• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marginally OT: Fredericksburg's Free Lance-Star under new ownership

TFred

The bankruptcy disposition of the FLS is complete.

Anybody familiar with the social issue (gun rights) leanings of the new Publisher, Gene M. Carr, or his previous affiliations? Could have a large effect on future gun-rights positions that the newspaper takes.

As part of the transition, Sandton Capital Partners, LP is also pleased to announce that industry veteran Gene M. Carr has been hired as the interim CEO and Publisher of The Free Lance-Star Publishing Co. of Fredericksburg, VA. Carr is very familiar with The Free Lance-Star and the communities it serves; he has previously been an advisor and consultant to the company. Gene Carr has over 30 years of media experience; he has served as CEO of several groups including 9 years as CEO of ACN, a group of dailies, weeklies, magazines, and print facilities with over 100 titles operating in five states including Northern Virginia. Most recently, Carr has operated a consulting practice specializing in community media businesses. He has had numerous engagements in his practice, including representing owners of traditional and digital media properties, and serving as interim Southwest Region Vice President of Freedom Communications and Publisher of the McAllen Monitor and Colorado Springs Gazette.​

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While it is always possible to sink lower, in the particular instance I find at least a little comfort in knowing that it would take significant effort to do so.

I did a very small amount of Googling for editorials from papers where he has been Editor, figuring that his philosophy would show even if he were not the author. Tha being said - read this http://gazette.com/editorial-alas-hicks-charm-cant-undo-colorados-bad-new-gun-laws/article/1521676 . Pretty straight punches even though the emphasis is on taxes and jobs.

I'm not ready to announce that any dawn, new or otherwise, has broken. But obviously there is something on the horizon.

stay safe.

Repeater

Agreed

Recent (within the last 9 hours) postings seem very straight forward, w/o any negative bias.
http://www.fredericksburg.com/

Grape, thanks for your analysis. What do you think of this article?

Man gets 20 years for shooting spree
A young Fredericksburg man was ordered Thursday to serve 20 years in prison for a drug-induced shooting spree last year in which several shots were fired near city police officers.

Police recovered four guns from Kennedy’s room after he surrendered peacefully to police, including an AK–47 type rifle and a .410 shotgun. His mother said she was unaware the weapons were in the home.

I like how the reporter, Keith Epps, did not resort to slurs like "Assault Weapon" or false terms like "Assault Rifle" or describe the criminal as a "shooter" as though that's a bad thing.

Seems fair. What say you?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape, thanks for your analysis. What do you think of this article?

Man gets 20 years for shooting spree

I like how the reporter, Keith Epps, did not resort to slurs like "Assault Weapon" or false terms like "Assault Rifle" or describe the criminal as a "shooter" as though that's a bad thing.

Seems fair. What say you?
Definitely more neutral (w/o bias) than most media reports.

TFred

Most of the reporters have been around for a while. I would not expect any possible changes to be immediately obvious. Things to watch for are new folks coming in, or perhaps current folks leaving. There are a couple that I would like to see gone right away, their only good quality being that they get soundly refuted in the comments every time they publish. More education for the "fence sitters."

TFred