• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO ran I.D

boyscout399

My wife car broke down in Palm coast and LEO stopped an he ask to see her I.D than ran it.
Can they do that ? She didn't do anything wrong.

The key is he asked. She had no obligation to comply. She consented to the intrusion.

If I asked you for $1000 are you obligated to give it to me? anyone can ask for anything for any reason.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If she was in the car or otherwise obviously the driver, there may be state law requiring her to show a drivers license upon LEO request.

If she was doing nothing wrong, it does sound a little Stalinist.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Google and search functions are your friend.

Florida Statute 322.15(1):

(1) Every licensee shall have his or her driver's license, which must be fully legible with no portion of such license faded, altered, mutilated, or defaced, in his or her immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon the demand of a law enforcement officer or an authorized representative of the department...

(4) A violation of subsection (1) is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/florida/statutes/florida_statutes_322-15

brboyer

Google and search functions are your friend.

Florida Statute 322.15(1):

(1) Every licensee shall have his or her driver's license, which must be fully legible with no portion of such license faded, altered, mutilated, or defaced, in his or her immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon the demand of a law enforcement officer or an authorized representative of the department...

(4) A violation of subsection (1) is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/florida/statutes/florida_statutes_322-15

They can only 'demand' if the contact is non-consensual (like a traffic stop which requires RAS of a crime/infraction.) Otherwise it is a request that she was under no obligation to comply with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
They can only 'demand' if the contact is non-consensual (like a traffic stop which requires RAS of a crime/infraction.) Otherwise it is a request that she was under no obligation to comply with.

Cite, please.

Forum Rule #5

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

brboyer

Cite, please.

Forum Rule #5

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

U.S Constutition, Fourth Ammendment
Florida Constutition, Article 1, Section 12

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
U.S Constutition, Fourth Ammendment
Florida Constutition, Article 1, Section 12

I don't think that's gonna cut it. Driving is a rather regulated activity. If what you cite has blanket applicability, then suspicionless police roadblocks to check license and registration or sobriety would be illegal.

I have no information that police cannot demand a driver's license from someone driving who is already stopped. If there is a case allowing such I would like to know about it. I am not saying there is or isn't one. I'm saying I don't know of any, and would like to read a case that decided it one way or the other.

Last edited:

johnfenter

Hmmm....

"...in his or her immediate possession at all times when OPERATING a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon the demand of a law enforcement officer..."

Seems to me that standing next to a broken down car on the side of the road, or even sitting in a broken down car on the side of the road, is NOT "operating a motor vehicle". After all, if the damned thing was "operating" in the first place, there would be no encounter. I'm sure that some court precedent from drunk driving cases has been developed and misapplied to all such situations, though. That's how they convict people of DUI who have the car keys in their pocket while sleeping it off in the back seat at a rest stop. But it's not right or ethical to do this to somebody that you purportedly stopped to "assist"...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP But it's not right or ethical to do this to somebody that you purportedly stopped to "assist"...

+1

And, that kinda proves the cop wasn't actually there to assist, doesn't it.

"First, let me see if I can arrest you for something and add to my score card, then we'll see about assisting you."