• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA won't oppose background checks??? CALLS NEEDED !

eye95

I have not performed a "over the phone" BC, or any BC for that matter, so I do not know if firearm related data is provided. Firearm data should not be required to conduct the BC. If "press two for firearm BC" or some variation thereof is part of the BC process then a firearm purchase has been linked to that citizen. That in and of itself is unreasonable in my view and a form of "gun registration."

I don't know about States that have their own system, but we use the FBI NICS system. The only firearm information is whether the firearm(s) is/are handgun(s), long gun(s), or other firearm(s). That's it.

However, the FFL keeps a paper record of the person and the firearm for twenty years, turning them over to the ATF if they go out of business.

BCs do not equal registration, but they can turn into one (that covers the last 20 years) with the swipe of a legislative pen. The main stumbling block to making the current system a registration system? The lack of BCs on private sales. That must stay the same. And the best fix is eliminating ALL BCs! They are infringements in their own right, the ease of turning them into registration notwithstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

mobiushky

So we're not going to take the NRA's word, but we're going to believe the word of NBC? That's the way we do it now? Listen to a false report by a biased "news" outlet who is pushing gun control at every chance (MSNBC) and ignore that the NRA stated that the report was false? Cool. Nice to know we're an informed lot.

OC for ME

I don't know about States that have their own system, but we use the FBI NICS system. The only firearm information is whether the firearm(s) is/are handgun(s), long gun(s), or other firearm(s). That's it.

However, the FFL keeps a paper record of the person and the firearm for twenty years, turning them over to the ATF if they go out of business.

BCs do not equal registration, but they can turn into one (that covers the last 20 years) with the swipe of a legislative pen. The main stumbling block to making the current system a registration system? The lack of BCs on private sales. That must stay the same. And the best fix is eliminating ALL BCs! They are infringements in their own right, the ease of turning them into registration notwithstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
Thanks for the insight. This information leads me to my conclusion that a FBI NICS is a gun registration scheme. LE will not come and collect a specific gun(s) they know that I have a gun(s). They, LE, not knowing which models is irrelevant in my view and a distraction, I propose, from the fact that the government knows that I am armed.

To avoid this situation in the future I must resort to private sales and the inherent risk with such a transaction.