• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not very knowledgeable about 1911

Gr8gunz

I have fired a 1911 .45ACP only a few times and have been lusting for one ever since. I would like to know from you 1911 owners if it serves well as a carry weapon. Is the full size concealable or do I need to get a compact version? Could use a few suggestions as to brand also. Lots of holsters available?

Thanks
Gunz

ScottE

I have fired a 1911 .45ACP only a few times and have been lusting for one ever since. I would like to know from you 1911 owners if it serves well as a carry weapon. Is the full size concealable or do I need to get a compact version? Could use a few suggestions as to brand also. Lots of holsters available?

Thanks
Gunz

I don't own one, but those that do usually insist they are great. I've heard that your standard production line 1911's are not good.

I would recommend a compact for carry. And I would recommend a Glock. Extremely reliable and easy to find parts, accessories, holsters, etc for a Glock.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
No matter what anyone else tells you, the 1911 is the single greatest handgun ever invented. I have four of them. It is perfectly suitable for daily carry as a defensive weapon. Full size models can be concealed quite easily in my opinion. I am tall and skinny and have no trouble concealing mine with a IWB holster and a t-shirt if i have to. Compact models are easier to conceal though. However it's kind of a sin to cover up such a beautiful gun. :) There are thousands of holsters out there for 1911s in every variation you can imagine. As for brand recommendation how much are you willing to spend?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I don't own one, but those that do usually insist they are great. I've heard that your standard production line 1911's are not good.

I would recommend a compact for carry. And I would recommend a Glock. Extremely reliable and easy to find parts, accessories, holsters, etc for a Glock.

So you don't even own a 1911, but you recommend a Glock instead? I don't remember the OP asking about anything other than 1911s. Can we not derail a thread before it gets started? Standard production line models (GI models) have served our soldiers just fine.

Last edited:

moonie

I currently own 2, a full size and a compact. Both conceal very easily, the issue with conceal ability tends to be with the width of the grip. The 1911 is a very narrow handgun compared to most on the market even today. I purchased the compact as it is a little lighter than the full size. I am 5'11" 215lbs and have no issues concealing either in shorts and a t-shirt with an IWB and a belt.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I formerly owned a 1911, but I lost it in a tragic boating accident:), thus I know a little bit about them.

Concealability is a function of how, when, clothes, your build, where you will carry it on you, etc. As an extreme example, you wouldn't want to carry a full-size 1911 in an ankle holster unless you have really skinny calves and wear bell-bottoms.

My suggestion would be first consider thoroughly where on your person you will carry it weighed against your usual attire for each season, how invisible it has to be, etc. Just think your way through it. Borrow one from a friend to test it out in front of his mirror if you need to.

Same goes for holsters.

Before considering a compact model consider the ballistics. The barrel is the acceleration lane for the bullet. The bullet does not go from 0 to 849 ft/sec at the start of the rifling. It accelerates as it goes down the barrel. Shorten a barrel from 5" to 3" and you've chopped off 2/5 of the acceleration lane. That does not translate into a 2/5 aka 40% reduction in velocity, but it does mean a reduction in velocity. Now you have to worry about whether your preferred hollowpoint will open up at that lower velocity. And whether the loss of energy in foot-pounds is acceptable to you. For example, for your own usage and comfort level, it may or may not make sense to turn a .45 into a 9mm muzzle-energy wise. Why not just carry a 9mm that gives you more shots per magazine? I'm not saying a compact .45 is equivalent to a 9mm. I'm saying you may want to check out the velocity and muzzle energy loss and take into consideration. You certainly don't want to be disappointed after you buy a nice expensive compact. And, you definitely don't want to find out in the middle of a gunfight that your hollowpoints won't open up.

Oh, and never believe a word written in the gunzine (gun magazine) reviews about this or that gun. If you look carefully the guns they review are always great, and almost the only criticisms are cosmetic. For example, when the Taurus Judge and the S&W equivalent came out, the gunzines hyped the shotgun angle. Nevermind that the .410 shot had pathetic penetration, and that a rifled barrel spins the shot scattering it wider. So, if you have info about "The Power of a .45 in a small package!" from a gunzine, realize they're omitting the loss of velocity in a shorter barrel. Probably to keep the advertising business coming in.

There is another problem with compacts that you will want to research regarding your specific candidate gun. It may have been solved generally, but you will want to research it a bit so you don't buy a headache. Shortening the slide changes the momentum of the slide. This requires the manufacturer to monkey with the recoil spring tension. Some compacts had problems arising from slide weight/spring tension issues. Spend some time researching on forums about your candidate gun's mechanical reliability. For example, Smith & Wesson is the holy grail of revolver manufacturers in many minds. But, a little time on a Smith forum shows numerous manufacturing defects and even some design flaws.

I'm not trying to scare you off a compact. I'm saying do your research so you don't end up with a headache.

The above was all about mechanics. You also have to understand there is a religious aspect. Once you join the Cult of the 1911, you will have to learn the Gospel of John Moses Browning (google it). You will come under fire for the least comment that seems even indirectly heretical. Heresy is not tolerated by the Cult! You will be expected to know the Doctrine. In time, you may even forget there are other guns out there. At that point your assimilation will be complete. :)

Last edited:

Gr8gunz

Right now I'm considering the Springfield full size. I'm glad the full size is concealable since I really didn't want to go for a compact.

I carry a springfield .40XDM and use the Crossbreed super tuck for CCW and the Blackhawk ALS for OC. Both are great holsters so I'm sure that the CB will do well with the 1911. I hate Glocks. I know they're reliable and everybody seems to own one but I just don't like em.

As was pointed out though, the 1911s sure are pricey.

Best
Gunz

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Right now I'm considering the Springfield full size. I'm glad the full size is concealable since I really didn't want to go for a compact.

I carry a springfield .40XDM and use the Crossbreed super tuck for CCW and the Blackhawk ALS for OC. Both are great holsters so I'm sure that the CB will do well with the 1911. I hate Glocks. I know they're reliable and everybody seems to own one but I just don't like em.

As was pointed out though, the 1911s sure are pricey.

Springfields are excellent 1911s. If you are looking at the lower price range take a look at their GI Models. I would also recommend Rock Island Armory for solid entry-level 1911s. What's your price range? Any particular features you are really interested in?

Tanner

The RIA is a good suggestion for entry level. Also consider a Auto Oridinance. I got one about 9 or 10 months ago and after about 400 rounds its broken in. About 2000 rounds later it is still going strong and it hasent jamed up since the break in period.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I have the Rock island Armory M1911A1, which is the GI model. It only cost me 380$ before taxes and 419$ after taxes. It it very solid, simple and pretty. I love the woood grips on it. It's very accurate as well. I haven't had one jam hollow point or fmj. It came with an 8 round tactical mag. The follower on that mag is better quality than the higher end 1911 mags if you ask me. My only complaint is the trigger. After shooting about 100 or so rounds threw it, my fingertip gets a littlke raw. It is easily concealable as well because of it's thin profile. I have an uncle mikes IWB that conceals it just fine with just a t shirt over it. You could also just wear it on your hip and put a hoody over it. I am very satisfied with my RIA 1911, especially for the price.

chris829

i just put an American Classic II on layaway. the fit and finish is as good as any colt or kimber that ive seen and better than Springfield or para. $500 OTD

moonie

I've owned Springfields and Kimbers in the past, currently I own a Taurus and a compact RIA. All have been excellent guns and have performed exactly as designed. The only issues I've ever had with any of them were self induced.

As long as it goes bang every time you need it to what else do you need? The RIA is a great entry level 1911, there are 3 of them in the family and all run great.

Tanner

I have the Rock island Armory M1911A1, which is the GI model. It only cost me 380$ before taxes and 419$ after taxes. It it very solid, simple and pretty. I love the woood grips on it. It's very accurate as well. I haven't had one jam hollow point or fmj. It came with an 8 round tactical mag. The follower on that mag is better quality than the higher end 1911 mags if you ask me. My only complaint is the trigger. After shooting about 100 or so rounds threw it, my fingertip gets a littlke raw. It is easily concealable as well because of it's thin profile. I have an uncle mikes IWB that conceals it just fine with just a t shirt over it. You could also just wear it on your hip and put a hoody over it. I am very satisfied with my RIA 1911, especially for the price.

That reminds me. My only real complaint is also the trigger. The issue is that you have to let off the trigger completely to fire again. I have been told its a sear pin problem, spoke to a gun smith and about 150 bucks can fix the problem. Or you can try to do it yourself. (not recommended if you arent experienced)

WalkingWolf

I have one 1911, and one Star Super A, both are full size accurate, and concealable. They are very easy to hide with a IWB holster, I just prefer Open Carry. The Star is slightly slimmer than the 1911 though, not that it is noticeable, during carry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
OP said:
...I would like to know from you 1911 owners...
...I've heard that your standard production line 1911's are not good.

I would recommend a compact for carry. And I would recommend a Glock. ...

Since you are UNABLE to answer this gentleman's question, why are you posting gossip and unsolicited irrelevant advice?

Standard production 1911's can be VERY good.

The Ruger SR1911 has an outstanding reputation. My 15+ years with a Springfield Armory (made in Brazil) Mil-Spec 1911 has been flawless. My high-end Colt Series 80 Combat Elite required much work to be as reliable.

Glocks are outstanding firearms. They do not need to be brought up here.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I would like to know from you 1911 owners if it serves well as a carry weapon. Is the full size concealable or do I need to get a compact version? Could use a few suggestions as to brand also. Lots of holsters available?

I carry my Kimber 1911 everyday. Sometimes I conceal it. I've never owned a 1911 that wasn't a full-size model. Concealing requires a good holster and proper clothing and body placement; that's all. I can't think of a BAD brand, just review the model you want before purchasing. Based on reviews and prices, I would buy the Ruger in a heartbeat if I was in the market for another 1911.

Lots of EVERYTHING is available for the 1911. Even more than Glocks, but that is irrelevant.

Motofixxer

I have a friend that bought a 1911 and mentioned it to me. I discussed it with him and mentioned it's not very easy to field strip and clean etc. As compared to the Glocks and XD's etc that break down easily with no tools required. He called me a while later and said I was dead on with the break down and he didn't enjoy the lengthy tear down and all the pieces. Just make sure to familiarize yourself and make sure you get what you want. Different strokes for different folks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I have a friend that bought a 1911 and mentioned it to me. I discussed it with him and mentioned it's not very easy to field strip and clean etc. As compared to the Glocks and XD's etc that break down easily with no tools required. He called me a while later and said I was dead on with the break down and he didn't enjoy the lengthy tear down and all the pieces. Just make sure to familiarize yourself and make sure you get what you want. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh. Well, then, he failed the qualification test. If you need tools to break down your 1911, then you're not man enough to own one. Certainly, I didn't need any tools to break down the one I lost in a tragic boating accident. :p:)

I can just see ol' Chesty Puller now. "I need a bushing wrench to clean my pistol." Hhahahahahahaha!! Not!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I enjoy the mechanics of field stripping a 1911. I think it should be on Heinlein's list.

Robert Heinlein (Lazarus Long) said:
A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Most guys don't need a tool to do it, but I will admit it can be tricky for some. The bushing wrench is handy for some of the bastard 1911's, too, of which I find no need.

Last edited: