• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland County Executive spews hatred toward Open Carriers

Thundar

Link: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/08/l_brooks_patterson_slams_gun-t.html

L. Brooks Patterson slams gun 'zealots,' but Gov. Granholm says change in state law unlikely

Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson on Tuesday joined a heated -- but seemingly settled -- debate over whether holstered firearms should be allowed at the Arts, Beats and Eats festival scheduled for Labor Day weekend in Royal Oak.

The City Commission on Monday night voted to remove a ban on firearms from the contract between Royal Oak and festival organizers in the wake of pressure from open-carry advocates.

"These guys want to make a point and don't give a damn about the charities the festival supports," the Republican leader and festival founder told The Oakland Press. "I have a problem with these gun-toting zealots."

Patterson told the newspaper he's received dozens of calls from people who say they won't come to the festival for fear of safety and, in typical firebrand fashion, offered a bold suggestion: "If they want to carry guns, why don't they join the army and get their asses over to Afghanistan?"

----------------------------------------------
Excerpt ... Click link above for full article
----------------------------------------------

Hey L. Brooks Patterson. Join the Army - really??? What a telling statement. I have a better idea. If you don't like the fundamental rights that the people of Michigan have, why don't you move to Chicago, or better yet Toronto.

Hey Terry Drinkwine. Carrying firearms chills the 1st A fundamental right, really??? So because you have a (factually incorrect) strange perception about the lawful carry of firearms, you advocate extinguishing another fundamental right? Some would even argue that the carriage of firearms is protected 1st A speech.

Sefner

I really hope a ton of OC'ers attend the event and that.... nothing happens. To those attending, remember the effort it took to get there, don't blow it, don't get trolled into causing a scene, be polite, hold doors, smile and say hi to people. Be seen talking to the police, smiling at them and shaking their hands. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this board, but I don't know where to reach the others =P

SlowDog

My response to lame broke "richard" patterson, I did serve for this country. Guaranteeing your right to make such ignorant statements. May I suggest, that we draft legislation to go through a 12 hour course/class with a $105 background check and finger printing by Law Enforcement so you may access your first amendment right that you so love. And then you might know what we went through to access our second amendment rights guaranteed by the same constitution/bill of rights that you so love to interpret for what you want it to say and not for what it really says... Just sayin...

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

The United States of America is a country built upon the foundation of rights with a framework of laws inhabited by individual people who all have opinions.

When the opinions of those in power are used to make laws that restrict rights then this country becomes a place where there are no rights... only laws made to fit the opinions, and agenda, of those in power.

When that happens no right... not one... is safe from having laws made to take them away.

History is filled with examples of countries where this has happened.... and each and every government official that facilitated subjugating it's people by making laws that take away rights used the same type of disparaging rhetoric as Mr. Patterson.

This entire issue, at it's core, is not about guns or rights... it is all about government, and individual government officials, amassing power over the people... while using rhetoric to stir the emotions of the people themselves in order to amass that power.

stainless1911

Banned
My response to lame broke "richard" patterson, I did serve for this country. Guaranteeing your right to make such ignorant statements. May I suggest, that we draft legislation to go threw a 12 hour course/class with a $105 background check and finger printing by Law Enforcement so you may access your first amendment right that you so love. And then you might what we went threw to access our second amendment rights guaranteed by the constitution/bill of rights that you so love to interpret for what you want it to say and not for what it really says... Just sayin...

Don't forget to make provisions in the law so that your rights can be suspended or revoked, and to allow for fines and jail time based on minimal evidence, minor infractions (like traffic violations), or the testimony of another citizen who doesn't like what you are doing.

Michigander

2 thoughts. First, the comment about enlisting to carry guns is strikingly parallel to Hitler's suggestion that civilians who want to use firearms should join the SS.

Second, he and every other person who has a problem with guns at AB&E should also be campaigning to prevent the police from being there armed, because if that's not what he wants, he's insinuating that the police are somehow more responsible with firearms, which many of us here have personal experiences that tell us the exact opposite is often true. In either case, my message to him is to get a clue and stop running his mouth in a way contrary to his oath of office, and contrary to the safety and rights of the people he claims to serve.

Last edited:

jt59

Former Michagander/Appleknocker/UP'er

Well said,

Let him rant...then vote him out if you can....call him out for the anti rights agenda that he has.....forward his name to any supporting political groups that can make a difference....and have a good time at the fair....take your recorders!

The United States of America is a country built upon the foundation of rights with a framework of laws inhabited by individual people who all have opinions.

When the opinions of those in power are used to make laws that restrict rights then this country becomes a place where there are no rights... only laws made to fit the opinions, and agenda, of those in power.

When that happens no right... not one... is safe from having laws made to take them away.

History is filled with examples of countries where this has happened.... and each and every government official that facilitated subjugating it's people by making laws that take away rights used the same type of disparaging rhetoric as Mr. Patterson.

This entire issue, at it's core, is not about guns or rights... it is all about government, and individual government officials, amassing power over the people... while using rhetoric to stir the emotions of the people themselves in order to amass that power.

lapeer20m

Yeah, that was me. Thanks for the compliment. Of course, as soon as I hung up, I thought of about 30 more things I could have said.

on was on hold waiting to talk while listening to your conversation. I was on hold for about 20 min's then they told me they were out of time and i could call back next hour. I was unable to call back because by then i was at work.

Slave

Wow, more rebublicans looking to hurt 2A.

I don't know guys, this could be bad.

I was lead to believe that libs where the evil party led by Obama. Rebulicans look to be worse. Patterson is red, the Bradys are red.

Dr. Todd showed plenty of red hate for guns.

If this crap keeps up, this low murmur will reach a pitch and vote pandering dems will come for our guns, and it looks like the conservatives will be leading the charge.

I stand by my statement: There is no magical party for gun rights. Hate dems all you want, you need to look at the GOP just as hard. Stop hating people who voted for Obama, he seems to hate guns less than GOP does here. DON'T VOTE FOR A PARTY IN NOVEMBER, VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE WHO SUPPORTS OUR RIGHTS. I don't care what party he/she is. These people will all be vote pandering soon, our 2A rights will be under attack soon.

stainless1911

Banned
There is no magical party for gun rights. Hate dems all you want, you need to look at the GOP just as hard. Stop hating people who voted for Obama, he seems to hate guns less than GOP does here. DON'T VOTE FOR A PARTY IN NOVEMBER, VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE WHO SUPPORTS OUR RIGHTS. I don't care what party he/she is. These people will all be vote pandering soon, our 2A rights will be under attack soon.

Very true. Although I don't like Obama, he hasn't done much for or against guns. Except for becoming the gun salesman of the year.

My spellcheck doesn't recognize him either:p

Last edited:

CoonDog

Slave, just wanted to reiterate what I'm sure you already know: both major parties support a large government infrastructure. Once drunk on power, they see no reason to give it up and, instead, as Billy Idol would say, "want more, more, more".

jershell99

on was on hold waiting to talk while listening to your conversation. I was on hold for about 20 min's then they told me they were out of time and i could call back next hour. I was unable to call back because by then i was at work.

Yeah, I waited 45 minutes to speak my peace and had to suffer through LBP and his hate filled speech. I was 30 min late to work, but I think it was worth it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Slave, just wanted to reiterate what I'm sure you already know: both major parties support a large government infrastructure. Once drunk on power, they see no reason to give it up and, instead, as Billy Idol would say, "want more, more, more".

I think it was Andre Marrou, Libertarian Candidate for President who said: "The Democrats want to be your Mommy and the Republicans want to be your Daddy... Libertarians just want to let you be".

wolverine1856

Wow, more rebublicans looking to hurt 2A.

I don't know guys, this could be bad.

I was lead to believe that libs where the evil party led by Obama. Rebulicans look to be worse. Patterson is red, the Bradys are red.

Dr. Todd showed plenty of red hate for guns.

Why do you feel the need to keep pushing your Republican hate and Obama love crap here? Obama and the liberal party today are the greatest enemies of gun owners! This has been proven over and over again but apparently you don’t get it.

I read Dr Todd's response cherry picking a few examples throughout time (parties change over time) that does not make him the end all authority or end of anything. You can keep quoting him (as that somehow brings validity to your asinine argument) and saying what you want but drawing such conclusions just shows the depth of your thought process.

Here are some Obama quotes/votes on gun issues taken from “on the isseues.org”:
•Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
•FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
•Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
•Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
•2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
•Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
•Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
•Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
•Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
•Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
•Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

That does not include his recent quotes on support for global gun regulations. His speech supporting the Mexican President when he blamed America for the border gun issues while on American soil no less. The list can go on and on but that is all the work I am going to do to try and prove a point to a person who has no interest in seeing the truth.

As for the rest of his party, explain to me why the states with the most restrictive gun laws also just happen to be controlled by the Liberals and Dems? Examples for the simple minds, IL, CT, NY, MA, MD, NJ, RI, CA, DC, and I will add WI since they have a Dem Governor that has twice vetoed the legislation to allow concealed carry for everybody (that should change this year).

Yep that sure sounds like Obama and his liberal cronies are strong friends of everyday gun owners. Get a clue!

As for the OP I will be letting LBP know how I feel about his statements.

Last edited:

Agent1

Here are some Obama quotes/votes on gun issues taken from “on the isseues.org”:
•Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
•FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
•Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
•Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
•2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
•Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
•Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
•Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
•Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
•Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
•Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

Don't for get this one from last week...... http://www.opposingviews.com/i/obama-bans-more-than-100-000-american-made-rifles