• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun buyback - Hillsborough County Sheriff

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...s-office-holding-gun-buyback-saturday/1272907

I called them and asked about pipe bombs .. if they would give out $$$ for those.

The Lt. said initially no then changed his mind and said sure and then asked me "what ya got?"..a good question..but I don't answer questions, I just ask them...

Sheriff's Operations Center

2008 E. 8th Ave
Tampa, FL 33605
(813) 247-8000

I am not recommending people make pipe bombs or stuff that give the appearance of a pipe bomb. But it is interesting that they would accept them.

Now, if you don't get arrested for bring something that looks like a pipe bomb (the process is supposed to not involve arrests but more of an amnesty program) is unknown.

Other explosive devices would be OK too the Lt. later said (he was on speaker phone and I could not make out his last name). I did not speak about chemical weapons; I think that maybe I'll followup with a northern buyback program on this subject matter.

I did recommend that the buyback location have an EOD expert available though since anything can be turned in and this could include explosive devices. The Lt. agreed and never thought of it before.

I guaranty that if bombs are actually turned in with any buyback program then this would end these things as the police unions would put a nix on them due to the hazards.

spacecoast321

Libertarians vs. Sheriff's Deputies at Gun Buyback - 2nd Amendment Win

I guess Adrian Wyllie, Libertarian for Florida Governor was in the market for a good deal on guns. He and others at one location were briefly prevented from conducting some commerce by deputies; it appears they did not appreciate the competition. Then commerce resumed.

You Tube video

77zach

I guess Adrian Wyllie, Libertarian for Florida Governor was in the market for a good deal on guns. He and others at one location were briefly prevented from conducting some commerce by deputies; it appears they did not appreciate the competition. Then commerce resumed.

You Tube video

Love it! Love frustrating the state's designs on what freedoms we have left.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member

You Tube video

Oh, brilliant.

We-the-People

Oh, brilliant.

Last August I participated in the same type of operation......buying firearms outside a gun buyback......in Portland Oregon.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFF91mZSG4

Standing on the PUBLIC sidewalk outside the private parking lot where the buback was offering $75 gift certificates for "any operable firearm". I had (when I started) $1,000 cash and my concealed license in hand waving it to the people bringing firearms to turn in. I came away with four nice handguns, others picked up rifles, shotguns, and more handguns. I paid $360 for the four firearms I got. One friend picked up a rifle worth MINIMUM $600 for $100 ($25 more cash than the offered gift certificates).

We had decent and mostly balanced coverage from a local (not known to be conservative) newspaper, the police on site to handle the turned in weapons were interviewed by media and stated, on the record, that we were completely lawful and that the firearms we purchased wouldn't be going to criminals (kudos to the Portland PD officer who gave that interview from a department not particularly well known for respecting citizens rights as regards firearms).

The non-profit conducting the buyback wasn't happy but there was nothing they could do about it and the Portland PD acknowledged our right to do what we were doing.

I got a kick out of the deputy in the linked video saying he didn't want you to do it but also saying you weren't violating the law. I could care less what you WANT me to do or not do.....what LAW says what I can't do....oh none....Have a nice day officer.

EVERY gun buyback needs to be met with a group of law abiding citizens who are willing to pay cash for firearms (assuming your state allows private party transfers). AND, if your state doesn't allow private party transfers, an FFL holder or two can probably accomplish the same thing in a legal manner, even if he is only acting as the FFL middleman for another private party who desires to purchase the firearm being offered (all BATFE and state requirements being complied with of course).