• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First bad experience

SovereignAxe

I wonder if this officer was told to discourage oc...and was not really telling the truth. Has anyone actually been arrested for oc in north carolina? Man I wish I was actually friends with a cop from this state because I would really like to know if anyone has ever been arrested and charged (even if dropped later) on this, or are officers being encouraged to discourage whenever possible.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

A good portion of my fiancee's family are police in WNC, mostly in Avery and Watauga counties. Next time I get a chance, I'll ask them about this. Considering it's a pretty rural area, I'd say OC may be somewhat common, and with a LOT of out of towners from Florida in the area pretty much all the time (Beech and Sugar Mtns and Boone seem to attract them for some reason), I'd say MWAG calls from them might happen once in a while.

importinvasion

A good portion of my fiancee's family are police in WNC, mostly in Avery and Watauga counties. Next time I get a chance, I'll ask them about this. Considering it's a pretty rural area, I'd say OC may be somewhat common, and with a LOT of out of towners from Florida in the area pretty much all the time (Beech and Sugar Mtns and Boone seem to attract them for some reason), I'd say MWAG calls from them might happen once in a while.

I would really appreciate this. I would love an honest answer as to whether these arrests ACTUALLY happen, or is it just a scare tactic used by these departments to get people to keep it concealed..... my cc class is this week, but I would like to continue oc, but a clean record is also important to me. STRESS to say the least

nobama

Just a word of warning. I dont know who is giving your cc class,but if they tell you about oc laws, do not take it to heart. I was told by my cc instructor that oc in a place that serves alcohol was ok, so I did, until I found out otherwise. I was lucky.

importinvasion

Yeah, thanks. I really don't have an issue with leaving my gun in my car safe when I visit places serving alcohol. Its all the other places that upset me. Thanks

rotorhead

Just a word of warning. I dont know who is giving your cc class,but if they tell you about oc laws, do not take it to heart. I was told by my cc instructor that oc in a place that serves alcohol was ok, so I did, until I found out otherwise. I was lucky.

Methinks your instructor was confusing the fact that there is no law against OCing and having alcohol in your system, while there is against CHP holders who are carrying concealed. Carrying a firearm, OC or CC, in an establishment where alcohol is both sold and consumed is, as you know now, illegal :)

HandyHamlet

I've noticed a common trend between multiply posts in this forum....

Gee. Can I live in your world of unicorns and rainbows and sugarplum fairies?

You sure blow hard about respect. Well, you might want to respect this.

Never talk to police.

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

Last edited:

Dreamer

BTW, the case law on GATTOTP is State v Huntley. When they realize you actually know the case law on the subject it seems to get their attention.

Well you are right, and wrong. Quoting the Constitution and Case Law WILL get their attention, but not in the way you are thinking. If anything, in the case of a power-tripping LEO, it will just raise their suspicions. They are actually being trained by DHS to see anyone who quotes the Constitution, Statutes, or Case Law as some sort of nut-case "Sovereign Citizen" domestic terrorist, or some other sort of dangerous, home-grown fruitcake who probably has a car full of fertilizer and diesel fuel...

This is the training that local LEAs are receiving from the Feds. Anyone who knows and can quote the Law is an enemy of the state if they are not wearing a badge, or are a state-employed attorney.

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

WTFOVER

Gee. Can I live in your world of unicorns and rainbows and sugarplum fairies?

You sure blow hard about respect. Well, you might want to respect this.

Never talk to police.

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

Why would I want to respect some Youtube video that is posted by someone that isn't even from NC?

PistolPackingMomma

Why would I want to respect some Youtube video that is posted by someone that isn't even from NC?

If geography has any correlation to intellect, then where are YOU from?

By the way, if you want people to give respect, you might want to earn it, and reciprocate in kind.

Sc0tt

Because not only is it sound legal advice from a lawyer, but an clear example of how to police abuse your rights?

Dreamer

Founding Fathers were terrorists, as are ANY Americans who question the "official story" on any controversial event in recent history, according to FEMA, and this is what they are using FEDERAL FUNDS to teach local LEOs...

http://wearechangetv.us/2011/12/fem...tates-u-s-founded-on-terrorism/#axzz1iGewCiDi

[video=youtube;ZPg9MdN9Gio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPg9MdN9Gio[/video]

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/edu/...5CSession2.doc

http://open.salon.com/blog/ghost_writer_1/2011/07/25/dhs_white_middle_class_americans_are_terrorists

http://tulsachange.com/fusion-center-documents-label-okc-bombing-investigators-as-terrorists

But at least SOME of the media still have a rational view of the TRUE costs and nature of "terrorism" like "Harpers":

http://harpers.org/archive/2004/03/0079957

Dreamer

Yeah, thanks. I really don't have an issue with leaving my gun in my car safe when I visit places serving alcohol. Its all the other places that upset me. Thanks

Well, you SHOULD have an issue with it. According to the NC DOJ's own statistics, over 70% of the handguns reported stolen in NC are stolen from vehicles.

The laws that prohibit us from carrying lawfully (OC or CC) in places that serve alcohol, or placed that charge admission actually PUT guns into the hands of criminals, by making us leave our firearms unattended in vehicles in unsecure, unpatrolled parking lots. This law actually CAUSES violent crime, by making it easy for criminals to steal guns.

Almost every other state in the region allows some form of carry in these venues (OC or CC if you have a permit) ncluding PA, WV, VA, and even MD (if you have a permit).

VA has had OC in restaurants that serve alcohol for years, and passed CC in such venues over a year ago, and there is not blood running in the streets in VA. In fact, quite the opposite. With the exception of Richmond (which has the most egregiously prohibitive firearms laws in the State, many of which are arguably not legal under the VA Constitution), violent crime in VA is down, and is MUCH lower than violent crime in DC and MD...

Understanding that NC has such silly, nonsensical prohibitions on lawful carry, I remain perplexed as to how NC rates as a "Gold Star State" for OC on OCDO's ratings. We can't carry in restaruants, movie theaters, many public parks, in ANY government office buildings, or State colleges or universities...

Smith45acp

There is a very good reason for that. Shortly after Georgia Carry hit some PD's with lawsuits, the chief decided he wanted none of that up here. They sent out a training memo and it was addressed at the beginning of every shift. Simply OC'ing is not GATTTOTP was the gist of it. They can make contact, but no detentions or charges for simply carrying. A family member in the meeting told me about it.

Who / what is Georgia Carry?

aosailor

You take your class in Moresville? Sounds like we may have had the same instructor. I still cant believe I'm not in jail from the the crap I did because of him! He said it was ok to cc in resturants as long as you didnt sit at the bar and drink. He told us that if we were sitting in a resturant and wanted to order a beer all we had to do was pull out our gun and toss it on the table! No longer concealed, drink away!

ArmySoldier22

You take your class in Moresville? Sounds like we may have had the same instructor. I still cant believe I'm not in jail from the the crap I did because of him! He said it was ok to cc in resturants as long as you didnt sit at the bar and drink. He told us that if we were sitting in a resturant and wanted to order a beer all we had to do was pull out our gun and toss it on the table! No longer concealed, drink away!

I think he secretly works for DHS

WNCTarheel

And to add, I can think of one arrest and prosecution for GATTTOTP. Joseph McVey at the Asheville Airport when Obama was there. It was trumped up IMO. He was probably trespassing, since guns are not allowed on airport property IIRC. But it did not fit the criteria of GATTTOTP per Huntley. He must not have had much of a lawyer.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/04/26/armed-man-arrested-near-obama-plane/

The GATTTOTP charge was dropped, as they realized they could not make it stick. He was eventually convicted of carrying a firearm on city property. It's weird though, as you are allowed to fly with firearms in checked baggage. How are you suppose to get on the plane if you can't carry the firearm onto the airport property?

firegoddess

I'm sorry to hear that u had a bad experience OC'ing here in NC.I have been OC'ing every where I go in NC (unless posted otherwise) for several years now & as of yet have had no bad experiences.I have also been pulled over in a traffic stop & was OC'ing & didn't have a problem.Maybe it has something to do w/the fact that I am a 5'1" woman OC'ing but I don't think it has that much to do w/it.Most of the time people will just ask me if I am a cop & I say no or they ask if my gun is real but nothing really beyond that.I have a lot of friends that are cops mostly because of being a Firefighter/Medic but when it comes to cops that I don't know & I am OC'ing I keep any interaction w/them to a minimum.I think one of the biggest things when interacting w/the police is to never volunteer any info at all.Answer any direct questions w/as few words as possible while still being polite & don't go beyond that if at all possible.If it is a cop that I am friends w/then I don't really worry too much about it.I think that being polite will get you further than being nasty will but you can be polite while only answering their questions & not giving up too much info.
I hope that you will continue to OC here in NC & not let this one encounter discourage you too much.Good Luck

Firegoddess

Last edited:

dmatting

...Most of the time people will just ask me if I am a cop & I say no or they ask if my gun is real but nothing really beyond that.
The cop question is understandable but do they really think that a grown woman is carrying a toy gun on her hip? what twits...

I have a lot of friends that are cops mostly because of being a Firefighter/Medic...
Are you allowed to carry while on the job as a firefighter/medic?

but when it comes to cops that I don't know & I am OC'ing I keep any interaction w/them to a minimum.I think one of the biggest things when interacting w/the police is to never volunteer any info at all.Answer any direct questions w/as few words as possible while still being polite & don't go beyond that if at all possible.If it is a cop that I am friends w/then I don't really worry too much about it.I think that being polite will get you further than being nasty will but you can be polite while only answering their questions & not giving up too much info.
I would suggest that you say even less than just a few words - actually nothing.

Unless I was a witness to a crime - but I'm not sure how to approach that scenario. Maybe others can suggest how to go about doing that - should a witness have a lawyer present during questioning by the police?