• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg welcomes new gunsmith

TFred

Repairs, buys, trades, sells.

Just saw this, haven't been there yet.

ETA: Stopped by the place tonight on my way home from work. Hours 10 to 7 weekdays. Hope to make it during hours for a visit soon. Had a printed page taped to the door listing the calibers of ammo he had in stock, which was fairly long! I guess the prices will tell the rest of the story.

TFred
Gunsmith opens on Sophia Street

A business that specializes in repairing firearms has opened in downtown Fredericksburg.

Mike Butkus opened Gunsmithing With Honors last month at 502 Sophia St. He plans a grand opening this weekend.

The business buys, sells and trades guns, but it focuses on repairs. Butkus completed a gunsmithing program with honors from Ashworth College, hence the business’ name.

Last edited by a moderator:

TFred

Stopped by earlier today. The owner was not there, but I did have a nice chat with the guy who was there. Definitely set up to be primarily a gunsmith, very small inventory, and they don't plan to change that. He said they could get "anything" though. :) They did have a very few guns on consignment. Not what I would call "a lot" of ammo, but more than Walmart currently has on the shelves. The one price I checked did seem competitive, $20 for a box of Federal Fusion in .308 Winchester.

For those familiar with Fredericksburg, they are in a small building right across the street from Brock's very close to the railroad tracks. Parking is not plentiful, you can't park in the Brock's parking lot, but there is parking on the street in front of Brock's. And even in the worst case, it's only about a block from the city's parking garage, which is free for the first two hours.

Here's a Google street view of the store. This is old, so it doesn't look like this now, but he's in the blue-painted building on the right, which is now all white. The intersection ahead is Sophia and Lafayette, and of course that's the railroad bridge in the background.

http://goo.gl/maps/Kbuw2

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
HEY, TRICORN! Welcome back!

OP related: Anyone have any experience with their gunsmithing capabilities? "With honors" from an online school is suspicious to me, but the guy could have outstanding capabilities and got the paper just to have a credential to hang on the wall. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has seemed necessary.

TFred

HEY, TRICORN! Welcome back!

OP related: Anyone have any experience with their gunsmithing capabilities? "With honors" from an online school is suspicious to me, but the guy could have outstanding capabilities and got the paper just to have a credential to hang on the wall. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has seemed necessary.
He's only been open about a month, so no word on any work. I do have a co-worker who may use him soon, if I hear any feedback, I'll pass it along.

TFred

nazbom

A gunsmith?

I'm not sure how much gunsmithing this guy does. My dad took a side by side shotgun there for some hammer work and they couldn't do it, he wanted them to time the cylinder on a webley pistol and had never seen one before and declined the work. I asked if they could install and headspace the barrel on my bolt action rifle and their reply was that they didn't have the necessary machinery. So I know that if I owned the barrel wrench and action vise I could install the barrel and with the reamer I could headspace it, I'm not sure how much 'machinery' is required to install a barrel. Actually yes I do and on a bolt gun about zero, tools, yes. I don't know what gunsmithing this guy does but my father and I inquired about some really basic gunsmithing tasks and this guy was lost in the sauce.

Installing sights and things is nice but it hardly makes you a gunsmith. I know Gander Mountains gunsmith sucked but I know for a fact they installed and headspaced barrels. Fredericksburg needs a competent gunsmith, Gunsmithing with Honors really needs to step up their game if they want to be known as "gunsmiths" and not sight installers.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not much use in reviving this old thread, but just for the sake of completeness, I wanted to pass along word that Gunsmithing with Honors closed up a few months ago.

TFred

Doesn't look like much loss TFred.
There was a new one in Petersburg that went to one oc dinner. I wonder what Happened to him.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
They are in Hopewell in the Ft. Lee area. A son & father operation.

They say our dinners are too far to go and get back before bedtime.

stay safe.