roads, rails and communication systems, discovered massive deposits of gold, oil, coal, and natural gas, and the American Industrial Revolution occurred...

Yeah, we wouldn't want THAT sort of behavior going on in the USA, would we?...

"PfW", please cite a single credible source for this assertion that you make about the social impact of deregulation of "recreational drugs".

Last edited: