• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK, Who Was It?

amlevin

http://heraldnet.com/article/201301...ped-gun-fires-at-Silverdale-store-no-injuries

SILVERDALE -- A gun went off inside a Kitsap County store after a man dropped it, but no one was injured.

The Kitsap Sun reported that a 58-year-old Poulsbo man told deputies he had removed the .38-caliber, two-shot Derringer pistol from a holster on his belt before he entered the Cost Plus World Market in Silverdale on Saturday afternoon.

He put the gun in a coat pocket, but when he was in the middle of the store, he bent over -- and the pistol fell out and discharged.

Anyone here that might be that person?

skeith5

That and "Stupidity". Or is the latter a Forum Rule??

Stupidity is not against forum rules, it's at least not enforced.

I didn't realize that people wore derringers in holsters. Maybe it's some new hipster fad.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Batousaii

~ Yeap, good ol derringers ~

Derringers, especially the traditional single action ones take an extra amount of care in handling, attention to detail so to speak. I have carried one for a couple years now and never had problems, however, i understand it's mechanics and afford it some care to make sure it is safe.
- Most people load em and forget to put them in half cock postition... this is an absolutely necessary step or else you will be walking around with the hammer and firing pin resting on the primer, and it will go off when dropped. Derringers are little clocks, require a handling akin to it's big brother the old western revolver. Surely, it is not a modern gun for modern owners.

~ Mine is a .38 special (see it is on half cock too).

Attachments

• TA-38 L.jpg
    TA-38 L.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

hermannr

Derringers, especially the traditional single action ones take an extra amount of care in handling, attention to detail so to speak. I have carried one for a couple years now and never had problems, however, i understand it's mechanics and afford it some care to make sure it is safe.
- Most people load em and forget to put them in half cock postition... this is an absolutely necessary step or else you will be walking around with the hammer and firing pin resting on the primer, and it will go off when dropped. Derringers are little clocks, require a handling akin to it's big brother the old western revolver. Surely, it is not a modern gun for modern owners.

Nice. I like Derringers...I just don't like to carry them. They are a bit tricky to handle safely.

amlevin

Half cock, huh. Yes, I suppose that would be important especially if carrying in a pants pocket. If not, then the carrier could end up with the same "condition" :);)