• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC positions/ group get togethers

TripleC

Okay, as I mentioned on another post, I have not yet started OCing, because the attention it may cause; so I was wondering if carrying SOB with a shirt tucked behind my gun obviously, is considered open carry or not. I also was wondering if there are any other OCers around me or any get togethers. Thanks

Brimstone Baritone

No, real OC is wearing it on a chain around your neck. :p

In most states, anything that does not meet the legal definition of concealed is, by default, open carry. Find out your state's definition of concealed, and carry in a way that isn't that.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Which Henderson are you in? Finding folks who already OC in and around Henderson would be easier if you could narrow it down to a particular state.

As for carrying SOB not covered by your shirt - it's not concealed, so it must be --[thirty-second countdown clock] __ ? [/thirty-second countdown clock]

I have not yet started OCing, because the attention it may cause

Did you delay wearing a tie for the first time because of the attention it might have caused? Or delay changing your grocery shopping from one store to another? Or not doing <just about any activity you had not done yet>?

If you are convinced that OCing is legal, then go out OCing.

Sure, we take reasonable precautions regarding what might happen if someone decides to overreact. But that does not stop us. Why do you feel compelled to not take the plunge?

stay safe.

TripleC

Yes Henderson Kentucky. An your right skid mark! I plan to get a glock 19 soon an I believe I'm going to carry that. But it may be false but I feel like I read somewhere it stated you must be able to see the gun looking straight at the person; but I could be wrong. KY isnt strict on OCing, KRS only states you cannot have a loaded firearm in any bar that serves alcohol or in any place such as a school or bank that states no firearms. And I keep a printed copy of that in my wallet to have if any LEO stops me.

tonnere

Start reading up on some quality holsters. Never open carry without a good holster with retention. SOB carry is a method of conceal carry that puts yourself in a vulnerable chicken wing position. Be smart, be safe.

TripleC

yeah i have a CQC holster, i finally found a good one my SR9C fits in, an it does have retention. i just feel like carrying on my hip will get in the way often; thats why i was thinking SOB.

ryanb197901

it takes alot of guts to open carry...

it does because you know how people could react, all the while your making a political statement also. Some claim when a person open carrys that they are just showing off, or looking for trouble...I open carry because I can , also because i dnt ever want to loose that right. It definatly takes currage and brains to open carry.....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
yeah i have a CQC holster, i finally found a good one my SR9C fits in, an it does have retention. i just feel like carrying on my hip will get in the way often; thats why i was thinking SOB.

Sorry for the delay in responding - just did not bother to follow the thread.

If carrying on the hip gets in the way often don't you think cops would have switched to some other place to carry?

How difficult is it to condition yourself to leave an extra two inches on your strong side so you avoid bumping things with your holstered firearm?

I think you are still worried that someone will freak out at the mere sight of you OCing. I hate to disappoint you, but for years there have been no headlines shrieking that horses have fainted and women stampeded just because someone was seen OCing. You are just worried that you will stand out from the crowd. Well, so does that guy in only the neon orange t-shirt and stripped stilletoes or that female in the size 60 spandex leggings and the muffin top going on. No, they were not folks I saw at WalMart - each seen strolling alone (gee, I wonder why?) on the street in our hippy/yuppie shopping district. But they did it in spite of the fact that it drw attention to them. OTOH, most folks are so wrapped up in their own lives that even if they see your handgun they will mentally write it off as a cellphone.

stay safe.

cabledawg

I have to agree with Skid. The more "excuses" you come up with are just stall tactics to delaying your first OC experience. Here's what I did.

Wear it around the house. Cooking, watching TV, laundry, whatever. From the time you come home till the time you go to bed. After a few days, start walking around outside while OCing. Talk a walk with the dog/wife/kids/all of them. Go around the block or down the street. Once you feel comfortable with that, try a neutral open place like a hardware store, car parts place or farm supply store. You'll find that most people simply dont care that you have a gun.

I've been OCing for a few weeks now and dont even think twice about going out with my PT92. Waiting for my CCW class so that I dont have to unload/reload every time I drive, but otherwise, it's like wearing shoes or sunglasses. I put it on and go about my business :cool:

UATKP

Sob?

I'm from Texas, so I can't open carry except on my own property and when I'm fishing or hunting...
I have a question.
What is SOB?

hermannr

SOB I believe means Small of Back, not a traditional OC position.

Hint: ORS 166.250(3) (OR) specifically states, "a pistol openly carried in a holster on your HIP shall not be considered concealed."

If you want to have the least possible interation with those that do not understand OC...That is they way to do it...(a la LE carry)

PotterMP

My 2 cents on SOB

Just to put a little food for thought out there about SOB (small of back) carry.
First off I carry SOB for my back up gun, for me it is the most comfortable for in the waistband carry and also leaves the smallest profile for concealed carry.
My issue with open carrying SOB is weapons retention. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my weapon SOB openly in public. SOB is difficult to retain in a gun grab scenario. No matter how you carry make sure that you can protect your weapon. Your best defense can become your worst nightmare in a heartbeat.
If they can see it, they can grab it. If they can grab it I want to see/feel them going for it and be able to react quickly.
Like said I am a huge SOB fan. In my humble opinion I feel SOB should be saved for concealed carry where you don't have to worry about somebody seeing it and feeling frisky while you are standing in line at Micky Ds.

Potter