• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry incident with police today, Tukwila

deanf

This is not me or anyone I know.

About 1455 today Tukwila PD is dispatched to an Open Carry incident at the Ross store, 17622 Southcenter Pkwy. RP reports man in the store wearing a holstered gun. Officer asks if this is an “open carry.” Dispatcher answers yes. Also reported is that the RP is retired law enforcement, and is “uncomfortable”, even with the knowledge that Washington is an open carry state.

RP thinks man with gun may be high or drunk because his face is flushed. Man with gun is at some point in the dressing room.

Officer enroute asks if Ross wants the MWG trespassed. It’s then that it’s made clear that the RP is not a Ross employee. Dispatcher calls the store, employees are not aware of the MWG.

Officers contact the MWG and run his name. He has a suspended driver’s license. He was born in 1980.

The officers clear the call with a code of T, which means Settled by Contact.

That’s all the information I can share.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
What! He wasn't shot! or arrested! or any other terrible thing so many feel will occur lol.

From your post it seems likely there would not have been any contact if it was not for the report of possibly being high or drunk.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
David,
Let's not forget that the RP was a "retired" Law Enforcement officer, who clearly knew that it is legal in the state of WA to open carry.

He purposefully upped the perceived danger of the open carrier by stating that the OC's face was flushed and because of that he "felt" he "might" be drunk or high. Thereby escalating an encounter from a simple MWAG, to a "dangerous" MWAG, and guaranteeing a contact with the Officer responding.

Absolutely inexcusable.

Schlepnier

Officers contact the MWG and run his name. He has a suspended driver’s license. He was born in 1980.

What was the RAS of a CRIME?
Having a flushed face without any further information is nothing, as such this was not a valid terry stop and the OCers rights were violated.
:banghead:

SpyderTattoo

His rights were not violated. The police asked and he must have volunteered his information to them so they could run his name. They must have asked him for ID, at which point he should have said, " Am I being detatined? " and ended the encounter. Just like any of us would have done. Maybe the guy is a bit newer to OC'ing and needs a little more education about how to handle a police stop.

1245A Defender

well,,,

His rights were not violated. The police asked and he must have volunteered his information to them so they could run his name. They must have asked him for ID, at which point he should have said, " Am I being detatined? " and ended the encounter. Just like any of us would have done. Maybe the guy is a bit newer to OC'ing and needs a little more education about how to handle a police stop.

I have been having a new thought,,,
about the whole idea of,,,, am i being detained?,,, am i free to go?,,, what is your RAS?...

I have been concidering that, at first contact...
asking to be MIRANDIZED!!!

they would probably get caught off guard,, sputter that, that is not necessary since i am not arrested, or anything..
when i hear that, i would announce that i was leaving, and gently, carefully walk away.

maybe then, they would forcefully detain me,,, maybe not...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have been having a new thought,,,
about the whole idea of,,,, am i being detained?,,, am i free to go?,,, what is your RAS?...

I have been concidering that, at first contact...
asking to be MIRANDIZED!!!

they would probably get caught off guard,, sputter that, that is not necessary since i am not arrested, or anything..
when i hear that, i would announce that i was leaving, and gently, carefully walk away.

maybe then, they would forcefully detain me,,, maybe not...

You folks are aware that the cops can talk with you for hours without ever violating your Mranda/Edwards rights, aren't you? Those things only apply with respect to custodial interrogations. Asking you for ID information is not considered an interrogation. Neither is talking about the weather, or last night's big game, or the price of tea in China - all of which cops may engage in to see if your behavior will suggest that they press further towards thinking you are about to commit, are committing, or have committed a crime.

I suggest that you tell the nice officer that you do not wish to speak with him and that you desire that he stop annoying you. If he persists, call 9-1-1 to report someone verbally and (possibly) physically assaulting you.

stay safe.

amzbrady

OC - Am I being arrested or detained?

PD - No

OC - then you are free to go.

Looks like if you are sick (flushed looking), just comming from the tanning booth (flushed looking), or natually pale (flushed looking), then you may have a drug or alcohol problem....

sudden valley gunner

Interesting find and glad no one was hurt wonder if he reads or is on this forum.

You folks are aware that the cops can talk with you for hours without ever violating your Mranda/Edwards rights, aren't you? Those things only apply with respect to custodial interrogations. Asking you for ID information is not considered an interrogation. Neither is talking about the weather, or last night's big game, or the price of tea in China - all of which cops may engage in to see if your behavior will suggest that they press further towards thinking you are about to commit, are committing, or have committed a crime.

I suggest that you tell the nice officer that you do not wish to speak with him and that you desire that he stop annoying you. If he persists, call 9-1-1 to report someone verbally and (possibly) physically assaulting you.

stay safe.

While I agree, I think Defender's point was to put the burden and the type of encounter immediately on Mr. Officer. I have simply and politely walked away from a few encounters said a salutation and left. A few times I was detained and was never given RAS but knew it wouldn't end well for me if I turned my back on those officers and walked away. Especially when they they start the contact with a gun pointed at your head. And then I hear that misused excuse of if I don't ID myself I will be arrested and jailed for "obstructing justice". Sometimes it's just harder to walk away. Oh and when I went to file a complaint I was arrested again, and denied any ability to file a complaint. Yep arrested for trying to file a complaint.

DocWalker

The "ritired" officer that called 911 to report a "Drunk" MWAG should be charged with abusing the 911 system. Sociaty needs to come up with a penalty for crying wolf just because they feel uncomfortable. How about charging the person calling with the bill for the time, gas, and expense related to the response to the bogus calls just because they are uncomfortable with someone expressing their Constitutional rights.

Sorry this just pisses me off.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Their choice to id themselves and still, nothing happened that we know of since this is just scanner, 2nd hand information.

Stretch,
You are either naive, or just don't understand the system and what can happen.
"Just a scanner".........good grief. With all due respect, you clearly don't work in the 911 system.

The retired officer knew exactly what he was doing when he used his choice of words. And it could have turned out much differently.

Stretch

Stretch,
You are either naive, or just don't understand the system and what can happen.
"Just a scanner".........good grief. With all due respect, you clearly don't work in the 911 system.

The retired officer knew exactly what he was doing when he used his choice of words. And it could have turned out much differently.

Gutshot, how about neither. This thread is based on what the OP heard, via scanner. Nobody here can report what happened because none were there. That is my point.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This is not me or anyone I know.
That’s all the information I can share.

Dean did you hear this on the scanner?

OC "officer I do not consent to this encounter"

Something like that.[/COLOR]

Their choice to id themselves and still, nothing happened that we know of since this is just scanner, 2nd hand information.

deanf's profile reveals he works as a firefighter.

So it was probably more secure lines than the public scanner.

dean...if you would be interested in reaching out to me, I would like to know more. This can be done in confidence.