• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Got a question.

devildoc5

I just wanna know who seems to be going around in the background and censoring things and changing topic titles?

That is a clear and distinct violation of 1A. I thought we were here for ALL rights??!!??!!!

Jeff Hayes

I just wanna know who seems to be going around in the background and censoring things and changing topic titles?

That is a clear and distinct violation of 1A. I thought we were here for ALL rights??!!??!!!

Devildoc you have no 1st "A" rights on a private forum. For God's sake understand this if you dont ever understand anything else. The Bill of Rights only prevents the goverment from denighing rights to its citizens, it does not apply to private people or privatly owned internet forums never has never will.

John and Mike own this sight and can do with it as they like, including changing what you just typed or asking you, me or anyone else to leave. If you do not like it then you can leave, no one is making you come here or comment here.

Last edited:

devildoc5

Devildoc you have no 1st "A" rights on a private forum. For God's sake understand this if you dont ever understand anything else. The Bill of Rights only prevents the goverment from denighing rights to its citizens, it does not apply to private people or privatly owned internet forums never has never will.

John and Mike own this sight and can do with it as they like, including changing what you just typed or asking you, me or anyone else to leave. If you do not like it then you can leave, no one is making you come here or comment here.

Just because that right is not GUARANTEED to me does not mean that we can be hypocritical about the Bill of Rights.

Second it is neither John nor Mike that are changing and modifying these threads. BOTH of them leave a reason or a notice that they have done such. This is someone who APPARENTLY is a local WA state admin for the SOLE purpose of stickying their own threads....

deanf

Just because that right is not GUARANTEED to me does not mean that we can be hypocritical about the Bill of Rights.

What's hypocritical about a private property owner (or his agent) doing as he sees fit with his private property, and ignoring a law (1A) that doesn't apply to him? Why would the owners here, who promote freedom, apply a law to themselves which would restrict their freedom? The concept is just dumb.

Your comments betray a fundamental misunderstanding of our constitution - probably of our whole system of government.

Aaron1124

While we're on the subject thereof.. and to play Devil's Advocate (for educational purposes) I ask my fellow forum members if they have any quarrels with a private business, such as a retail establishment, to act in a way, that, if it were the government, would be in violation of nearly all of the U.S. Amendments? Setting up cameras at nearly every view and angle of the store, having someone constantly be watching surveillance, store employees checking your receipt upon leaving the store - even without having any suspicion if a theft, not allowing people with any type of religious or political slogan on their shirt, etc.

Do you respect a private retail establishment's right to enact these rules?

If so, are your reasons for respecting their right out of ethical and moral reasoning? Or Constitutional reasoning?

What, ethically and morally, would make it wrong for the government to act in such way that wouldn't also be applied to private property?

Jeff Hayes

What's hypocritical about a private property owner (or his agent) doing as he sees fit with his private property, and ignoring a law (1A) that doesn't apply to him? Why would the owners here, who promote freedom, apply a law to themselves which would restrict their freedom? The concept is just dumb.

Your comments betray a fundamental misunderstanding of our constitution - probably of our whole system of government.

+1 Thanks Dean

Kryteon

Yeah... okay.. I get that I have no rights here. That's not the point.

The question remains. Why did the title of the post get changed? It does make it difficult to follow a thread.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Kryteon.

kenshin

While we're on the subject thereof.. and to play Devil's Advocate (for educational purposes) I ask my fellow forum members if they have any quarrels with a private business, such as a retail establishment, to act in a way, that, if it were the government, would be in violation of nearly all of the U.S. Amendments? Setting up cameras at nearly every view and angle of the store, having someone constantly be watching surveillance, store employees checking your receipt upon leaving the store - even without having any suspicion if a theft, not allowing people with any type of religious or political slogan on their shirt, etc.

Do you respect a private retail establishment's right to enact these rules?

If so, are your reasons for respecting their right out of ethical and moral reasoning? Or Constitutional reasoning?

What, ethically and morally, would make it wrong for the government to act in such way that wouldn't also be applied to private property?

A Private Business absolutely has the right to do all those things, doesn't mean I agree with them or even respect them. But that's why I have the right to shop somewhere else. Same thing on this forum. John, Mike and their appointed agents (Moderators) can censor anything and everything they like on the forum. Our only recourse is to go find another forum to post in. Or better yet start your own forum, pay the upkeep costs and then you can say what goes and stays.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, none of the above is directed at you personally Aaron, just my own rambling thoughts.

Deleted_User

Playdough one said *grin*

Josh, a quote for you:

"It's easier to hide and not have to take responsibility for one's own actions, than to come to the light and be known for what one truly is." *Author Unknown*

Tomas

If it's not Mike or John then it is probably the Shadow Mod they appointed to help cover things. Ask Gray Peterson.

As to "rights" ...

"Freedom of Speech" is not a term that applies to any private site that allows posting by members. The US First Amendment only applies to not allowing the US government to censor most speech. As soon as you step into a private site like this, you are in someone else's livingroom or office, not in a public space, and the owner - the person paying the bills - can set any rules they want and a poster can either agree or leave. No problem, but just trying to correct an all too common error of perception about the internet.

Last edited:

devildoc5

Sigfan if you are willing we are gonna have a meeting on the first Sunday of the month at 0900 at Carr's restaurant in Lakewood and then go for coffee at Starbucks afterwards. We welcome ANYONE to attend...

Deleted_User

Sigfan if you are willing we are gonna have a meeting on the first Sunday of the month at 0900 at Carr's restaurant in Lakewood and then go for coffee at Starbucks afterwards. We welcome ANYONE to attend...

Doc, 8am CARR's. I wanted to make sure we got time to get our food. They can take a bit sometimes, but it's worth the wait.