• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to shoot outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3n

Shooting outdoors in VA

If you knew the person that started the thread, you'd know both that it wasn't a legitimate question and rudeness is the prescribed way to respond....

Good point, maybe I should have researched a little more into this troll's history. All, I'm new and apologize for resurrecting a dead thread and poking everyone in the eye. You were pretty patient with me considering, and deserve more respect...which I'm willing to give.

I shouldn't act this way I know.... It's just that every time I go home, my son and I and several friends drive to the edge of town, drop our tailgates and start shooting whatever the heck we please at whatever we please and nobody cares! I guess I'm spoiled and expect it to be the same everywhere but it's not. I guess I should listen to Dr. Phil: "Life ain't fair...get over it!" The problem with the east coast plain and simple is just too many people, and many of them are good people. A few are jerks that need a strong fence around their property to keep them in and away from everyone else. Eventually it will be the same coast to coast, it's just a matter of time. The BLM is already starting to come down with a heavy hand in the west as you've seen in the news. They tried two years ago to shut down the offroad riding in my hometown to all but "designated" trails with a thousand plus page study that no one could decipher, but it caused such an uproar that they stood down. I'm sure they're regrouping and getting ready for another onslaught to restrict our freedoms. Whatever happened to the line, "This land is my land, this land is your land...." I guess that line got removed as it's all private now, and public lands belong to the agencies that are supposed to manage them for our benefit.

Now as to why I came on here stirring up trouble in the first place... I'm going to be in the Luray area 17-18 Aug with a lady friend and we are looking for a place where we can do maybe an hour's worth of 9mm plinking in between motorcycle riding and kayaking. Does anyone have private property they're willing to loan us? I can afford to pay but I guess since I am so spoiled I figure that the right to shoot should be equal to the right to breathe air. Rural MD has some outdoor ranges on Park Service land that are only $5 for all day and no one there breathing down your neck. The problem is, they're all at least 1-2 hrs from town. Also it's technically not legal to go out into rural MD for a multipurpose weekend. In other words, you can legally only drive straight to the range and back, without stopping to do anything in between. That is a big grey area that's open to misinterpretation and to the MSP to enforce however they like. Are there any ranges like that near Luray? I think we'll be south of there 10 or 20 miles and near the Shenandoah. We don't need any tree stands :)

Re: politics in MD, this place is hopeless. Gov O'Malley sleeps with Obummer. They could even get married now if they want, and soon be able to smoke medicinal pot, if they aren't already. The earth is screwed. All we can do is make the best of our time while we're here and leave a mess for our grandchildren to deal with.

Last edited:

k3n

No shooting

It looks like the short answer (to shooting near Luray VA) is NO. I searched Google Maps, for "virginia shooting ranges" and they pop up in various places around the state. But in the entire Shenandoah valley there is nothing either public or private in at least a 2,500 square mile area. Good job VA. You're right behind MD. Think we'll change our destination to WV instead of VA.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It looks like the short answer (to shooting near Luray VA) is NO. I searched Google Maps, for "virginia shooting ranges" and they pop up in various places around the state. But in the entire Shenandoah valley there is nothing either public or private in at least a 2,500 square mile area. Good job VA. You're right behind MD. Think we'll change our destination to WV instead of VA.

http://www.myvssa.org/content/where-shoot-virginia

Of course, the Shenandoah Valley is a big place and parts of it are federal lands (where momdad&thekids tourism seems to be their primary mission).

Normally we here in Virginia note that I-95 runs in both directions. It sounds like you need to be reminded that I-64 does, too.

This is not "the West" - why did you expect it would be?

stay safe.

Lyndsy Simon

I think there are still places in Virginia where unless you can prove that is exactly why you are there you might just get disappeared.Hear, hear.

I moved here from Arkansas last year - and I can tell you with complete certainty that those places still exists there.

I'll also say that I feel very much at home once I cross over the Blue Ridge heading west. Those people don't even have an accent.

Lyndsy Simon

I live in Charlottesville and I usually take friends to Hite Hollow. It's a public range, well-kept, and no RSO. It's an hour and a half's drive, but it's the same distance from me.

I think there's also a range west of the Harrisonburg area somewhere on the WV side, but I've not been there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Did you just start this thread to bitch. I don't recall asking you to come here.
Do some real research. There's a range in Mount Crawford and I expect several closer to Luray if you look for them.

k3n

Yes I came here to bitch

Did you just start this thread to bitch. I don't recall asking you to come here.
Do some real research. There's a range in Mount Crawford and I expect several closer to Luray if you look for them.
I did my homework peter. Sorry you have a problem with it. I don't. Stay in VA where you belong.

k3n

http://www.myvssa.org/content/where-shoot-virginia
This is not "the West" - why did you expect it would be?
stay safe.
Wishful thinking I guess. The impression I had is that since VA is not as restrictive on gun laws as MD, maybe it would be easier to find a place to shoot there. I knew there are public lands there, but trying to find out if it's legal to shoot on them, the web is silent.

It's the same here in MD. With the new regulations passed last October, if you search the web looking for an authoritative source on new laws, it's incomplete. If you go to the actual MSP website (the enforcement arm of our gun laws), there is some information, but there is a lot that is not clear. Most people are getting their guidance from forums like this one, that are anyone's opinion. I searched Google for VA laws and this website came up. I had no intentions on resurrecting an old thread. I could have started a new one, but the response would have likely been the same.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I did my homework peter. Sorry you have a problem with it. I don't. Stay in VA where you belong.

You started by saying how rude people here were. Being called rude by a Baltimore yankee is like being called a pervert by a convicted child molester.

You continued by going on about what Maryland doesn't allow and how good things were back in the old neighborhood. That went mostly ignored but the last straw was "Good job VA. You're right behind MD."

Your welcome is worn out and I strongly recommend that if you do go to West Virginia as you threatened (I support the idea BTW) That you NOT spew any of that crap or you'll find yourself stuffed in a 12 ga case and air lifted back to Mary Land.

k3n

You started by saying how rude people here were. Being called rude by a Baltimore yankee is like being called a pervert by a convicted child molester.
You continued by going on about what Maryland doesn't allow and how good things were back in the old neighborhood. That went mostly ignored but the last straw was "Good job VA. You're right behind MD."

Your welcome is worn out and I strongly recommend that if you do go to West Virginia as you threatened (I support the idea BTW) That you NOT spew any of that crap or you'll find yourself stuffed in a 12 ga case and air lifted back to Mary Land.
Are you threatening to shoot me if I come to VA Peter? Because if you are, this may qualify for more than administrative action by opencarry.org. Just in case they delete this thread (which I think they should) I am backing this up and saving a hard copy of your threat for LE.

Last edited:

scouser

on a lighter note and harking back to the original OP

.. is it legal to shoot a badger in VA :banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Are you threatening to shoot me if I come to VA Peter?

You really are a whiny little fellow. Quote where I said that. :lol::lol::lol:

If you want to play word troll, better get some lessons.:monkey

va_tazdad

Are you threatening to shoot me if I come to VA Peter?

LOL Congratulations. You have just earned the David MacBeth look alike award.

Nobody threatened you. You were just warned that the fine folks in WV are not as tolerant as people here in the Old Dominion.

Feel free to stay in your beloved Fascist state of Maryland, or go back out West. Your disrespectful comments are not appreciated here.

k3n

LOL Congratulations. You have just earned the David MacBeth look alike award.

Nobody threatened you. You were just warned that the fine folks in WV are not as tolerant as people here in the Old Dominion.

Feel free to stay in your beloved Fascist state of Maryland, or go back out West. Your disrespectful comments are not appreciated here.

It's easy to threaten people online where you can hide behind a keyboard. You and Peter are probably overweight chubbies that rely on a gun because you have nothing else to back up your idle threats.

Not to mention the fact that it's idiots like you that make liberals want to take away our guns.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

It's easy to threaten people online where your identity is protected. You and Peter are probably overweight chubbies that rely on a gun because you have nothing else to back up your idle threats.

Not to mention the fact that it's idiots like you that make liberals want to take away our guns.

LOL Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case on the subject's last clueless spew.

;>)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.