• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question to Reloaders with "Knowledgeable Experience."

CenTex

Please, no guesses. If you don't know the answer, may I ask you to refrain from answering. I do not want to suffer from an accident or end up killing myself.

I've been reloading my own cartridges in my garage. Do any of you knowledgeable reloaders know if static electricity will set off smokeless powder? I would like to load at my desk during inclement weather where I also have my computer set up and turned on. Do I need to turn off my computer before I use the smokeless powder?

Thank you for your answers.

CenTex

CenTex

Static electricity can create a spark and a spark can ignite smokeless powder. Discharge yourself before handling powder.

Thank you for your reply. I always discharge myself before I touch my computer; I can see that it is more important before handling gun powder. KaBoom is bad.

irish52084

There are grounding wristbands you can buy if you have a good ground nearby. Then you wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to discharge. I don't think they're very expensive, probably less than $20.

CenTex

There are grounding wristbands you can buy if you have a good ground nearby. Then you wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to discharge. I don't think they're very expensive, probably less than $20.

Thank you. Yes, I know about those grounding wristbands. I should get one, or make one myself, if I decide to reload sitting next to my computer.

Last edited: