• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911/1911 Clone Question

SFCRetired

I carry a Springfield Armory "Champion" .45 which is, I think, a clone of a Colt Commander. Someone tell me if I'm right, please.

The question is this; I carry cocked and locked and have had I don't know how many people ask me if I know that the hammer is back ("trigger" in one case!). Most of these folks seem to be quite interested in my answers and also in the fact that OC is legal in Alabama. However, there are a few that want to get rude, crude, and socially unacceptable when I tell them that the way I carry is the safest way to carry a 1911.

One individual told me that I was full of excrement, that he had served three years in the Army, and he knew about weapons. My reply, "Thank you for your service. I served a total of twenty-one years and retired as a senior NCO." Clue jaw drop and rapid exit on his part.

Does anyone else, anywhere in the country that it is legal to carry open and loaded, get this same sort of attention?

I do notice that I seem to get more attention carrying the .45 cocked and locked than I do carrying the 9mm with the hammer down.

Last edited:

Butch00

When I carry a 1911 I get a lot of hammer comments.
Sounds like a commander to me.
I have an Auto-Ordnance Pit Bull 4" top, Full size grip frame.

carsontech

Activist Member
I carry cocked and locked, and got a question from my father about "carrying with the hammer back". My father is a man who owns dozens upon dozens of firearms and served in the military for 22 years. He is very skilled with firearms knows a great deal of information on the ones he owns.

Anyway, once I explained that I would have to flip the manual safety off, push in the grip safety in, and then pull the trigger for the 1911 to fire, he completely understood why I carried cocked and locked.

I then found out he had never owned a 1911. He has owned just about every other firearm I can think of though, lol.

As for when I get out and open carry with my 1911s, I never get comments about it. On the other hand, my wife has had a few comments about her Glock not having a manual safety. According to some of the people we have encountered, my wife shouldn't carry a Glock with a round in the chamber... :banghead: After she explains how a Glock functions, they seem to come around.

tim12232

I call it a commander 1911, doesnt have to be colt to be a 1911. just like a car doesnt have to be a ford or whatever to be a car.
I carry cocked, locked, ready to rock! well not really ready to rock, but I just like that saying.

Its the safest way to carry, and quickest way to defend yourself with the 1911. and I have not heard anyone have the gun just go off, while being cocked and locked.

Tim

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I too generally get more comments when I carry one of my 1911s. First because it is recognizable to most people. (especially anyone who has played Call of Duty) I also get comments about the hammer. They usually say "is that loaded" and I usually say "of course." I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good job dealing with the army guy (lol) and thank YOU for your service!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
i have had that comment before while carrying a 1911.

"hey did you know your hammer is cocked?"

lol, if i ever hear that again i'm going to act surprised like I didn't know a gun was on my waist

MR Redenck

Im in Texas, so nobody can see my 1911's... Booooooooo
I carry 1911's both ways, depends on how I feel. Hammer back, sometimes hammer down. When im running or climbing such as in hunting I lower the hammer, Just in case I bust my but and roll down a hill.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I carry 1911's both ways, depends on how I feel. Hammer back, sometimes hammer down. When im running or climbing such as in hunting I lower the hammer, Just in case I bust my but and roll down a hill.

You lower the hammer on a loaded chamber?

MR Redenck

You lower the hammer on a loaded chamber?

Yes. It can not go off since the 1911 has a srping loaded firing pin. I even tested that carry method before by striking the lowered hammer.
The next time you take down you gun, just make the firing pin flush with the slide and look at the pin where it comes out of the breech. With the hammer side flush, the pin does not breech.
Just make sure you dont shoot yourself in the leg when lowering the hammer.:shocker:

Last edited:

MR Redenck

That's the part I was referring to. Too much of a possibility of a mistake.
YOu got to be careful. This isnt something I suggest to those who are unsure either. If anything you could carry with no round in battery if the conditions call for it.

BMarshall16105

I carry an auto ordinance 1911A1, cocked and locked. I live in Pennsylvania, and open carry everyday. I've only had ONE comment from an older gentelman stating I was going to "blow my foot off carrying like that". I tried explaining all the safety features, he refused to listen.. oh well. Excrement happens.

Continue to carry the way you're comfortable... let the haters hate. Haha.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

Well, no one was "supposed" to see it. My button up shirt hung down while laying in a dentists chair.

carry for myself

just remember if you decide to lower the hammer on your 1911.........not only shooting yourself in the leg can be the outcome. if you do ...........do it TWO HANDED. ..........NEVER try to beretta style decock one handed. if that hammer drops. your going to rip you thumb clean off :p lol

Yance

When I was looking into a 1911 I was concerned about walking around with my hammer cocked until I read on a forum someone talking about how with modern firearms like glocks and xds the hammers are cocked and locked you just cant see it so really there is no difference...thats what I use to explain to people that its safe. I used to carry my XDm and after thinking about it I realized it was no different and my worries about it went away. I wouldnt carry without one loaded and ready to rock.

carry for myself

When I was looking into a 1911 I was concerned about walking around with my hammer cocked until I read on a forum someone talking about how with modern firearms like glocks and xds the hammers are cocked and locked you just cant see it so really there is no difference...thats what I use to explain to people that its safe. I used to carry my XDm and after thinking about it I realized it was no different and my worries about it went away. I wouldnt carry without one loaded and ready to rock.

actually glocks and Xd's are not cocked and locked. they are semi cocked.

the firing pin is 100% controled by the trigger itself. and it has a firing pin block infront of the pin that is also controled by trigger movement.

in a striker fired weapon , when you cock the slide it locks the firing pin behind the trigger mechanism, about 1/8 of the way back. when you squeeze the trigger the trigger bar moves backwards, in doing so it starts pulling back the firing pin all the way while at the same time actuating a small press under the slide and lifting the firing pin block out of the way, once the trigger bar has passed this position it drops a very slight distance allowing the firing pin to release from the trigger bar and be sent flying forward to strike the primer. but when the trigger is in the full forward position, the firing pin block is ingaged and fully blocking the pin. also the firing pin is held under almost no tention. hence why most modern striker fired weapons are IMPOSSIBLE to shoot without depressing the trigger . they cannot fire because the firing pin has no way to move backwards, then forwards and past the block to the primer.

what makes a 1911 safe in the cocked/locked position is only the manual safetys on the gun, such as the thumb safety and the backstrap safety.

when you fire a 1911 , first you remove the manual safety which disengages the safety on the hammer, then the backstrap safety is engaged by the palm allowing the connecting safety attatched to the trigger to move and allow the trigger to actually be pressed. making it also very safe to use. no hand on gun. no fire. no flip of safety, hammer cannot drop :)

other firearms such as beretta, stoeger and S&W use a rotating barrel safety on the side of the gun which actually rotates up and forward when actuated , blocking the hammer from actually contacting the firing pin by about 2mm of space :)