• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video Gun Buyback In Detroit...alternative

lapeer20m

In an effort to help save the city of Detroit some money, a few guys decided to attend the gun buyback this morning and purchase guns for more money than the DPD was offering.

After the first gun was purchased, the Storm Troopers came marching in.

Here is the aftermath....

http://www.youtube.com/user/jacuzzibusguy#p/a/u/0/xhYhwruGMEs

video quality is not the best, but it was taken with a spy cam.

Last edited:

TheQ

Another example of Detroit's finest...

I'd file a complaint against the officer. His conduct was far from professional.

I'd like to see what crime they invent for those guys. Keep us posted?

TheQ

MCL 123.1102:

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Coded-Dude

another bad apple giving cops bad names. that cop was acting like a jerk and most certainly overstepping his authority with unwarranted threats.

Bailenforcer

Did the cop-tard say it was Church property? I am wondering if anyone of them are congregation of that church, if it is a church.

In an effort to help save the city of Detroit some money, a few guys decided to attend the gun buyback this morning and purchase guns for more money than the DPD was offering.

After the first gun was purchased, the Storm Troopers came marching in.

Here is the aftermath....

http://www.youtube.com/user/jacuzzibusguy#p/a/u/0/xhYhwruGMEs

video quality is not the best, but it was taken with a spy cam.

SlowDog

I think I would check to see if there was and official checks run on everyone there. You wasn't breaking the law and I am wondering if he broke the law running evryone through the system. I may be wrong.....just sayin

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I disagree with the Police Officer's reaction to the whole event. It seemed to me that he was deeply personally offended by the concept of a private citizen buying a firearm from someone in such a casual encounter and at this Church in particular that he allowed his own emotions to lower his level of professionalism that we must demand from our Police Officers when they conduct investigations in a public area.

Though it would seem that once he knew the purchaser had a CPL he should have ended the non-consensual encounter. If he so chose to alert to the property owner of the encounter and the property owner chose to tell them to leave and they complied, He should not have had any further non-consensual interaction with the citizens as they had not broken any laws.

MKEgal

I've thought about doing the same thing myself, though I don't have the money for it.

I betcha the police didn't know at the time that they were being recorded. Wonder how the PD PR flacks are gonna try to spin this? Especially with that one extremely rude & aggressive officer. Waaaaaaay beyond professional conduct.

And what 'crime' were the police investigating that they were allowed to detain those guys & compel ID?
Is there a state law saying that private citizens can't sell their property wherever, to whomever they choose?
Or that, in the case of guns, either the seller or buyer has to have a permit?

ETA: I see from further postings that MI does require a permit to purchase, & registration of that purchase. Yikes.

Those guys weren't doing anything illegal (unlike the police), and I'll bet you dimes to dollars the owner of the property hadn't asked them to leave.

This should be interesting to watch the fallout - citizens trying to save the gov't money, not committing crimes, police (on camera) commit crimes against those citizens.

Last edited:

TheQ

This should be interesting to watch the fallout - citizens trying to save the gov't money, not committing crimes, police (on camera) commit crimes against those citizens.

This and more at 11!

Sadly, how the media will hype it may be more like this: Guns being sold on the streets of Detroit, police break up arms deal.

TheQ

My Letter to Chief Godbee

My Letter to Chief Godbee
Chief Godbee,

I'm sure you are aware of firearm laws of Michigan. I'm sure you know from these laws that:

1. Anyone 18 years old or older (without a felony) may legally buy a long-arm anywhere in the state of Michigan, without a permit of any kind or any background checks from a private party. Buying a long arm from an FFL dealer will require the standard Federal background check.

2. Anyone with a Permit to Purchase a Pistol or a CPL may purchase a pistol from any private individual. The parties merely need to complete the Permit to Purchase together or, in the case of a CPL, fill out a Pistol Sales form. The buyer must then turn the sales record form into their local PD.

I can cite the relevant laws for you (MCL), but I have a hunch you may already know them. One that I can cite off the top of my head is MCL 123.1102:

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

With that in mind, I was hoping you could shed some light on the conduct of a few of your officers lately:

[video=youtube;5gMHv-tCgCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI[/video]
[video=youtube;xhYhwruGMEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYhwruGMEs[/video]

A little more background. These fellows decided to show up at a place recently where the city was in the process of its gun "buy back" program. They decided to save the city some money and offer the buyers slightly more than what the city would pay them. A win-win, right?

I'm sure some of the more Liberty minded organizations and Firearm rights organizations would be anxious to know what you plan to do to correct this matter, as would I. I don't know the private citizens involved, but I would hope they follow up with your office, the Mayor's office, and DPD IA. I think we can all agree the lead officer's conduct was for from professional and far from what we'd expect of our public servants. I'd like to think you hold the members of your force to a HIGHER standard of professionalism than the acts displayed here.

Most sincerely, a concerned citizen,

<insert my name>