• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you do when you don't submit extra information to a local issuing authority?

KIX

This was a good discussion I had with a bunch of people (instructors and those active in the legislative process) at the Legislative Office Building at last weeks hearing.

As many of you know, I regularly attend BFPE (Board Firearms Permit Examiners) hearings. So I continued the discussion there, informally with members of the board.

In talking with many of my friends and associates active in the movement, we pondered the question. One person said "send it certified mail". All this does is put the checks in their hands, application, pictures and then it gets set aside because you didn't furnish what the issuing authority deemed as necessary information to help them assess your suitability.

Often, an applicant may bring the paperwork, only to be denied because they don't furnish extra information. Especially with the Norwalk application which is an INSANE app that asks for medical, semi racial (skin complexion, manner of speech) and other insane information.

In talking to the members of the board, I learned what can be done.

If a town does not accept your paperwork, and you've supplied the information that is required by the state, don't get discouraged and make sure you don't submit to their demeaning demands. You can take the name of the person who refuses to accept your paperwork, date and time and contact the BFPE.

From the BFPE's perspective, that was an immediate denial.

It will still take time to get a hearing, maybe they'll contact the town to set them straight. Either way, you can get your hearing and move forward. If they contact the local issuing authority, maybe they will take the information you have and go from there.

I'm curious where this will go from there as I don't know anyone that knew this was an option. I plan to put this on my website (ctpistolpermitissues.com) later this week and solicit feedback from anyone that goes through the process this way.

The site is new, I'm adding copies of paperwork for various towns as soon as I figure out a technical issue with the wiki and it's interaction with the blog software.

If anyone has ideas on what to put on the site as well, please let me know. I'm hoping to document this information online and help people going through the process.

Jonathan

dcmdon

So you are saying that the BFPE has told you that they will consider a refusal to accept an application that meets the requirements of the statute, but which does not include all the other crap, as a denial?

If so, thats fantastic news, and another reason that the BFPE can't be made a part of the DPS.

Don

dcmdon

Kix,

One other question. I remember reading where the BFPE ordered a town/city recently to issue a permit. The town refused.

Aparently there is no recourse other than to take the town to court.

Is there any other mechanism for the BFPE to have a state permit issued directly?

KIX

As to your first post - exactly. This is what I heard from the board directly last week when I was at the monthly hearing.

I can inquire about the second question and follow up here. I thought they could issue via DPS, but it would really help if I had a name as you can hear the audio of the specific case on the BFPE website.

I'll look into it, but if you knew the town, name and possible date or month.

Would be interesting to follow that indeed.

Jonathan

KIX

Thanx Rich,

I didn't know where or what. But, I'll look into this and post any findings I have here.

Even if I contact the board secretary and ask for follow up information at the very least.

Interesting read.

Jonathan

gluegun

If a town does not accept your paperwork, and you've supplied the information that is required by the state, don't get discouraged and make sure you don't submit to their demeaning demands. You can take the name of the person who refuses to accept your paperwork, date and time and contact the BFPE.

From the BFPE's perspective, that was an immediate denial.

Thanks for the info KIX. I'll get this included in the CCDL's permit issues section.

KIX

Catch me at the dinner tomorrow and I'll give you all the details.

Jonathan