• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Politics of Constitutional Carry

DustoneGT

Just wanted to stir up some discussion.

It appears to me that it wouldn't have been signed if Brewer hadn't spent all her political capital on prop 100. She desperately needed to regain conservative support after backing the tax increase. As much as I hate taxes, I don't mind the small increase since it bought so much :)

I think the whole immigration debate has been beneficial to constitutional carry as well. If they weren't all distracted with 1070, there'd probably be lots of anti-carry things going on right now. However you feel about 1070, it has provided us with some cover as the law goes into effect, as the issue has been pushed to the back burner in the minds of most.

Things are even better for open carry. Phoenix and other municipalities can't prohibit unlicensed open carriers from going into the parks any more. So far I've only seen one media story out of Tucson focusing on it, and EV Tribune only touches on it briefly as part of another article about all the new laws coming into effect tomorrow. If the only gun law change this year were the park carry changes, they'd be able to focus on that and maybe they'd be putting up legal challenges to try and grandfather the cities who have the signs up now.

But they're too distracted by 1070, and the few anti-carry people who aren't are distracted by constitutional carry.

The anti-carry crowd is too overwhelmed this year to oppose us at all. It's great.

What non-open-carry related legislation should we support next year to keep them off balance again?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Eliminate the fingerprint requirement for CCW

We should work to eliminate the fingerprint requirement for CCW, and make the state sponsored lesson plan four hours, to make Arizona the goto state to get an out of state permit. We should also allow instructors to teach the state course out of state. We should eliminate the live shooting phase of the CCW course. We should also allow people who want the permit to take the test without taking the course, much like a drivers license, in order to qualify for the permit.

We should work to get rid of remaining gun free zones where police officers can carry, but their bosses (ordinary citizens) cannot.

DustoneGT

Force Reciprocity w/ Mexico and California?

I was just thinking, we could pass a law that requires California and Mexico to recognize AZ CCW permits, and state that if they don't we'll arrest one Mexican or Californian for each Arizonan who wasn't allowed to carry into Mexico or California and arrest five Mexicans or Californians for each who gets arrested for carrying and hold them indefinitely until the Arizonan gets released.

I know, it's a horrible law. It's unfair and the courts will never let it stand. But it will piss a lot of people off, they'll show up for protests, etc. But the joke's on them :)

The whole point would be to get people worked up about it so we could pass stuff like carry in schools, carry in bars and requirement that places that ban guns store the guns and are responsible for anything that happens to the disarmed gun owners, maybe require places that ban guns to use metal detectors and have armed guards.

Heck, whoever introduces it can state in the bill that it takes effect upon introduction and doesn't even have to pass to be in effect. It's totally illegal and has no standing, but the ignorant chumps won't know that and will get all angry anyway.

Now to find a senator or rep who plans to retire soon... Mwuhahahahaha

mFonz77

Well from what I hear CA is about to run out of money so maybe AZ can just take them over and extend our laws to the CA territory... :)

Sonora Rebel

Triple Zero One (0001)

In the Navy, it was the beginning of the watch... the start of the log for the day... altho it was midnite... but 0001 second past midnite was the 'next day' officially. So... at 0001 past midnite 1200 MT (for all practical purposes) tonite... Arizona marks a historic milestone that will pretty much pass unnoticed after all the hype, rhetoric and hysterics that have proceeded it. Constitutional Carry w/o permit will be a reality. This is something that many people in many states would LOVE to have... and prob'ly won't in our lifetimes. Right next door in California... it's a total mess. In more ways than just RKBA... but tyranny exists west of the Colorado. I make it a point to not go there anymore. Yeah... 1070 might not have been a slam-dunk... but it ain't over either. For now... my cup is half full. Better than none at all.

March Hare

In the Navy, it was the beginning of the watch... the start of the log for the day... altho it was midnite... but 0001 second past midnite was the 'next day' officially. So... at 0001 past midnite 1200 MT (for all practical purposes) tonite... Arizona marks a historic milestone that will pretty much pass unnoticed after all the hype, rhetoric and hysterics that have proceeded it. Constitutional Carry w/o permit will be a reality. This is something that many people in many states would LOVE to have... and prob'ly won't in our lifetimes. Right next door in California... it's a total mess. In more ways than just RKBA... but tyranny exists west of the Colorado. I make it a point to not go there anymore. Yeah... 1070 might not have been a slam-dunk... but it ain't over either. For now... my cup is half full. Better than none at all.

All I can say is Amen Brother!

exelci

Long Live Arizona

i cant wait for 12 o clock at midnight im gonna go buy me a piñata and a cake

GWbiker

And within a few days of Arizona's new Constitutional Carry gun law, the streets will be awash in blood, 'cause that's what the Daily "Red" Star and the Arizona "Repugnant" newspapers told me.

/sarcasm.

Sonora Rebel

And within a few days of Arizona's new Constitutional Carry gun law, the streets will be awash in blood, 'cause that's what the Daily "Red" Star and the Arizona "Repugnant" newspapers told me.

/sarcasm.

You would be surprised (well... maybe not) how many people don't know that AZ has always been a 'no-permit' open carry state. Many of those are 'media' types. They think in terms of permit, registration and general 'statist' control. So far... I've not heard a single news weenie make mention of this historic day. I suspect Josh Sugarman is in therapy tho...