• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rental application asking for Concealed Permit info

av8tr1

Just moved to the area and was submiting a application for a rental place. One of the questions was do I have a concealed weapons permit. Thought that was a strange question and wondered about the legality. Never seen that before and wonder why they would ask that (And how to handle it). It was on a application form from a company that does background checks for private rental properties. What does the peanut gallery say about this?

Fallschirjmäger

Did you place your hand on a bible and swear?
If not, then as far as I know you have as much legal obligation to tell them the truth as a cop does when he's talking to the citizenry.
If it's none of their business, give whatever answer you think is appropriate.

*Let me hasten to add that I have no idea if a rental agreement is any sort of legal document in your state in regards to the truthfulness of any statement.*

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Sounds like a "Catch 22" situation to me. If you answer truthfully and the answer is "yes", they may refuse to rent to you. If you do not answer at all, they may refuse to rent to you. If you lie and say "no" and they find out you lied, you would probably be faced with eviction.

Question is, "How bad do you want to rent an apartment from these people?"

I put this in the same category as forms from the doctor's office asking if I have firearms in my home. I won't answer yea or nay.

MadHatter66

The answer is: n/a

The question is not applicable to you because you prefer not to answer.

+1

N/A or just leave it blank.

My old doctors office had a question on their questionnaire that was "Do you own any handguns?" I just left it blank... After asking them, it gives them info on your "risk taking behavior." I was also asked the same question during a physical. I told him that is none of your business if I do or do not own any firearms. Never went back after that.

hermannr

Run a line through the question and put N/A.

Remember, on a rental contract, you do not have to agree to amything on it. If you don't like something, line it out (single line, best done with a ruler) initial and date, then have the other party initial and date it. Do same to his copy, BEFORE anything is signed.

REMEMBER!!!!n It is a rental AGREEMENT...you don't agree, line it out. If the other party won't initial the lineout, go somewhere else. There are hundreds (thousands?) of apartments empty and for rent these days, it is truely a renters market.

I just thought of something though...you have to be a reasonably responsible to have a permit. Yes, it probably (but not necessarily) means you own a firearm, and that may or may not be good, but the question was not do you own firearms, the question was: "do you have a CPL"?????

Last edited:

Mainsail

Run a line through the question and put N/A.

Remember, on a rental contract, you do not have to agree to amything on it. If you don't like something, line it out (single line, best done with a ruler) initial and date, then have the other party initial and date it. Do same to his copy, BEFORE anything is signed.

REMEMBER!!!!n It is a rental AGREEMENT...you don't agree, line it out. If the other party won't initial the lineout, go somewhere else. There are hundreds (thousands?) of apartments empty and for rent these days, it is truely a renters market.

I just thought of something though...you have to be a reasonably responsible to have a permit. Yes, it probably (but not necessarily) means you own a firearm, and that may or may not be good, but the question was not do you own firearms, the question was: "do you have a CPL"?????

Wouldn't that just draw attention to the fact that you're not answering the question? Why go through all that when you can simply write n/a on the line? Then the manager is happy and you can get the apartment. If you start unilaterally lining out items in the contract the likely result will be that they'll politely ask you to leave.

Vitaeus

rental agency being cheap? If you truly have a CPL you had to pass background check including felonies etc. Of course they still need to do a credit check .

Vitaeus

No cite, poor word choice, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they skipped doing the the credit check, they may ignore it but I doubt they just skip it for any but private rentors.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
No cite, poor word choice, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they skipped doing the the credit check, they may ignore it but I doubt they just skip it for any but private rentors.

I figured that was the case.

Its kind of hard to run a credit check without SSN. I opt to pay more deposit rather than have them run my credit, most don't have a problem with that. I even have stayed at a larger apartment complex that did it. Sometimes, it takes some smooching and sometimes they just won't rent without it just depends.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Hey wait a minute. Do you have a concealed weapons permit, or a concealed pistol license?

If the contract asks about a concealed weapons permit, and you don't have one, you can truthfully answer no.

FMCDH

The answer is: n/a

The question is not applicable to you because you prefer not to answer.

I prefer the answer I/Q

Inappropriate Question

Or if you really want to be confrontational NOUFB

I'm sure y'all can figure that one on your own :D

Difdi

it gives them info on your "risk taking behavior."

Depending on how you define risk, any answer to that question could be viewed as high risk behavior. The anti-gunners would argue gun owners are high risk, while most gun owners would counter that not being armed puts you at greater risk.

Hey wait a minute. Do you have a concealed weapons permit, or a concealed pistol license?

If the contract asks about a concealed weapons permit, and you don't have one, you can truthfully answer no.

Depends. Is a pistol a weapon?

FMCDH

Uh, what? That's also what the manager is going to ask. If he wants the apartment he will need to at least appear to be answering the question.

And I would have no problem answering him, same as a doctor asking if I own firearms.

Admittedly, N/A would likely be interpreted as a No to most, and probably be considered less confrontational. But....I don't mind telling people..."Thats none of your business, next question."

Stretch

Just thinking out loud here, but if they denied you the right to rent based upon the CPL question, is that a violation of your 2A rights? Yes, yes, I know it is a private company, etc. but they are also governed by laws that prevent them from discriminating based on other issues.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
First I have heard any apartments asking if you have a CPL. There is a couple of ways to see this, first with having a CPL they know you have lived your life as a law abiding citizen which is a good thing. On the other hand, they will be unable to verify if you have one or not and you are not required to show them by law.
I would asked them about their question and see where the discussion goes from there and then make your choice to apply or not.

When I lived in Tacoma for a couple of years we had a change of owners and managers and posted it as being a gun free zone, I just told them that it was not that way when I moved it and I will continue to carry. When my lease expired I moved to a better place.