• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NYC PD shoots 9 bystanders

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

dudeman351

This incident was pure neglagence by the police. If the shooting was done by an armed civilian there would be hell to pay. The police should be held to the same standards. They need to be held accountable for every round fired.

tjkruck

This incident was pure neglagence by the police. If the shooting was done by an armed civilian there would be hell to pay. The police should be held to the same standards. They need to be held accountable for every round fired.

You forget that the police are better than us and are supposed to shoot people. (In the anti eyes)

dudeman351

You forget that the police are better than us and are supposed to shoot people. (In the anti eyes)

Its sad really. When you consider the average armed civilian has more training and more common sense on taking a shot than your average police officer. And I am by far not a cop basher. My dad was LEO and my cousins are Fed agents. LE was my career choice until my dad pleaded with me not to do it, said he didn't want me to see the things he did.

Last edited:

j4l

Surprised no one is talking about this:

http://news.yahoo.com/civilians-hurt-nyc-gunfire-highlight-dangers-233856647.html

Bullets can turn around and come back at you? Everything I know is ****.

Only thing I can think of, is these boneheads totally panicked, and resorted to Spray N Pray/Insh Allah-mode of shooting..unreal.

"Security camera footage showed the officers had only an instant to react when Johnson suddenly turned as they approached and pointed his gun at them, his arm cocked as if to fire.

Their encounter was over in eight seconds. The officers, who had been standing nearly close enough to shake hands with Johnson and had no opportunity to take cover, fired almost immediately.

Nine bystanders were wounded in the 16-shot volley, likely by stray or ricocheting police bullets. None of their injuries was life-threatening, police said." "
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-25/empire-state-building-victim/57297548/1

So, arm's length distance? If accurately reported (I've not seen the video) -unstat. Get these' "officers" guns out of their holsters, and assign them to the motor pool for the next 20 yrs. And feed them, raw, to the 9 victims who will no doubt be suing the living crap out of the City.

As to the "boomerang" of rounds- given WHERE this took place (tons of concrete, steel, glass) you better believe it. Especially with NYPD-issue 9mm rounds. Any miss is going to most likely strike one of the above materials, and depending on the striking-angle of the hit- you are going to have some serious ricochet action.
This is not likely to be a case of the "over-penetration" of the target- more likely the complete missing (somehow, @ hand-shaking range.....unreal) of their intended target.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I bet having 100000 lb trigger pulls on their guns doesn't help.

(it was my understanding that NYPD carries Glocks with 12lb trigger pulls, no? not sure where i heard that, maybe it's a myth)

As to the "boomerang" of rounds- given WHERE this took place (tons of concrete, steel, glass) you better believe it. Especially with NYPD-issue 9mm rounds. Any miss is going to most likely strike one of the above materials, and depending on the striking-angle of the hit- you are going to have some serious ricochet action.
This is not likely to be a case of the "over-penetration" of the target- more likely the complete missing (somehow, @ hand-shaking range.....unreal) of their intended target.

Boomerangs come back when thrown out into the open, I don't think they'll return if they hit something. A ricochet strikes something hard and bounces off. That's why when I read this I was like LOLWTFBULLETSBOOMERANG?

09jisaac

Boomerangs come back when thrown out into the open, I don't think they'll return if they hit something. A ricochet strikes something hard and bounces off. That's why when I read this I was like LOLWTFBULLETSBOOMERANG?

Exactly. Bullets don't boomerang and unless you are shooting squarely at a flat surface, the chances of that projectile ever returning to its exact position is very slim, almost impossible. So the police were relatively safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yes, bullets can bounce back and hit the shooter, particularly with jacketed ammo. Yes, the cops panicked. And yes, many civilians are better trained in the handling of firearms than are many LEOs. They're not, however, better trained as peace officers, which include a large number of disciplines -- none of which, however, are very useful when you panic...

Gunslinger

Yes, bullets can bounce back and hit the shooter, particularly with jacketed ammo. Yes, the cops panicked. And yes, many civilians are better trained in the handling of firearms than are many LEOs. They're not, however, better trained as peace officers, which include a large number of disciplines -- none of which, however, are very useful when you panic...

Maybe that pos bloom **** should have new gun laws that take them away from his scumbag cops. "New York's finest." What a ******* joke.