• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Relocating

AZRobert

Hey folks, I have great news!
I'm relocating to NW Portland at the end of this month. I've been lurking here for a while before I started posting. Currently I'm in Yuma AZ and our gun laws here are simple and delightful to understand.
I'm seeing that OR and WA are not so much.

Have any of you encountered any problems trying to get both your OR and WA concealed carry licenses? The reason I ask obviously being that Portland requires it if you are going to open carry a loaded weapon and WA has a very silly rule about not having a loaded handgun in your car without a WA license.
I was happy when I noticed that I can get an out of state license from WA since they don't recognize OR's license. Any one have any idea why that is?

Any suggestions or tips you can give me about OCing in Portland Metro Area? AZ has been easy as pie and I'm going to miss it for it's gun laws if nothing else.

ScottFree

As long as you have a cc permit you are good to go anywhere here in oregon (cc or oc).
I also need to get me a permit for when I travel up to Wa. to see my daughter.
You really shouldn't have any hassles here.

Cremator75

Never had a problem getting either one. As long as you meet the requirements you'll get them. For WA it was as simple as driving to Vancouver, walking in and paying, getting printed, waiting for it in the mail.

hermannr

Hey folks, I have great news!
I'm relocating to NW Portland at the end of this month. I've been lurking here for a while before I started posting. Currently I'm in Yuma AZ and our gun laws here are simple and delightful to understand.
I'm seeing that OR and WA are not so much.

Have any of you encountered any problems trying to get both your OR and WA concealed carry licenses? The reason I ask obviously being that Portland requires it if you are going to open carry a loaded weapon and WA has a very silly rule about not having a loaded handgun in your car without a WA license.
I was happy when I noticed that I can get an out of state license from WA since they don't recognize OR's license. Any one have any idea why that is?

Any suggestions or tips you can give me about OCing in Portland Metro Area? AZ has been easy as pie and I'm going to miss it for it's gun laws if nothing else.

The WA law is here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41

You might want to be especially careful when you read RCW 9.41.040, 050, 060, 070, 270, 280, 290, 300.

In WA, IF you do not meet an exception in RCW 9.41.060 (there are several, and (8) is the most frequently used as just about anything can be an "outdoor recreational activity) you cannot have you pistol loaded WHILE in a vehicle. You can still have your pistol in a holster on your hip. You can have the ammo/mag anywhere, except inserted in the weapon. RCW 9.41.010 has the definition of loaded.

You also need to remember, in WA, you can never have a loaded long gun "in or on" a vehicle unless you have a disabled hunters license.

One very good thing in WA, the law is the same everywhere...there are no local "options" except as specifically stated in .300 and they are the same everywhere, this goes for licensed OC or CC or unlicensed OC. WA CPL is very easy if you are not a "prohibited person" (feds definition). Walk into any Sheriff's office, fill out the short paperwork, give the clerk $52.25, have your fingerprints taken (takes all of 15 minutes) and if you choose you sheriff carefully, you will receive your CPL in the mail in a couple days. Some (not so 2A friendly) Sheriff's will take the whole 60 days they are allowed, some Sheriff's will have it to you in a couple days.

Unlicensed OC in WA is very easy and the restrictions are minimum. Bars (posted "21 and over only" by the liquor control board. Restaurants that serve are ok, and you may drink, limits are the same as for driving), schools, courts, restricted areas of a jail or police office (public areas ok, they have lock boxes available if the area is restricted)

The problem in Oregon is ORS 166.173, and they do have a "local option" to restrict any UNLICENSED open carry... you're moving to Portland.. this will apply to you as both Portland and Multnomah Co have exercised that "option". If you are going to live in Portland, an OR CHL is almost mandatory, to loaded OC or CC.

OK, why does WA not recognize OR? Because OR will not recognize WA. OR does not recognize any other states license to carry a concealed weapon. They could, but they have never been forced to. I cannot find the particular law, but if I remember correctly it states that the "Oregon state police"? can "investigate"? reciprocity with other states... but nothing has ever come from that (and maybe it's gone now, I lived in OR years ago. I try to keep up with both states as I have children and grandchildren in both states.) WA requirements are in RCW 9.41.073. Biggest stumbling block for WA recognition/reciprocity by other states is the "does not issue to anyone under 21 years old"

Last edited: