• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Send a note of thanks to NJ Governor!

Lovenox

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/nj_man_goes_from_inmate_to_nra.html

Contact the Governor @(609) 777-2500 or here: http://www.nj.gov/governor/contact/

Please express your support for common sense!

N.J. man goes from inmate to NRA celebrity as Gov. Christie commutes gun sentence
Published: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 12:00 PM Updated: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 2:19 PM
By Chris Megerian/Statehouse Bureau

N.J. DOCBrian Aitken
TRENTON — No one told Brian Aitken why he was being removed from his prison tier on Monday night after dinner. He was transferred to the hospital wing and placed in a single cell by himself.

It wasn’t until the next morning that he found out Gov. Chris Christie had commuted his prison sentence for weapons charges. He was released from the Mid-State Correctional Facility Annex in Wrightstown after serving four months behind bars, far short of his full seven-year sentence.

"I’m home with my family now," Aitken said in a phone interview with New Jersey 101.5. "And it still hasn’t hit me."

.....................................---Moderator Edited--
RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

Vandal

You're kidding right? Yes the sentence was commuted but Aitken is still a convicted felon. I won't be happy until his record is wiped clear, that judge is out of a job and Aitken is rewarded a nice settlement for his time in prison.

We don't need to be rewarding the Gov of NJ with an atta-boy letter for doing a half-a$$ed job, especially considering that the judge withheld vital info from the jury after they asked for it 3 different time.

MKEgal

I used the web form once to prod the Gov. to do the right thing, and now again to thank him for his first step in the right direction:

Thank you for commuting Brian's sentence!! It's a good first step in righting the multiple wrongs & crimes committed against him. We look forward to hearing that he's been completely exonerated & his "record" restored to its previous pristine condition.

Lovenox

You're kidding right? Yes the sentence was commuted but Aitken is still a convicted felon. I won't be happy until his record is wiped clear, that judge is out of a job and Aitken is rewarded a nice settlement for his time in prison.

We don't need to be rewarding the Gov of NJ with an atta-boy letter for doing a half-a$$ed job, especially considering that the judge withheld vital info from the jury after they asked for it 3 different time.

What can the gov legally do to the judge? Considering that guns are a third rail political issue, and 99.9% of others would have avoided the issue,I think the gov was actually brave in doing what he did. ONE victory at a time my friend. One at a time. It in no way means we have to settle for less and it in no way means you should bash the gov.

.45ACPaddy

From what I've heard (so don't take my word for it), commuting the sentence was the quickest way to get him out of prison and back with his family. A pardon would have taken longer.

Once again, this is just what I've heard.

If this is the case, then it makes sense as to why the sentence was commuted, rather than a full on pardon given. Let's keep an eye out on this.

onlurker

You're kidding right? Yes the sentence was commuted but Aitken is still a convicted felon.

This is why I'm not quite ready to give thanks to the NJ governor just yet. Until he gets a full pardon of that felony and his record expunged, I don't think we're going in the right direction just yet.