• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Holster?

cbpeck

I just ordered a Glaco CON226B as seen in these links below, anyone has any thoughts on it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. I'll be using it to OC and when I get my permit, to CC as well.

I have three of these holsters; one for my 5" 1911 in havana & two custom made ones for my XD .40 Subcompact (black & havana).

I like them very much for OC & CC. I really like the way the holster is constructed with all of the molding done in the outside piece of leather. They are absolutely comfortable all day long. They do have a significant forward rake and carry best at 4 o'clock, so being aware of this when you OC is important. If you carry too far forward it can be difficult to draw from and too far back leaves your gun vulnerable to a grab from the back.

They have good retention for an open top holster, partially due to the forward rake, but the Level II folks won't find them satisfactory. To each his own. I like them a lot.

BTW, Mitch Rosen has a President model that is virtually identical.

strife1013

I have three of these holsters; one for my 5" 1911 in havana & two custom made ones for my XD .40 Subcompact (black & havana).

I like them very much for OC & CC. I really like the way the holster is constructed with all of the molding done in the outside piece of leather. They are absolutely comfortable all day long. They do have a significant forward rake and carry best at 4 o'clock, so being aware of this when you OC is important. If you carry too far forward it can be difficult to draw from and too far back leaves your gun vulnerable to a grab from the back.

They have good retention for an open top holster, partially due to the forward rake, but the Level II folks won't find them satisfactory. To each his own. I like them a lot.

BTW, Mitch Rosen has a President model that is virtually identical.

So for concealed carry 4 o'clock is best, what about OC, does it work okay at your 3 o'clock? I haven't gotten it, so haven't been able to play around with it.

cbpeck

So for concealed carry 4 o'clock is best, what about OC, does it work okay at your 3 o'clock? I haven't gotten it, so haven't been able to play around with it.

It carries OK at 3 o'clock. The holster rides comfortably, but the cant is a little steep to draw from when the holster is in this position. It isn't a problem with a 3" gun, but with a 5" it is a little awkward.

I usually OC with the holster at about 3:30, CC with it around 4 o'clock. The cant has the added benefit, especially with a 5", of making a gun grab from the rear even more difficult. Someone from the back would have a real hard time getting the gun out of the holster because the gun only comes out when drawn forward, so I don't worry about OCing just behind the hip.

Last edited:

strife1013

Thanks bro for the info. Great holster, well worth the money, I have enjoyed using so far, you have to break it in or you wont be able to get your gun out. I've left my gun in it for a few days straight to break in the leather and it's getting easier to get out. Good product.

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

I have three of these type holsters as well; two Galco CON440B’s and a CON441B which I had to retire. In my humble opinion these open-top style holsters are NOT ideal for OCing because all they have for retention is friction, no thumb break no retention screw. I found myself paranoid beyond belief for a gun grab when using this holster, especially after I’d broken them in real good.

If you ever find yourself in an altercation with someone and it quickly turns into a struggle or wrestling match (before you can break contact and draw) once they see or feel that you have a gun on you they are most likely going to go for your gun. At that point a thumb break and a properly tweaked retention screw can save your life or that of others.

If you are going to OC but still desire a holster that you can easily conceal from time to time this is it, because it hugs your body fairly tight, it’s profile it barely noticeable - even when OCing. May I humbly suggest the DeSantis style 001 Right Hand - Black - Lined -Thumb Break Scabbard (3 slot) 001BCB6Z0 for $60.59 at opticsplanet.com? The holster accommodates the Glock 19,23, 32. I ordered the one I needed in black basket weave with suede lining and I must say I am deeply satisfied with the holster. In my opinion, it is very elegant and secure.

Attachments

• DeSantis_Black_Basketweave.jpg
    DeSantis_Black_Basketweave.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

cbpeck

I have three of these type holsters as well; two Galco CON440B’s and a CON441B which I had to retire. In my humble opinion these open-top style holsters are NOT ideal for OCing because all they have for retention is friction, no thumb break no retention screw. I found myself paranoid beyond belief for a gun grab when using this holster, especially after I’d broken them in real good.

If you ever find yourself in an altercation with someone and it quickly turns into a struggle or wrestling match (before you can break contact and draw) once they see or feel that you have a gun on you they are most likely going to go for your gun. At that point a thumb break and a properly tweaked retention screw can save your life or that of others.

Each person has their own level of comfort, that's why there are several levels of retention.

I am comfortable with an open top leather holster, even though I do understand why others are not. I avoid altercations and am very vigilant about situational awareness when I OC. I am not LEO, so the chance of me getting into a physical altercation is exceedingly unlikely. I also do not OC all day, every day - OC is more of a special occasion - so perhaps it is more practical for me to practice acute situational awareness than it would be for someone else.

shotcop

My opinion may not be valid

Being Le, I have a point of view which may differ from many, it is however an opinion based on YEARS of everyday carry much of which was plain clothes both open and concealed. Retention other than friction is mandatory, period! Unless you can see into the future (in which case I would not have my screen name) your critical incident will unfold moment to moment. I wouldn't wear any holster I couldn't do multiple cart wheels while wearing without the gun coming out. We're talking about open carry so the bad guy knows you've got it and might want it for his own,ever seen one guy distract/start talking to someone while another comes up from behind? I've seen guns fly out of open top holsters more than once, you can't replicate the forces involved in training because they would lead to the serious injuries that occur when real! There's a reason cops use retention holsters, and we usually know more about what we're potentially getting into than you likely will, we're sent there, not just present when heck breaks loose! I like the Don Hume rig for my snubbie, it covers the rear of the trigger guard and front breaks, has to be unsnappe for you to operate and can't be rear snatched even if unsnapped. Great thread

cbpeck

Being Le, I have a point of view which may differ from many, it is however an opinion based on YEARS of everyday carry much of which was plain clothes both open and concealed. Retention other than friction is mandatory, period! Unless you can see into the future (in which case I would not have my screen name) your critical incident will unfold moment to moment. I wouldn't wear any holster I couldn't do multiple cart wheels while wearing without the gun coming out. We're talking about open carry so the bad guy knows you've got it and might want it for his own,ever seen one guy distract/start talking to someone while another comes up from behind? I've seen guns fly out of open top holsters more than once, you can't replicate the forces involved in training because they would lead to the serious injuries that occur when real! There's a reason cops use retention holsters, and we usually know more about what we're potentially getting into than you likely will, we're sent there, not just present when heck breaks loose! I like the Don Hume rig for my snubbie, it covers the rear of the trigger guard and front breaks, has to be unsnappe for you to operate and can't be rear snatched even if unsnapped. Great thread

If I was LE I would definitely use a retention holster. LEOs are often required to get into close proximity or engage others who aren't very friendly and may like to take a chance at hurting an officer. Officers willingly engage in encounters that could become combative. I have great respect for this bravery.

However, I will not be entering these situations. I will avoid situations that are unfriendly and where the safety of myself and my loved ones is endangered. I will not get into a wrestling match with a criminal where a cop may be required to.

This is where the distinction occurs, IMO.

I believe that the level of training & equipment is - and should be - higher for LEOs than for the average citizen. This is not because citizens shouldn't be well trained and equipped, they should be, but because LEOs are constantly entering into dangerous situations where the stakes are very high. The rest of us aren't voluntarily entering these situations, or at least shouldn't be. Therefore, Joe Citizen does not require the training & equipment for de-escalating a hostile domestic dispute, detaining a belligerent drunk, etc.

For what its worth, if I could do multiple cartwheels, I'm quite sure that my gun would remain securely retained in the open top leather holster that was the initial subject of this thread. :p

Last edited:

SGB

I prefer open top holsters in both concealed and open carry. However I also want a snatch resistant holster when openly carried and like the Safariland 6377 ALS holster for this application.