• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mass rape of 300 women and children.

Haz.

I hope I have not placed this in the wrong forum.

A timely reminder of what often happens in a society of dissarmed people. Never surrender your right to be armed for self defence. Would this have occured if the villagers were armed? Haz.

"Detailing the horrific events, the report said the militia arrived in villages pretending that they wanted to protect the population, before launching their attacks in small groups. Armed with AK47s, grenades and machetes, the militia trapped the population, cutting off all telephone communications and preventing the villagers from raising the alarm."

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...mass-rape-of-300/story-e6frfku0-1225929091335

UN reveals four-day mass rape of 300

THREE groups of armed militia raped at least 303 civilians in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo between July 30 and August 2, a UN preliminary report into the atrocities says.

"At least 303 civilians were raped, in many cases multiple times," said a statement issued by the UN Joint Human Rights Office on their initial report on the violations.

"The known victims include 235 women, 52 girls, 13 men and three boys," detailed the probe, following its visit to 13 affected villages in the Walikale region in Nord-Kivu province.

"In addition, at least 923 houses and 42 shops were looted and 116 people were abducted in order to carry out forced labour," it said.

Before the probe, the UN officials had noted at least 242 rapes in these villages, and another 260 in other parts of Nord and Sud Kivu provinces.

Related Coverage. Action sought on Congo rapes.
The Australian, 27 Aug 2010
UN 'didn't know' about Congo mass rapes
Adelaide Now, 26 Aug 2010
200 women gang-raped in Congo
Herald Sun, 24 Aug 2010
Rape by armed men 'widespread in Congo'
Adelaide Now, 15 Apr 2010
Sixteen dead in attack on mine
Adelaide Now, 13 Aug 20.

The UN joint mission said that due to serious insecurity in the area, it had not been able to confirm other cases and the exact circumstances surrounding the other incidents.

But on the Walikale case, the probe identified "serious shortcomings" on the part of the local Congolese army and police to prevent mass rapes.

The local forces' "failure to prevent or stop the attacks was compounded by subsequent failings on the part of MONUSCO forces, which it says had not received any specific training on the protection of civilians, and suffered from a number of operational constraints".

The report blamed the rapes on around 200 members of the Mai-Mai Cheka group, the rebels of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda and a group connected to army deserter Emmanuel Nsengiyumva.

Detailing the horrific events, the report said the militia arrived in villages pretending that they wanted to protect the population, before launching their attacks in small groups.

Armed with AK47s, grenades and machetes, the militia trapped the population, cutting off all telephone communications and preventing the villagers from raising the alarm.

"While one group was looting and raping in a village ... another would be setting ambushes to catch people fleeing through the forest, who were also then raped or taken away as forced labour," it added.

"The scale and viciousness of these mass rapes defy belief," said UN human rights chief Navi Pillay.

"Even in the eastern part of DRC where rape has been a perennial and massive problem for the past 15 years, this incident stands out because of the extraordinarily cold-blooded and systematic way in which it appears to have been planned and executed."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...00/story-e6frfku0-1225929091335#ixzz10UeBdEOo

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank goodness the UN did not have a peacekeeping force there. [/sarcasm]

A while back there was a picture making the rounds of the interwebz of some local villages who had picked up a variety of boomenshooters from wheellocks to AK-74s and had driven back repeated attempts by both the "militia" and the "government forces" trying to "secure" their village. Does anybody remember that picture?

It's not just non-colonialism that's messing up these folks' lives. It's the continuation of a policy of disarming the population in order to assure they cannot defend themselves against wild animals, bandits, or out-of-control government. But I repeat myself thrice.

[political commentary]If Obama will not let us have the surplus M-1s and M-1 carbines from South Korea, would he consider airdropping them to these folks?[/political commentary]

stay safe.

Jack House

[political commentary]If Obama will not let us have the surplus M-1s and M-1 carbines from South Korea, would he consider airdropping them to these folks?[/political commentary]
Absolutely not! What's a few (hundred) rapes in the face of strong gun control? Surely if these villiagers had weapons they'd get raped twice as much as they do now!

No pun/double entendre intended. :lol:

Daylen

Absolutely not! What's a few (hundred) rapes in the face of strong gun control? Surely if these villiagers had weapons they'd get raped twice as much as they do now!

No pun/double entendre intended. :lol:

of course they'd get raped more often! they'd be raping and murdering each other! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Daylen -

Please use emoticons or other indicators of sarcasm/snark if what you posted was intended to be interpreted as anything other than a straight reading of the words you posted.

If there was no alternate meaning intended, would you please explain why carrying firearms seems to be OK for you but not for those other folks?

Jack House -

That smiley at the end of "no pun/double entendre intended" is confusing. Please be so kind as to explain yourself more clearly, as right now it seems one negates the other. In other words, a waste of electrons.

Thank you in advance to both of you for helping me decide how I should be considering you.

stay safe.

Jack House

Jack House -

That smiley at the end of "no pun/double entendre intended" is confusing. Please be so kind as to explain yourself more clearly, as right now it seems one negates the other. In other words, a waste of electrons.
The unintended pun is funny to me, hence the laughing smilie. Rape has multiple meanings, one of which is to be utterly destroyed. With that in mind, my second sentence has a double meaning.

"Surely if these villagers had weapons they'd get raped twice as much as they do now!"

My original intent was they would get sexually assaulted more because as we all know guns only help the bad guys.

However, it could also be read as I am saying that they are both going to still get sexually assault, but also destroyed in any fight they engage to ward off their attackers, thus raped twice as much.

Interpret it either way, but the statement, whichever way you decide read it, is sarcasm. I don't actually believe that, just mocking the Brady Bunch and pointing out how they'd be happier with a rape victim than a dead rapist.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes, the Brady folks do consider a dead rape victim to be morally superior to a person who prevented that crime from being consumated by shooting the perpetrator. I think it has something to do witn a fetish related to nylon stockings. :D

stay safe.