• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 Yr old open carry 12 ga. shotgun. Bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

str3ngthz

Hi,
All I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to carry an unloaded 12 gauge shotgun primarily at night while I jog for protection from mainly wildlife. I'd keep a few shells in a pocket. I can't jog during daylight because I work pretty much all of the daylight. What do you guys think? I live in Oro Valley, Arizona on the wealthier side of town... so the cops here are a little more "paranoid" you could say. In AZ YOU HAVE TO BE 21 TO OWN A HANDGUN. You don't need a permit to open/conceal carry, or carry in a vehicle (which is what I do A LOT) I'm not trying to scare anyone, even though anyone who open carries is going to scare at least 1 person. I simply want to carry it for my protection. So is it a good idea? By the way If I've posted at the wrong place... why don't you tell me which is the CORRECT place to post. And if it really offends you THAT MUCH... consider this... I also own a Marlin 795 .22LR....LOOOONG RIFLE Should I carry that instead of the shotgun? If I've contradicted myself or if I sound like a complete retard, just tell me. I grow smarter with each mistake people point out. :)

...........--Moderator Warning--
Blatant disregard for the rules will NOT be tolerated.

Also modifying your OP well into a thread is very bad form and deceptive.

Last edited:
M

McX

a little too dramatic for me, but thats just me. might attract some unwanted attention, or give someone the wrong impression. be patient young one, in a few short years you'll be able to carry one of those nasty little Judge guns. hold out until then (?).

j4l

Unless you're trying out for a Darwin Award, no, I wouldnt advise it. Think it over a second:
mutliple 911 calls of a young man running down the street with a shotgun..
responding officer: "hmm.. wonder what he's running from...."
err, no not a real bright idea.

Coyote dont like fire, if those are what you're worried about out there,just keep a pack of smokes on hand. When they get near, light it and throw it at him, he'll scamper off.
There are also dog versions of Mace and the like. But a full-blown shotgun?
The jackrabbits arent going to hurt you, and snakes?..we'll if you are already running, just keep running.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
A friend of mine open-carried his shotgun and the police actually took him home and talked with his parents.

Talked with his parents? Was he over 18? If so, why would the cops talk to the parents? They aren't legal guardians anymore at that age. I'm not up on all the Arizona laws, but if you are sure it is a legal activity, the police have no grounds to seize your person.

If the activity is legal, you can do it, but be prepared to be hassled by police and be prepared not to make any incriminating statements. Is there a place where you can hike or run out of sight of people that pass by?

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Hi,
All I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to carry an unloaded 12 gauge shotgun primarily at night while I jog for protection from mainly wildlife. I'd keep a few shells in a pocket. I can't jog during daylight because I work pretty much all of the daylight. What do you guys think? I live in Oro Valley, Arizona on the wealthier side of town... so the cops here are a little more "unforgiving" or "paranoid" you could say. A friend of mine open-carried his shotgun and the police actually took him home and talked with his parents. I'm not trying to start anything or display authority over anyone! I simply want to carry it for my protection. So is it a good idea?

I won't make a comment about the actual question you asked, however, I do not see the logic behind having an unloaded weapon. By the time you load, you'd be in serious trouble. If you are going to carry a weapon, keep it loaded unless the law doesn't allow it.

SavageOne

I would think a full size shotgun would be a little awkward. If a shotgun is what you want, however, may I suggest the Taurus Judge. You'd get a .410 shotgun and still be able to load .45 Long Colt as well. Judges are BHRs(big honking revolvers) but IMHO far more manageable than a long gun for jogging. They make both hip holsters and shoulder rigs for it so you could find something very comfortable to you.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Hi,
All I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to carry an unloaded 12 gauge shotgun primarily at night while I jog for protection from mainly wildlife. I'd keep a few shells in a pocket. I can't jog during daylight because I work pretty much all of the daylight. What do you guys think? I live in Oro Valley, Arizona on the wealthier side of town... so the cops here are a little more "unforgiving" or "paranoid" you could say. A friend of mine open-carried his shotgun and the police actually took him home and talked with his parents. I'm not trying to start anything or display authority over anyone! I simply want to carry it for my protection. So is it a good idea?

I call B.S.

18 and in AZ... ya right, jogging with a shotgun...ya right, a friend did it....ya right (then contradicts that they are unforgiving/paranoid), can only run at night....ya right....

All B.S. !!!

In addition you are violating forum rules as OC of long guns is off topic.

KBCraig

Nonsense trollery aside (jogging with a shotgun? really?), this bears repeating:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nonsense trollery aside (jogging with a shotgun? really?), this bears repeating:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

The OP should have read the rules, spent some time reading/perusing the site . Then he/she might not have already won the coveted T -ROLL on a similar fashion and become totally self defining.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
/me questions his identity now. :p

If it's not an AK Pistol, it's a sissy gun.

I'll ignore the slur directed to my 1911 and point out that you have just WON!

3K allows you to claim your free cup of coffee and a sit down any time you are within rock throwing distance. :lol:

ehewitt1990

Hi,
All I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to carry an unloaded 12 gauge shotgun primarily at night while I jog for protection from mainly wildlife. I'd keep a few shells in a pocket. I can't jog during daylight because I work pretty much all of the daylight. What do you guys think? I live in Oro Valley, Arizona on the wealthier side of town... so the cops here are a little more "paranoid" you could say. In AZ YOU HAVE TO BE 21 TO OWN A HANDGUN. I'm not trying to scare anyone, even though anyone who open carries is going to scare at least 1 person. I simply want to carry it for my protection. So is it a good idea? By the way If I've posted at the wrong place... why don't you tell me which is the CORRECT place to post. And if it really offends you THAT MUCH... consider this... I also own a Marlin 795 .22LR.... Should I carry that instead of the shotgun?

you do NOT have to be 21 to openly carry a handgun. I don't know where you got that information from, but it is completely false. I OC everyday, and am only 20. You need to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer, but you can legally buy one through a private sale. Please read up on the laws.

And although legal, I wouldn't "jog" with a 12 gauge, or walk around in public with one period. It just seems like it would cause a lot of unwanted attention. And since you are obviously unaware of the gun laws in AZ, i would suggest not carry a gun period until you know these laws very very well. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi,
All I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to carry an unloaded 12 gauge shotgun primarily at night while I jog for protection from mainly wildlife. I'd keep a few shells in a pocket. I can't jog during daylight because I work pretty much all of the daylight. What do you guys think? I live in Oro Valley, Arizona on the wealthier side of town... so the cops here are a little more "paranoid" you could say. In AZ YOU HAVE TO BE 21 TO OWN A HANDGUN. I'm not trying to scare anyone, even though anyone who open carries is going to scare at least 1 person. I simply want to carry it for my protection. So is it a good idea? By the way If I've posted at the wrong place... why don't you tell me which is the CORRECT place to post. And if it really offends you THAT MUCH... consider this... I also own a Marlin 795 .22LR.... Should I carry that instead of the shotgun?

You were so advised in post #10 with a full quote of the rule that long gun carry was OFF TOPIC for this forum, then you go back and edit your original post to reopen the question about whether another long gun would be appropriate. What does it take to convince you that rules are there for a reason?

str3ngthz

Thanks for the advice man!

a little too dramatic for me, but thats just me. might attract some unwanted attention, or give someone the wrong impression. be patient young one, in a few short years you'll be able to carry one of those nasty little Judge guns. hold out until then (?).
Thanks for the advice!

str3ngthz

Agreed

you do NOT have to be 21 to openly carry a handgun. I don't know where you got that information from, but it is completely false. I OC everyday, and am only 20. You need to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer, but you can legally buy one through a private sale. Please read up on the laws.

And although legal, I wouldn't "jog" with a 12 gauge, or walk around in public with one period. It just seems like it would cause a lot of unwanted attention. And since you are obviously unaware of the gun laws in AZ, i would suggest not carry a gun period until you know these laws very very well. :D
Thanks for the advice

str3ngthz

ok Ill do it...

You were so advised in post #10 with a full quote of the rule that long gun carry was OFF TOPIC for this forum, then you go back and edit your original post to reopen the question about whether another long gun would be appropriate. What does it take to convince you that rules are there for a reason?
Well thank you for giving me the rundown. I'll try to remove this post ASAP seeing how I already got the info I needed.

...........--Moderator Note--
You may edit your own posts, but not complete threads.
Strongly encourage you to read the forum rules.

...............Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.