• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I don't that an OC WOULD HAVE FAIRED TO WELL IN THIS SITATION

The Truth

Is English your primary language? Just curious.

I'm also curious as to what in the world you mean by, "OC WOULD HAVE FAIRED TO WELL IN THIS SITATION."

Are you saying that the criminal would not have rented a gun and taken hostages had the employee been carrying a specific way?

Last edited:

wisardd1

Really? Spelling police? Now that is a really mature response. I don't play the Monkey Dance, but feel free! The kid was out to kill people, not rob them. It is not hard to believe an open carrier would have been shot immediately. 3 people and only 1 carrying! A process predator instead of a resource predator. He was out to kill people, not rob them. The guy himself said he believed he would of been immediately shot had he been open carry. Now, if all three were carrying, I don't think this Situation would have unfolded. I apologize for the capitals and mispelling. Sometimes these note pads are difficult to correct mistakes.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A 1999 incident, posted on another forum seven (7) years ago is hardly a "Hot Topic." In fact I would call it old news at best.

Moving this to the General Discussion sub-forum.

Correct spelling and good grammer help to make one's post(s) better understood.

B

Bikenut

Really? Spelling police? Now that is a really mature response. I don't play the Monkey Dance, but feel free! The kid was out to kill people, not rob them. It is not hard to believe an open carrier would have been shot immediately. 3 people and only 1 carrying! A process predator instead of a resource predator. He was out to kill people, not rob them. The guy himself said he believed he would of been immediately shot had he been open carry. Now, if all three were carrying, I don't think this Situation would have unfolded. I apologize for the capitals and mispelling. Sometimes these note pads are difficult to correct mistakes.
It is also not hard to believe that had all the employees been open carrying the guy would have decided to not come back and shoot people especially since....

according to quarterboregunner's account of the event (scroll down)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46699

the guy came in and then left.... then returned. So it is possible that had all the employees been open carrying they guy could have decided to not come back and open carry's deterrent effect could have prevented the entire situation in the first place.

So perhaps what this incident shows is concealed carry is only reactive after the attack has already begun and doesn't do anything to deter a criminal.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Truth

Really? Spelling police? Now that is a really mature response.

Your errors are not just in spelling but syntax, which makes it difficult to be able to tell what exactly you're trying to say.

The kid was out to kill people, not rob them. It is not hard to believe an open carrier would have been shot immediately.

First of all, it's a shooting range. I don't think you truly believe that mode of carry was a part of this kid's thought process. What about the people in the actual range who were live firing when he took some practice shots? There's a bit of a logical disconnect with your claim. Was OC allowed inside the range? If so, why didn't the kid choose a range which did not allow OC? Your bias is showing.

Another person shot him with non-lethal rounds. I guess he used a slingshot?

The guy himself said he believed he would of been immediately shot had he been open carry.

Who?

Now, if all three were carrying, I don't think this Situation would have unfolded. I apologize for the capitals and mispelling. Sometimes these note pads are difficult to correct mistakes.

As far as I can tell, no innocents were injured. What's the issue? It was an ambush by a mentally deficient individual who wanted to die. He had plenty of opportunities to kill people and didn't. His wanting to kill others seems like a bluff to me. He didn't have the nads when it came down to actually doing anything. Seems to me his plan was to kill then kill himself for attention. He didn't have it in him to kill someone else, so how could he kill himself?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It is also not hard to believe that had all the employees been open carrying the guy would have decided to not come back and shoot people especially since....

according to quarterboregunner's account of the event (scroll down)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46699

the guy came in and then left.... then returned. So it is possible that had all the employees been open carrying they guy could have decided to not come back and open carry's deterrent effect could have prevented the entire situation in the first place.

So perhaps what this incident shows is concealed carry is only reactive after the attack has already begun and doesn't do anything to deter a criminal.

IMO correct, the employee's appeared to be unarmed victims. Nobody knows if he saw armed employees whether he still would have made the attempt. What other gun ranges were there in the area, were there employees openly armed?

In Aurora, Co the shooter picked the only theater that was posted in the area. Actually passing by non posted theaters.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
This one time, at band camp ... therefore no one should play the piccolo.

It was an interesting read. Yes, he might have been shot at the beginning if he had been OC. The BG may not have attempted the crime if people had been OC. This, that and the other.

The OC/CC discussion is no different than the carry/don't carry discussion. Show me how to determine with 100% accuracy every time in my life, if any, that my carrying a firearm will make a positive difference and I won't have to mess with it the other days. By the same token, also tell me every time that OC or CC makes a difference in how positive the outcome and I'll know how to carry that day.

We just don't know. We have no way of knowing when, if or how a situation will arise in our lives that carrying a firearm will matter. And if we don't even know if, when or how it will arise, how the heck would we know the most advantageous way to carry that day?

It is best for people to go armed as they will where they will and the average will sort out things. Personally, now I typically dress for the weather and then figure out what gun/carry method matches my outfit. :eek:

Aknazer

Not even sure what you're trying to say, but I don't know of anyone who has said there aren't risks. Yes you "could" be targeted because of OCing, but that has yet to happen and be successful. So you have weigh the risk of being targeted for OCing (which outside of crazy people I haven't even seen an attempt on an OCer specifically because they were OCing), or do you look like a victim and risk being mistaken for one? Currently the odds are in favor of the OCer being left alone. Also the next thing is the force multiplier question. If they see a single person OCing they "might" do the whole "take him out first" bit, but what if he sees multiple people OCing? Again, short of being crazy or doing suicide by another's gun, he's going to know he can't realistically remove all of the threats and thus choose somewhere else.

So to reiterate, sure you might get targeted for OCing, but you also might get targeted because you look like an unarmed victim (by CCing). Currently the odds are in favor of the OCer being left alone by a criminal more than a CCer being left alone by a criminal. I think I'll take my chances with OCing.

FreeInAZ

I call BS - nice 1st post by another CA drive by keyboard typo commando.... CC is the best - looky, looky... Must have been a slow day over on the police one forum???

Fork you & the whole heap of goons that troll this forum.
http://youtu.be/dv8tVxk6Nj4

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Seems to me like, if I'm to be worried about being targeted, the most effective solution would be to start wearing armor. I think one can get some soft armor pretty inexpensively these days.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I used to ride bicycle occasionally with an elderly gentleman that styled himself as the last BB-62 "engineroom chief." I had no reason to doubt him, he was definitely a tough old bird. He delighted in yanking up his shorts, waay up, to show any 'young lady' his bicycle tattoos.
I was allowed to go anywhere I wanted on the ship the last time I was up there, and I forgot (dammit!!) to ask to see the engine room/prop shafts.

I got to climb all the way from the bottom of one of the 16" barbettes (where the powder was stored) to the top, and out onto the deck, though!! :monkey:monkey

Last edited:

papa bear

first off it was in California. I really don't give a rats azz what happens in CA. IMHO, the whole state is a sewer dump

yeah, I know what you mean by the pads. you really have to re-read the post before you send it.

third if this had happened at any of the ranges around here, he would have been well ventilated ( by more then one employee). all of them carry open