• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal carry in brunswick hotel

boyscout399

can some one tell me if i can legally carry conceal in the Brunswick in OOB?

Your CCW license allows you to CC throughout the state. The only place they can ban your Concealed Carry is if they have an on site liquor license AND they post all the entrances no firearms. I highly doubt they do.

Maine CWP Training

§3838. Refusal or denial of accommodations; ejection

An innkeeper or campground owner may refuse or deny any accommodations, facilities or privileges of a hotel, lodging house or campground to or may eject from the hotel, lodging house or campground premises: [1997, c. 59, §1 (AMD).]

SNIP

3. Property dangerous to others. Any person the innkeeper or campground owner reasonably believes is bringing in property that may be dangerous to other persons, such as firearms or explosives;

READ MORE

Last edited:

carry for myself

unless posted "no firearms" go for it. the beauty of CONCEALING is it is hidden from view. i've done it at the brunswick. just carry and dont let anyone know your carrying as concealing goes. you should be fine ;-)

however!. i would really really really think twice, maybe even a third time before DRINKING at the brunswick while concealing. we have a long thread here about drinking and carrying and the legality of what "under the influance is" and from what i've heard from OOB PD>.........if they smell it on you. they will charge you and pull your permit. so just be careful in that respect. stay safe.

Last edited:

boyscout399

§3838. Refusal or denial of accommodations; ejection

An innkeeper or campground owner may refuse or deny any accommodations, facilities or privileges of a hotel, lodging house or campground to or may eject from the hotel, lodging house or campground premises: [1997, c. 59, §1 (AMD).]

SNIP

3. Property dangerous to others. Any person the innkeeper or campground owner reasonably believes is bringing in property that may be dangerous to other persons, such as firearms or explosives;

READ MORE

The innkeeper MAY deny you entrance, but if it's concealed, they will never know. You have not broken the law until they tell you you have to leave.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've been dropping in to the Maine forum because of the problems one of yours is facing and my curiosity to see how that plays out. Just trying to keep up with what's happening.

But I'm noticing something - that for participation on a forum dedicated to open carry there seems to be an awful lot of concentration on carrying discreetely. Sure, the subject comes up from time to time on even the most rabidly OC fora, but here it seems to be the default mode rather than the exception.

Why am I bothering you folks about this? Especially as an outsider? Well, because I have a very strong sense of curiosity and a desire to find out why you are not at some concealed carry forum since you seem not to have any cohesive sense of supporting open carry.

You have one poster who seems to know the laws and willingly cites them for you. But at times it seems there is an agenda of discouraging open carry that goes along with his citing the statute and not giving information about the case law - you know, all those decisions handed down by the courts that create what the legal types call "precedence" and what pretty much tells the judges how the law is to be interpreted in their next case.

I want to be clear in stating that I'm not here to try to tell you how to run your little section of the universe. Just to say that as an outsider I'm puzzled and to ask if anyone would be so kind as to explain how things are done in this little corner of existence so I do not accidentally commit a social faux pax. Thanks in advance.

stay safe.

ep0k

I've been dropping in to the Maine forum because of the problems one of yours is facing and my curiosity to see how that plays out. Just trying to keep up with what's happening.

But I'm noticing something - that for participation on a forum dedicated to open carry there seems to be an awful lot of concentration on carrying discreetely. Sure, the subject comes up from time to time on even the most rabidly OC fora, but here it seems to be the default mode rather than the exception.

Why am I bothering you folks about this? Especially as an outsider? Well, because I have a very strong sense of curiosity and a desire to find out why you are not at some concealed carry forum since you seem not to have any cohesive sense of supporting open carry.

You have one poster who seems to know the laws and willingly cites them for you. But at times it seems there is an agenda of discouraging open carry that goes along with his citing the statute and not giving information about the case law - you know, all those decisions handed down by the courts that create what the legal types call "precedence" and what pretty much tells the judges how the law is to be interpreted in their next case.

I want to be clear in stating that I'm not here to try to tell you how to run your little section of the universe. Just to say that as an outsider I'm puzzled and to ask if anyone would be so kind as to explain how things are done in this little corner of existence so I do not accidentally commit a social faux pax. Thanks in advance.

stay safe.

MaineCWPTraining, as his username suggests, runs a CWP Training program and is a prominent NRA representative. To my knowledge he does not OC. However, he has a long track record of protecting RTKBA in Maine; his contributes regularly to these forums and his legal information is very valuable to us.

Myself and many others OC on a regular basis. Outside of Portland, it's become something of a non-issue, which is the biggest victory I can think of; the public has accepted it and is no longer "shocked" by the sight of a properly holstered handgun (at least not regularly). Most of my interactions are positive or neutral. We also don't have a long uphill battle to win, legally, as state pre-emption already safeguards OC with no permit required. For the time being our focus has to be on protecting the rights we have, and dealing with the restrictions that still exist.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for defending one of yours, and for clarifying that you OC'd yesterday.

But I do not see a meaningful response to "since you seem not to have any cohesive sense of supporting open carry" - especially when one of your own needs help and support. If there was help/support provided I must have missed the information about it.

But, as I said, I'm just an outsider poking his nose in to see what's what with no real reason or agenda to stir up any pots. Just loaded with a terrible sense of curiosity and a great dislike of cats in general (in case anyone wanted to go there).

stay safe.

carry for myself

we talk about all forms of CARRY on the maine forum. not just OC. all of us OC regularly. but a lot of times we chose to CC for our own personal reasons. i would "estimate" that 80% of the OCers from maine also hold a valid CC permit. therefore alot of us CC as much as we OC.

now you have a valid point of how this site is for talk and debate on the issue of OPEN carry, but not alot gets said about Concealed carry. so whats the issue if we talk about the times when we conceal? some places here in maine are not OC friendly. portland being one of them and untill recently biddeford being a big one where officers had quoted "arrest or shooting" as a result from OC.

those of us who OC cc as well but the laws regarding CC are not nearly as clear cut nor defined as OC is. therefore havin someone as well versed in the laws of CC as Maine CPW Training is is a gift to us and those of us who do CC alot respect his input and advice when he gives it.

i should think that here at OCDO we should be all firearms advocates and give advice on all ways to carry. not just OC alone.

JMO :)

ep0k

ep0k ~ OC yesterday on Main St. in Norway.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for defending one of yours, and for clarifying that you OC'd yesterday.

But I do not see a meaningful response to "since you seem not to have any cohesive sense of supporting open carry" - especially when one of your own needs help and support. If there was help/support provided I must have missed the information about it.

But, as I said, I'm just an outsider poking his nose in to see what's what with no real reason or agenda to stir up any pots. Just loaded with a terrible sense of curiosity and a great dislike of cats in general (in case anyone wanted to go there).

stay safe.

A lot of things go on behind the scenes that don't get discussed here on the forums. There's also selection bias. I OC'd today at a half dozen stores in three different towns (including Portland) and no one engaged me or made a single comment. If I'd gotten kicked out of a store, I would probably be raising hell about it, but I have basically nothing to report, so if I wasn't using it as an example right here it wouldn't bear mentioning at all. In many regards (basically outside Portland) that's how OC is in Maine: a post-controversy issue. Especially the rural areas.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that a lot of things get accomplished in office buildings by men and women wearing suits. Lots of RTKBA stuff in the works recently and not all of it finds its way to the ODCO forums.

boyscout399

I OC on a very regular basis, and I also have very little to report, there are situations where Concealed Carry is a better option, and there are cases where OC provides the clear advantage. As to case law, there is precious little case law in Maine pertaining to the open carry of firearms because the prosecutors don't prosecute people for OCing. My case in Portland 4 years ago was dismissed by the prosecutor and so was this most recent case. The prosecutor knows the law is not being broken, so they don't prosecute. The focus for us has been educating various police departments and communities of the legality of this activity.

KBCraig

Maine, like NH, requires a license to carry a loaded handgun in a car, which is one reason so many people get licenses. (It's not as cheap and easy as a NH license, though, which is a topic for a different thread.)

That's one reason it's a topic for discussion in this forum.