• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking For Opinions On This 1911

DrakeXD

Hey all,

I've been considering the acquisition of a 1911 for some time and I believe I've finally decided on a make and model, the Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded PI9132LP.
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=24

I was hoping to get some feedback on it. So, what do y'all think about it and what is a fair price for it?

Thanks for the help!

***EDIT: It seems that I have been corrected on my choice. The original 1911 above has the adjustable range sights. The following is better suited for daily carry: PX9151LP
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=3

Any opinions on this 1911?

Last edited:

45acpForMe

That model looks almost identical to mine except it has adjustable sites instead of my 3dot. I have the PX9151LP. Read a thread I started which talks about it and a Colt I picked up.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?63098-1911-research

When push comes to shove it is a good gun. I love the finish on the gun but the Cocabolo grips look orange to me rather than dark reddish in the picture.

I prefer the GI guide rod over full length ones for ease of maintenance and swapped out mine with a new spring and springcap. I also prefer the 3-dot sites but thats just me. :)

I see some on GunBroker.com and the cheapest around $870. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196656673

I consider my Colt to be better quality but more expensive. If I could just merge my Colt and Springfield into one gun it would be the perfect 1911 for me.

Springfield has a good name and I am sure you will be happy with it.

oak1971

It's a good gun but those sights are more for range duty than carry duty. Get the same one with carry sights and you are good.

jeeper1

If I was looking for a 1911A1 type pistol, I would give that one very serious consideration.

DrakeXD

Cool, thanks for the insight. I would have missed that if you hadn't pointed it out. That's why I'm checking with everyone here before I go buy one.

45acpForMe

There is nothing wrong with going with springfield but you should consider colt too.

The price difference can be negligable if you shop around.

Here is a very similar model to the Springfield and a decent price on gunbroker.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/tabid/61/CatID/12/Default.aspx model O1070XSE Government

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196939431

There is also a commander version which is just a shorter barrel version which is easier for concealment. I only have government versions 5" but admit sometimes a 4.25 barrel would make it easier to conceal. Since I OC mine concealment isn't that big a deal.

The Colt gives you 8+1 rather than 7+1 in the same size magazine!

Do buy what "you" want and enjoy it. Almost any 1911 will do you right so it is hard to make a mistake. There are little things like ambi-thumb-safety, hammer shape, guide rod length, etc that you learn what you like over time. The good news is that on a 1911 platform you can customize and swap parts out. There are some things that might not work on "a" particular 1911 though. For example my Colt can use the Springfield mags but the Sprinfield can't use the Colt mags. Go figure?

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

I've used Colt mags in my Springer for over 20 years w/o a problem. While I'm at it... target sights are worthless for a carry gun. IMHO... range habits do not transfer well to combat shooting, which is pretty much point and click. I practice this one-handed, as this is what the gun was designed to do in '1911'. 'Train like you'll fight' is still a valid axiom.

Attachments

• Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45 acp.jpg
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45 acp.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 154

Michigander

I've used Colt mags in my Springer for over 20 years w/o a problem. While I'm at it... target sights are worthless for a carry gun. IMHO... range habits do not transfer well to combat shooting, which is pretty much point and click. I practice this one-handed, as this is what the gun was designed to do in '1911'. 'Train like you'll fight' is still a valid axiom.

I generally agree, being a point shooting advocate. But for the more rare instances of more time with a need for aimed fire, I suggest XS Express Big Dot sights. If you're going to aim, it may as well be easy to do fast.

DrakeXD

I'm planning on heading to my local range tomorrow. I'm going to see if they have the SA for rent. I'd like to get some range time in with it before I buy. Which I think is good advice for anyone looking for a handgun, especially if that person is going to be a new gun owner.

TromixSaiga59

My "Springer" is identical to yours, except I have the round front sight and the "U.S." grips. I basically bought it because I wanted another 1911 and I didn't want to buy a specialized firearm with all the do-dads at the time of purchase. It is the one I am O.C.ing right now, simply because I have a convenient open top zytel paddle holster for it. If I had my druthers, I'd be carrying my old friend the full sized HK USP .40, because it has the ability to be unloaded and loaded with the safety "ON". The 1911 doesn't, but I'll be sure to be careful and use best practices when doing so.

45acpForMe

..... If I had my druthers, I'd be carrying my old friend the full sized HK USP .40, because it has the ability to be unloaded and loaded with the safety "ON". The 1911 doesn't, but I'll be sure to be careful and use best practices when doing so.

I love my USP in 45acp at 12+1 it has more capacity than my Springfield. My USP has become my daily utility carry gun. I also like that you can rack the slide, chamber/unchamber a round while the safety is on. About the only improvement would be night sites.

I also have a Para Big Hawg at 15+1 and a FNH FNP-45 at 15+1. Both are great guns but the Para needs more testing and the FNP-45 needs a SERPA (that doesn't exist for it yet). I am all for high capacity 45acp guns!

sst0185

Used to own a full size stainless model Springfield, great gun.

I now own a full size loaded model Springfield. I use Wilson Combat 8 round mags in it and it runs great.

Just bought a Hk USP .45 Tactical last week, still haven't shot it yet:banghead: