• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TSRA Lobbyist Supports Closing the "Utah License Loophole" for Texans

44Brent

I received the following e-mail from the lobbyist for the Texas State Rifle Association. Apparently she does not want residents of Texas to carry with a license from Utah.

Utah Fixing Utah!

Dear Brent,

Utah state records show over 5,000 Texans are carrying with a Utah concealed handgun license. The majority of this number don't have dual residency, and didn't obtain their license while visiting or living in Utah. Most got their license right here in Texas from an instructor offering the Utah license.

Texas doesn't allow their license to be offered outside the state. Many feel Utah is "meddling" in other states' business.

You might be interested in knowing that folks carrying a handgun with an out-of-state license are not allowed past the metal detectors at the Texas Capitol, only because DPS verifies every licensee. This simply isn't possible with an out-of-state license and includes Texans carrying with a Utah license.

Senate moves to change gun permit rules
By Lee Davidson
The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Jan 28 2011 02:37PM
Updated Jan 29, 2011 12:09AM

Out-of-state gun owners who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit - which is popular because it is recognized by most states - may soon first need to obtain a permit from their home state, if available.

The Senate voted 28-0 on Friday to give preliminary approval to SB34, which would make the change. A final vote is expected next week.

Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, the bill's sponsor, said the Utah permit is popular because it is recognized by 33 other states - the most of any state permit - so owners can carry guns in most places nationally with just that one certificate.

But he said states such as Nevada and New Mexico recently quit recognizing Utah permits. He said they claim that is out of concern that Utah permits do not require any measure of shooting proficiency, but he said the states actually appear upset that their own residents often apply only for a Utah license without also obtaining a local one.

Valentine said the bill would give states control over their own residents, help ensure that Utah permits are still recognized by potentially jealous states, and help Utah residents by ensuring their permits will be recognized more widely.

Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said, "Guns are always an easy target, if you will, for people to pick on. But this is well thought-out. It's an important issue."

Join, Renew, or Upgrade your TSRA membership at www.tsra.com or call 800-462-8772. You won't lose a day by renewing early!

Keep the Faith,

Alice Tripp
Texas State Rifle Association

MR Redenck

That's Alice Tripp for ya!
The TSRA Lobbyist who doesnt approve of OPEN CARRY either!
The TSRA doesnt protect your rights as they claim. They have never done anything to increase or restore rights to Texans. They have been a "rifle" organization since 1919 and they still have not fixed the " ALARM" in the Texas Rifle Law's!

What kind of Firearms organization would support this insult to Texans gun rights?
Shouldnt firearms organization work to increase your right instead of restricting them further?

rushcreek2

" Texas doesn't allow their license to be offered outside of State"........?????

Actually Texas law DOES provide for issuance of a Texas CHL to a resident of another state, or a resident of another state who relocates to Texas with the intent of establishing residency. See Subchapter H, section 411.73 (a).

It would appear that sentiments exist within the TSRA that are a bit at odds with the intent of Texas law regarding concealed hangun licenses, AND RECIPROCITY AGREEMENTS. It is the intent of Texas law that CCW's held by persons undergoing a background criminal check be recognized. TSRA appears to be leaning towards a Kalifornia approach to CCW.

These folks bear watching. They seem to be a bit challenged at comprehending the gist of the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

" Texas doesn't allow their license to be offered outside of State"........?????

Actually Texas law DOES provide for issuance of a Texas CHL to a resident of another state, or a resident of another state who relocates to Texas with the intent of establishing residency. See Subchapter H, section 411.73 (a).

It would appear that sentiments exist within the TSRA that are a bit at odds with the intent of Texas law regarding concealed hangun licenses, AND RECIPROCITY AGREEMENTS. It is the intent of Texas law that CCW's held by persons undergoing a background criminal check be recognized. TSRA appears to be leaning towards a Kalifornia approach to CCW.

These folks bear watching. They seem to be a bit challenged at comprehending the gist of the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

How so does Texas offer the CHL outside of the state.

MR Redenck

While on the subject of Alice Tripp supporting legislation that will further restrict your right, allow me to imform yall of what I have learned over the past year.

First, Alice Tripp doesnt approve of open carry. She doesnt approve of Constitutional Carry either. Her comments to me, " I dont approve of open carry and I will not lobby for it". She also stated, " Texans are luck to have the CHL license"..

Now, while were on the topic of lobbying, lets discuss Pro-gun Bill's.
After visiting with several Texas Representative, I found one common comment. Texas Representatives want the support of the TSRA before the file a bill. So how do we get good Legislation that we all want and deserve as Texans?
I took this support issue to heart. I visited with some state Representative who are most willing to discuss procedure of Texas Legislature. The first and most important issue to our Pro-Gun Representatives is getting the NRA support. It seems that the only way to get the NRA involved is through the TSRA.
This has become an issue with entering our Open Carry bill. The TSRA wont get behind it because lobbyist Alice Tripp doesnt approve of Texans having Constitutional Open Carry.
Dont jump the ship just yet my fellow Texans. Open Carry is about to be entered as a bill. We have Texas Representatives that are contacting the NRA directly in attempt to get NRA lobbyist in Austin. I have stayed in contact with these great people and also showed them support of Constituent's lobbying for our Open Carry goal.
As I stated to them, if we dont get the NRA lobbying, our Legislative director will be the citizens of Texas.
It is a must for Texans to lobby for the Legislation we want to get passed.

Fisherman

.....As I stated to them, if we dont get the NRA lobbying, our Legislative director will be the citizens of Texas.
It is a must for Texans to lobby for the Legislation we want to get passed.

True story! I just want to add that while we do need to do that, it's very important for all of us to be on the same page. Not like the last time around where they got a thousand callers wanting a thousand definitions of what we're talking about here. If they get thousands of calls, faxes, e-mails, carrier pigeons, all with the same message, we'll be successful! Let's be on the same page this time.

pooley

True story! I just want to add that while we do need to do that, it's very important for all of us to be on the same page. Not like the last time around where they got a thousand callers wanting a thousand definitions of what we're talking about here. If they get thousands of calls, faxes, e-mails, carrier pigeons, all with the same message, we'll be successful! Let's be on the same page this time.

Yep. A bill is already in the works. All we have to do is ask them to support it. Nevermind wanting specific conditions, just support it as is and we can get the wrinkles ironed out next session. Any OC bill is better than no OC bill, whatever Mr. Lavender submits let's just focus on getting it the support it needs this session.

ScottDLS

Non-Res Texas License

You apply...meet the same requirements as a resident (except living in Texas) and you get the license. There are a lot of non-res Texas CHL's out there. The difference is, unlike Utah, you have to take the class in Texas. Just like a Nevada non-res and a couple other states if I recall.

jecsd1

Just an open question. What do you all think. Would media coverage of this "bill" be wise?

billv

You can get a non-resident Texas CHL as long as you take the classes in Texas.

I will be moving from Texas soon and asked about this and they said all I need to do to convert my resident CHL to non-resident CHL is to send in a change of address with a color copy of my new state's driver's license, front and back. And a check of course.

billv

That's Alice Tripp for ya!
The TSRA Lobbyist who doesnt approve of OPEN CARRY either!
The TSRA doesnt protect your rights as they claim. They have never done anything to increase or restore rights to Texans. They have been a "rifle" organization since 1919 and they still have not fixed the " ALARM" in the Texas Rifle Law's!

What kind of Firearms organization would support this insult to Texans gun rights?
Shouldnt firearms organization work to increase your right instead of restricting them further?

Concealing that rifle when wearing a dress must be a real pain. Or does she fake a limp with it down her pant suit leg?

MR Redenck

Concealing that rifle when wearing a dress must be a real pain. Or does she fake a limp with it down her pant suit leg?

Dont open that can of worms.
The rifle people cant even get that law fixed!
Carry a rifle around in the State Of Texas and you will find yourself thrown in jail for " Attempt to Alarm"! :cuss:

KBCraig

I replied to Alice's email, telling her I didn't understand TSRA's stake in this, and subtly pointing out the hypocrisy of accusing Utah of "meddling" in other states while TSRA is doing exactly that.

Her response left me scratching my head. I won't post it here, but I simply could not make sense of what she was trying to say.

rushcreek2

Efforts towards "Balkanization" of CCW licensing/reciprocity - are not a by-product of 2A support. This effort aimed at LIMITING the progress made in recent years in restoring recognition and respect for the 2A right evidences the presence of "ELITIST", if not residual "ANTI" elements within the TSRA.

It appears to be time to make an end-run around this TSRA lobbying monopoly over the RTKBA in Texas . TSRA clearly harbors some sentiments antagonistic towards the restoration of the RTKBA in Texas. That fact is now indisputable.

I originally thought that TSRA's negative reaction to the open carry movement was guided by sincere concerns that "work in progress" (CC on Campus/employer parking lots) would be handicapped by the introduction of OC. Increasingly I suspect that TSRA's goal is more elitist in nature, and focused on maintaining control over the length of "chain" that should restrain this recently rediscovered and affirmed civil right. This same agenda was pushed through the Colorado General Assembly in 2007 by one of the most "anti" legislators in that State.

Apparently the game-changing impact of the Heller/McDonald decisions haven't yet registered over at the TSRA "command post".

I recall that there wasn't much of a turn-out 2 years ago at the Capital OC Rally the first day of that session.
I recall that it was reported something like 4-5 OC supporters were there on the first day of the session.

Perhaps another effort is in order to coincide with the filing of Representative Lavender's bill. Maybe even a POLITE, RESPECTFUL " foot -convoy" to accompany the Representative to the filing docket ? Perhaps.... openly wearing EMPTY HOLSTERS - Just a thought.

Now we are getting a clearer picture of perhaps WHY it is such a "complicated" process getting pro-2A legislation introduced in the Texas legislature.

Last edited:

rodbender

I recall that there wasn't much of a turn-out 2 years ago at the Capital OC Rally the first day of that session.
I recall that it was reported something like 4-5 OC supporters were there on the first day of the session.
Now we are getting a clearer picture of perhaps WHY it is such a "complicated" process getting pro-2A legislation introduced in the Texas legislature.

That rally was my idea. There weren't many coming from this website anyway. I had about 15 others from other websites coming and when Mike commandeered it to another member, I left it. I had about 15 others coming from other websites and when I told them what had transpired, they left also. I fear any attempt to organize anything of this nature on this site will be dealt with in the same manner.

If you want to have a chance at getting something done, go to the link below and join up. These people are serious about it and they are Texas guys. Membership numbers matters to the legislators and a big number will speak volumes. OCDO is based in Virginia and will not be received well in the Texas legislature. We can take over from TSRA, but it takes numbers, big numbers and time. Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas and South Carolina all had bills introduced the last session, but not Texas. Why? TSRA and Alice Tripp along with Mike Guzman from Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

http://www.lonestarcdl.org/

rushcreek2

My thoughts are that "some form" of turn-out in support of Mr. Lavender' efforts seems in order when the bill is ready. The message needs to be communicated to the Texas legislators that the RIGHT so frequently cited - is not presently fully recognized under Texas law. The State issued license to carry ONLY a concealed hangun fails to equate to recognition of the RIGHT to bear arms.

Last edited:

Walt_Kowalski

Not from TX.. but it sounds like you all need to get a new lobbiest, or set up an organization like the Virginia Citizens Defense League, that will fight for your rights instead of trample them like the one your have.