• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ladies with CPL's, The Seattle Times would like your help

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I was contacted the other night by Erica and talked with her for quite a while. Here's your chance ladies to get the info out there.

My name is Erika Schultz, and I work as a staff photographer at The Seattle Times.

I'm working on a series of photographic portraits of women who are have Concealed Pistol Licenses in Washington state. We've been looking at the data, and there has been an increase in CPL's over the last few years in our state, particularly among women.

For the project, I'm looking to photograph a diversity of women with their guns (at their homes or in their community) with accompanying text to paint a picture of why it's important for them to have a CPL. I'm trying to find as many women possible to represent a cross-section of ages, cultural backgrounds, locations in our state and reasons why women have a CPL.

If you know of anyone who may be interested, could you have them contact me at: eschultz@seattletimes.com.
And fill out:

Name:
Email:
Years with CPL:
A few sentences why it is important for them to have a CPL:

(This initial information would not be published, but just be used to information gathering.)

You can view some of my previous work from the 'Times, here: http://seattletimes.com/html/photogalleries/photography2004165744/

Thanks for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Erika

Bill Starks

State Researcher
M1gunner I presume?
Will ask my woman if she's interested.

M1Gunr actually. I talked to this woman for quite a while last night. She's very interested and and actually took the time to look up some of the laws and allowed me to fill her in on state laws and carrying. My wife is going to submit info and I think the story will be a good one.

FattyKrack

M1Gunr actually. I talked to this woman for quite a while last night. She's very interested and and actually took the time to look up some of the laws and allowed me to fill her in on state laws and carrying. My wife is going to submit info and I think the story will be a good one.

I hope so. Sadly the very first thought that popped into me head was "which way is ST going to spin THIS one".
I do not recall a positive story regarding ANYTHING 2a related coming from them. Have only read them for a few years however.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Hi Bill,

I understand their apprehension. It's pretty scary to share your story with the public. In all honesty though, I think it's a good opportunity for gun owners to help educate the public on why they carry.

The article is a very straight forward story on the increase of CPLS in our state, particularly among women. I just got off the phone with Brian Rosenthal, our reporter. He agrees this article is an chance for women gun owners to educate and help non-gun owners understand why they carry. That's our goal.

I have a history of working with sensitive subjects, and strive to be fair when representing the individuals I photograph. If your community wants to look at previous projects, feel free to have them visit my website: www.erikajschultz.com

Also, I'm not scared of guns or have an particular agenda. I grew up in central Wyoming, and continue to go hunting with my father, who has had a CPL for at least 10 years.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Erica

Alpine

I realize this is probably on the up and up, but after seeing a request for all this:

Name:
Email:
Years with CPL:

I can't help but remember Pete Holmes's failed attempt on the Sunshine Committee to try and blow smoke and act like there was ambiguity about CPL info being protected from public disclosure in WA and attempting to help the liberal media here do what happened in NY with the gun owners map/list.

For those who aren't familiar with that, read this thread and watch the hearing video that Gogodawgs posted in it.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ants-CPL-info-to-go-public&highlight=Sunshine

In liberal WA you'd have to be awfully sure of your job not to suffer employment discrimination from many places if they found out you own guns.

Last edited:

O_Kellogg

Ummm... So, she's a "she"? And she wants to know "why women carry"?:confused:

I'm not convinced that she is our friend.:(
Just sayin'...

OK

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I realize this is probably on the up and up, but after seeing a request for all this:

I can't help but remember Pete Holmes's failed attempt on the Sunshine Committee to try and blow smoke and act like there was ambiguity about CPL info being protected from public disclosure in WA and attempting to help the liberal media here do what happened in NY with the gun owners map/list.

For those who aren't familiar with that, read this thread and watch the hearing video that Gogodawgs posted in it.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ants-CPL-info-to-go-public&highlight=Sunshine

In liberal WA you'd have to be awfully sure of your job not to suffer employment discrimination from many places if they found out you own guns.

You might also remember sometime ago there was a Washington CPL list by county.

Next I suppose instead of seeing if they are a friend of foe, we just start shooting them at the gate. Problem solved Huh? I'd suggest the "tin foil hats" come off, change your gender and submit ONLY the info you are comfortable with sending.

Alpine

You might also remember sometime ago there was a Washington CPL list by county.

Next I suppose instead of seeing if they are a friend of foe, we just start shooting them at the gate. Problem solved Huh? I'd suggest the "tin foil hats" come off, change your gender and submit ONLY the info you are comfortable with sending.

To be fair, those lists were raw total numbers and didn't identify someone.

I doubt this woman will include anyone she can't positively identify.

It's probably on the up and up, but I am so used to the Seattle Times doing hit pieces on gun owners that I am reluctant to believe they'd ever portray them in a positive light.

sudden valley gunner

To be fair, those lists were raw total numbers and didn't identify someone.

I doubt this woman will include anyone she can't positively identify.

It's probably on the up and up, but I am so used to the Seattle Times doing hit pieces on gun owners that I am reluctant to believe they'd ever portray them in a positive light.

John and I have had a few discussions with a Seattle Times reporter who treated us very fairly (and she was really cute) ;)