• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction

DW98

First off, thanks to the admins for creating this section.

Bit of an introduction about myself. For the past few years I've been actively involved in educating people about firearms, and of course, striving for less draconian firearms laws. I strongly agree that people should have the right to free speech and the right to defend themselves, which we as Australians, do not have.

While I'm not completely against the 1996 Firearms Act, there's a lot that I don't agree with.

A bit of background on what led to the reforms.

In 1996, Martin Bryant, a 28-year-old man from Hobart, Tasmania, went on a shooting spree at the historic Port Arthur site and the surrounding areas, killing 35 people and wounding 23. In the weeks that followed, massive overhauls of our gun laws took place. All fully automatic weapons were outright banned and heavy restrictions were put on semi-automatic rifles and pump/semi-automatic shotguns. Waiting periods were also introduced, meaning owners had to wait several weeks to purchase a new firearm. People new to the sport also had to wait weeks, sometimes months, for their firearms license to be processed.

The Australian government introduced a buyback scheme that allowed firearms owners to hand in their firearms for cash in return. Some 643,000 firearms were handed in and were destroyed.

We now have more firearms than before the buyback, although the laws still remain in place.

To clarify, I'm completely fine with background, mental health checks and safe storage requirements. It's the rest of it that I have a problem with.

The weapons used by Bryant, an AR-15 and SLR remain legal, but they are heavily restricted. The majority of people are restricted to pump/bolt action rifles, shotguns and handguns. Note that handgun laws were changed after a university shooting in 2002. .45 is the highest caliber allowed and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson. Looking forward to talking to all of you. Especially my neighbours from New Zealand, who's firearms laws are much more reasonable than ours.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

First off, thanks to the admins for creating this section.

Bit of an introduction about myself. For the past few years I've been actively involved in educating people about firearms, and of course, striving for less draconian firearms laws. I strongly agree that people should have the right to free speech and the right to defend themselves, which we as Australians, do not have.

Sad to hear good people can't exercise the Rights they were born with. It sometimes helps point to point out to people that no Rights are created by governments, they are only restricted or infringed.

While I'm not completely against the 1996 Firearms Act, there's a lot that I don't agree with.

A bit of background on what led to the reforms.

In 1996, Martin Bryant, a 28-year-old man from Hobart, Tasmania, went on a shooting spree at the historic Port Arthur site and the surrounding areas, killing 35 people and wounding 23. In the weeks that followed, massive overhauls of our gun laws took place. All fully automatic weapons were outright banned and heavy restrictions were put on semi-automatic rifles and pump/semi-automatic shotguns. Waiting periods were also introduced, meaning owners had to wait several weeks to purchase a new firearm. People new to the sport also had to wait weeks, sometimes months, for their firearms license to be processed.

The Australian government introduced a buyback scheme that allowed firearms owners to hand in their firearms for cash in return. Some 643,000 firearms were handed in and were destroyed.

We now have more firearms than before the buyback, although the laws still remain in place.

That's usually what happens after a "buy back" (how can you buy something back when you never owned it in the first place?:confused:). I've attended three now, and the grand majority of firearms turned in were rusted hunks of metal. One (cheap) revolver fell apart as we handled it to see if we could give the owner more than the police food cards; we just ended up patching it up so the owner could get her $100 card for it.:)

To clarify, I'm completely fine with background, mental health checks and safe storage requirements. It's the rest of it that I have a problem with.

As am I, if it is court-mandated.:) Otherwise, background checks tend to be next-to-useless (even if a flag comes up, the criminals aren't prosecuted because it is considered a "nuisance" case that won't net enough money to justify it), mental health checks are too subjective and the system subverted (you can have your firearms confiscated in certain states if you "confess" to being unders stress, anxiety, or prescription drugs), and safe storage requirements are too intrusive (government agent waltzing into your house won't just look at the firearm storage, but will make note of that dangerous-looking objects that could be signs of "terrorist" inclinations, etc.).
I guess what I am getting at is you should have a problem with all of it, seeing as criminals aren't held to the same standard (by definition, they don't follow the law) and will always find a way to get a weapon to aid their criminal careers.

The weapons used by Bryant, an AR-15 and SLR remain legal, but they are heavily restricted. The majority of people are restricted to pump/bolt action rifles, shotguns and handguns. Note that handgun laws were changed after a university shooting in 2002. .45 is the highest caliber allowed and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson. Looking forward to talking to all of you. Especially my neighbours from New Zealand, who's firearms laws are much more reasonable than ours.

Cheers.

I carry a 7-round capacity .45, but I don't see the problem in being able to carry 30 rounds if I so choose. I'm even considering a double-stack .45 for the future!:D
Keep up the good fight!

davidmcbeth

Banned
DW98 has learned a little ... but is still supporting some "reasonable" gun control laws.

I think sheep would be able to vote in NZ ... then President Baa-Baa would straighten this out ...

I hope DW98 sticks around ... he's a salvageable one !

The only good gun control law is one that does not exist.

Last edited:

DW98

I'm basically trying to take it step by step. Do I think we should be made to store our firearms and ammunition locked away and separately? No, but those are the laws and for the time being we all have to abide by them.

Ironically all the rural people I know just have them in closets or sheds with the ammunition next to it.

Thanks for all the welcomes. Glad to be here.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
So tell us about carry laws, please.

When you say "AR-15's are heavily restricted" - how about some detail?

To the extent you know about them, it would be interesting to read about NZ's laws too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

I'm basically trying to take it step by step. Do I think we should be made to store our firearms and ammunition locked away and separately? No, but those are the laws and for the time being we all have to abide by them.

Ironically all the rural people I know just have them in closets or sheds with the ammunition next to it.

Thanks for all the welcomes. Glad to be here.

Yep, that's the dilemma we face when trying to defend ourselves and our loved ones while remaining Law-Abiding Citizens.

DW98, please stay and join the conversations. If at all possible, bring others on board, starting with family and friends. It's time we stop merely defending our Rights since we seem to lose ground when left to politicians' whims.

Keep up the good fight.

P.S.: I second BB62's request for more information about the gun laws you must abide by.

Last edited:

DW98

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

As for carry laws, no such thing. You can't carry any weapon of any kind. Not even a knife. They keep bringing up discussions open carry but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

By heavily restricted I mean a person who doesn't own land or is a professional hunter will have no chance of getting an AR-15, semi-automatic rifle etc.

Some AR-15's are available on what is called a Category C license. Meaning that you must have sufficient land/be a farmer, or someone who hunts for a living. Cat C means you can own semi-automatic rifles and semi and pump shotguns.

After that we have Category D. Cat D is basically impossible to get. The only way you would be getting a Cat D license is if you work for a government agency where you may need a centrefire semi-automatic. A few occupational shooters may have them but it's very rare.

Anyone can own semi-automatic handguns, though.

In New Zealand anyone can get a semi-automatic rifle as long as they do a safety course beforehand. I don't know much else apart from that. Safe to say that their laws aren't as strict as ours.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited:

b0neZ

Welcome to OCDO from the Nevada High Desert!

Thanks for the thumbnail of your firearms laws.

What about carrying a sidearm (open or concealed) for self defense? Are there provisions in place for this?

DW98

Welcome to OCDO from the Nevada High Desert!

Thanks for the thumbnail of your firearms laws.

What about carrying a sidearm (open or concealed) for self defense? Are there provisions in place for this?

The only time you're allowed to carry a firearm is when you're out hunting or on private rural property. Carrying a firearm anywhere else in illegal. You can't even carry a knife or stun gun to defend yourself.

The only people who you would see carrying a gun in public would be the police, security guards, train station guards, airport security, and cash-in-transit guards.

Rusty Young Man

The road to oppressive gun control is paved with compromises.

This is truth, and the reason I stated DW98 (and all freedom-loving individuals, really) should not be in favor ofa ANY restrictions on Rights.

Mr. Colion Noir has a very good video expanding on the concept in regards to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZHMRhsjPk

[video=youtube;zCZHMRhsjPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZHMRhsjPk[/video]

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...The only people who you would see carrying a gun in public would be the police, security guards, train station guards, airport security, and cash-in-transit guards.
And criminals - of course you wouldn't see theirs.

Are firearm laws consistent from state to state?

DW98

And criminals - of course you wouldn't see theirs.

Exactly. I read today that police officers want to start carrying semi-automatic rifles to defend themselves. Why can't citizens at least have the right to defend themselves in their own homes?

No, they vary. Some states don't allow certain weapons, some states have stricter handgun laws etc. For example, NSW only allows a maximum 10 rounds plus 1 in the chamber. South Australia (and others) allow 30 round mags. Someone told me that the Northern Territory does not have a mag limit, but I haven't really looked into it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Exactly. I read today that police officers want to start carrying semi-automatic rifles to defend themselves. Why can't citizens at least have the right to defend themselves in their own homes?

Because they DON'T want you to be able to protect yourselves from THEM. Plain and simple.

DW98

Because they DON'T want you to be able to protect yourselves from THEM. Plain and simple.

Yep...

Something interesting I've noticed from looking at American houses on Google Maps, the majority of people don't have fences and side/front gates etc. I'm sure many do, but over here you just don't see houses where you can just walk around the house without having to go over a wall or gate. I've also noticed rural properties don't even have back fences. Crazy.

CCTV cameras have been going up rapidly in my area lately. Guess that gun control is working well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DW98

Correction: The police want fully automatic rifles, not semi-automatic. Something is definitely going on.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yep...

Something interesting I've noticed from looking at American houses on Google Maps, the majority of people don't have fences and side/front gates etc. I'm sure many do, but over here you just don't see houses where you can just walk around the house without having to go over a wall or gate. I've also noticed rural properties don't even have back fences. Crazy.

CCTV cameras have been going up rapidly in my area lately. Guess that gun control is working well. :rolleyes:

Nice that CCTV cameras are being installed ... then you (they) can reflect later on the raping that occurs.

I'll spend my $$ on guns and ammo ... I can take a pic of the perp later.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
DW98,

If you haven't already noticed, ODCO has a resident troll, that being the life-form which which posted prior to me. You will find its posts on virtually every sub-forum here.

I just wanted you to recognize that fact, recognize that we recognize it, and not feel compelled to speak with it.

DW98

Nice that CCTV cameras are being installed ... then you (they) can reflect later on the raping that occurs.

I'll spend my $$ on guns and ammo ... I can take a pic of the perp later.

I'd have to ask myself the following:

1) Can I escape before he kills me?
2) Does the intruder understand the laws about entering ones premises uninvited?
3) Should I try and negotiate with him?
4) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
5) Could I somehow knock the gun out of his hand?
6) If I call the police and wait, will they save me from impending death?
7) Will I be able to get the gun out of the safe and load it before my family and I are killed?
8) Why do I own a firearm in the first place, and what kind of message does this send to society?
9) Should I shoot to wound or kill?
10) Am I ready for the ensuring legal trial and scrutiny?

:rolleyes:

Edit: Recent photo after the NSW bushfires
859321-8e7d5f54-39f9-11e3-a826-323d4d841c99.jpg

I wonder what would happen if they acted on that.

Last edited:

DW98

I called the Northern Territory gun registry and they say there are no mag restrictions. It might be time to move.