• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in lancaster. Confrontation with Costco manager

Wastinbait

I am about 3 months new to OC. I previously cc'd on occasion. Today I had my 1st confrontation with at 1st a bagger at costco that asked me to put my side arm in my car. I politely explained that I did not see anything posted at the door and I would like to speak with management to discus their policy. I was sitting down for a slice of pizza with my wife at the time. He brought back his manager. She gave me a blank stare. After a brief moment of silence I asked if it was Costcos policy to not allow firearms. She said that it was. I asked if it was posted anywhere or written in the membership rules. She said she would go look for it. She came back with the assistant general manager. He was very polite. He sat down and explained to me that Costco is not open to the public. The costcos firearm ban is the same at every other costco around the world. He showed me the prepared letter to costco managers from the top dog. It also states in bold text for managers not to post these rules for members to see.
I spend a few thousand a year at costco.
I will be shopping for a new club and canceling my membership with a carefully prepared letter.

david.ross

I am about 3 months new to OC. I previously cc'd on occasion. Today I had my 1st confrontation with at 1st a bagger at costco that asked me to put my side arm in my car. I politely explained that I did not see anything posted at the door and I would like to speak with management to discus their policy. I was sitting down for a slice of pizza with my wife at the time. He brought back his manager. She gave me a blank stare. After a brief moment of silence I asked if it was Costcos policy to not allow firearms. She said that it was. I asked if it was posted anywhere or written in the membership rules. She said she would go look for it. She came back with the assistant general manager. He was very polite. He sat down and explained to me that Costco is not open to the public. The costcos firearm ban is the same at every other costco around the world. He showed me the prepared letter to costco managers from the top dog. It also states in bold text for managers not to post these rules for members to see.
I will be shopping for a new club and canceling my membership with a carefully prepared letter.

Cancel your membership and ask for a full refund.

Sam's Club is owned by Wal-Mart and allows open carry where lawful.

RedRuger

Costco

If you remember a few years ago Eric Scott was killed by the Clarks County Nevada (Las Vegas) sheriffs department for concealed carry in the Las Vegas Costco. I will not do business with them.

eye95

He was killed because he pointed the gun, albeit in its holster, at a cop.

If anyone wants the facts, read the transcript of the inquest into the shooting. It is eye-opening.

Still I don't shop at Costco because of their anti-gun bent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

KBCraig

He was killed because he pointed the gun, albeit in its holster, at a cop.

If anyone wants the facts, read the transcript of the inquest into the shooting. It is eye-opening.

I hold that the inquest transcript would be a poor place to find "the facts" in this case.

The independent reporting I've read might be biased, but certainly no more biased than the inquest.

eye95

I hold that the inquest transcript would be a poor place to find "the facts" in this case.

The independent reporting I've read might be biased, but certainly no more biased than the inquest.

The inquest transcript has the testimony of eyewitnesses. It is a better place to find the facts than either OCDO or reporting is.

<o>

Wastinbait

There is NO mention of agreeing to any policies when you get a Costco membership. The only thing that mentions firearms is an internal document that is not available anywhere unless you ask for it. Here is my experience. I closed my membership.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1S7tc0aLDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKNMB6gOJyM

Nice Job.
I was shown that exact memorandum.
It is pretty pathetic how it emphasizes not to post these rules.
Open carrying brings the anti's out of the woodwork.

duranbo

I was confronted by a store manager at our local giant supermarket and asked to leave because they did not allow open carry. Even after concealing my weapon I was told I still had to leave. I asked to see where this was posted and was told they hadn't had a chance to hang it yet he would provide me with no other proof of this policy. I will be checking back to see if anything is posted. does anyone know what the law is on posting policies woiuld like to have more info.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was confronted by a store manager at our local giant supermarket and asked to leave because they did not allow open carry. Even after concealing my weapon I was told I still had to leave. I asked to see where this was posted and was told they hadn't had a chance to hang it yet he would provide me with no other proof of this policy. I will be checking back to see if anything is posted. does anyone know what the law is on posting policies woiuld like to have more info.

It is private property - respond by taking your money somewhere else if corporate supports his position.

To my knowledge, signs carry no legal weight in PA - nevertheless you have been advised and risk a trespass charge if you carry there now.

Wastinbait

Canceled costco membership

I joined BJs in centerville.
It is 5 times the distance from my house then Costco but they currently allow my freedom to carry. They will have my business as long as they do.

papa bear

welcome to the forum. let us know which "giant supermarket" it was. there may be better info on this site

btw EYE four of the witnesses said that the firearm was holstered, and he was trying to hand it to them, as per one of the LEOs orders. i think they said there were three LEOs giving contradictory orders. the EMT also said the firearm was holstered when they arrived.

moving on

eye95

I have no doubt that it was holstered. However, in his drug-addled state and as witnesses have stated, he pointed what looked like a gun (and turned out to be a holstered gun) at the officer. The officer reasonably believed (even if he was wrong the standard is what a reasonable person would believe) his life was in danger.

Folks don't take anyone's word for what happened, not even mine. Read the transcripts or the accounts of the hearing into the matter. A rational look at the facts will lead you to the conclusion that the officers acted reasonably, even though tragically. The dead man's combination of drugs, carry, trespassing, and refusing to leave when told all led to his death.

Again, read it for yourselves.

<o>

papa bear

Costco is an anti American company. that don't believe in citizens defending them selves

the LV police staged a shooting and got away with it. i don't care waht the offical papers say, they were set
by the offenders (why didn't the LEOs have to have a drug test). but that's in the past. nothing we can do about it now

really moving on

eye95

Staged? That's a laugh. They responded to a call prompted by the erratic and unlawful behavior of the drug-addled carrier.

Staging is setting it up yourself, not reacting to a situation over which you have no control.

I suppose that you are now really, really moving on.

<o>

Mike

Site Co-Founder

never ever ask or goad stores into posting - they might do it!!

Wastinbait

never ever ask or goad stores into posting - they might do it!!

They already have the no firearm rule, yet they are shy to post so they do not appear anti. I would rather they post so others can make an informed decision on where they spend their money. Had I only CC'd there I would still be dumping money into commyco.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They already have the no firearm rule, yet they are shy to post so they do not appear anti. I would rather they post so others can make an informed decision on where they spend their money. Had I only CC'd there I would still be dumping money into commyco.

It isn't for our convenience, it is to limit the number of such signs that are seen by the general public. These signs send a message that guns are bad. We get enough of that tripe w/o contributing to/encouarging more of them.

We have sites like OCDO and friend or foe to keep us informed. If I have not found clear evidnce of a "no guns" position, I will simply conclude that they do not have an anti stance and I will OC as I go about my normal everyday business. I don't need a formal written invitation for that either.:)

Last edited:

KBCraig

Folks don't take anyone's word for what happened, not even mine. Read the transcripts or the accounts of the hearing into the matter. A rational look at the facts will lead you to the conclusion that the officers acted reasonably, even though tragically. The dead man's combination of drugs, carry, trespassing, and refusing to leave when told all led to his death.

Again, read it for yourselves.

Read it with the full awareness that the hearing was a process designed to clear the officers, not to get at the truth. Only witnesses favorable to the police version were called. There was no cross examination. No other evidence or witnesses were allowed.

How many times has an officer been fired for shooting someone in Las Vegas? Once.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/c...lice-board-recommends-firing-officer-involved

Discipline against an officer in a shooting situation is unusual. Bryan Yant, a narcotics detective who killed unarmed Trevon Cole in a botched 2010 drug raid, received a 40-hour suspension and was reassigned to a desk job.

Gillespie said he could not recall an officer who had been fired for an on-duty shooting. Las Vegas police killed a record 12 people in 2011, but the number of shootings dropped in 2012 and 2013. There were 11 Las Vegas police shootings in 2012, with four deaths. There were three shootings so far this year, with one being fatal.