• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry experiences

phred

Boy am I lucky I was oc'ing today. I was doing chores today and the family dog Pumpkin, (I know, my daughter named him) went arround the side of the barn and did he start to pitch a fit, all hell broke loose so I went to see what the commotion was all about. When I rounded the corner I found myself staring straight into the eyes of one pi**ed off opossum. Now let me tell you my friends, you don't want to tangle with one of these mean creatures, especially in the winter. It did not take long to realize that I had found myself in a bad situation. After some carefull maneuvering I was able to draw my sidearm and neutralize the situation. Luck was on my side today, after all, has anyone ever heard of someone surviving an attack from an opossum, especially in the winter?

Vernon County, huh... high altitude...?

baked 'posssum n' grits for supper? :banana:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't let that one get away.

But you would say "it was a good shoot"? Right?

Last edited:

johnny amish

Up here in the hills we don't let anything go to waste. Dinner is around 6:00 stop by. Ma's grits are good with extra gravy.

Last edited:
M

McX

Protias, you are of course correct, but I am trying to deflect the efforts of anti-gun liberals to use our own statements against us. Example: 1) Concealed Carry is illegal in Wi. 2) The anti-gun liberals do not know (or care) that McX owns the property or business, and 3) They use this post to show that law abiding Wisconsin Citizens carry concealed despite (current) WI law.

So, Yes, all your anti-gun liberals - if you quote this thread, quote all of it - including the part about the fact that McX owns his business and the real property it is located on.

yup, i own the business, the land, the building, and the tax burden............oh lucky me. i wont even mention the charming neighborhood it is located in.

M

McX

2 −
In State of Wisconsin v. Munir A. Hamdan, 264 Wis. 2d 433 (2003), the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that Hamdan’s constitutional right to bear arms had been violated, overturning his conviction for violating the law. Hamdan, the owner of a family-run grocery store in a high-crime neighborhood in Milwaukee, routinely kept a loaded gun under the counter near the cash register. In addition to numerous violent criminal incidents outside the store, his premises had been the target of four armed robberies in recent years. In one, the assailant’s gun misfired when the trigger was pulled, sparing Hamdan’s life. In another, he shot and killed a robber in self-defense. In the incident at issue, he was in the process of putting the gun in storage for the night when he was discovered by police to be carrying it in his pants pocket. The court found that the statute could not be constitutionally applied in this situation because Hamdan’s personal interest in having a concealed weapon in his store outweighed the state’s interest in enforcing the statute:
If the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for security is to mean anything, it must, as a general matter, permit a person to possess, carry and sometimes conceal arms to maintain the security of his private residence or privately operated business, and to safely move and store weapons within these premises.
The court went on to state that a Wisconsin resident has the right to carry a concealed weapon on his or her property, business, or
− 3 −
LRB−08−WB−16
home, when: 1) the need to exercise this right is significant, 2) the person has no other reasonable means to keep and handle the weapon, and 3) the person was not motivated by any unlawful purpose in concealing the weapon.

READ IT AND WEEP ANTI-GUN SCUM!!!!!!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

Hmmm..... I was born in Vernon county..... I have eaten roadkill.... BUT I am fussy about it. It's got to be fresh and I don't think I'd eat Opossum; but Deer and a grouse I hit once....Yummy.

Wait, whoops, we weren't talking about roadkill. Well, still; I wouldn't eat opossum. Racoon is not too bad though.

:lol:

Scary looking and not delicious looking:

opossum-new-york.jpg

Last edited:
M

McX

brass, your pic brought to mind an empisode of trek, the original series, where McCoy was teasing Spock over having a pet as a child. Spock burned him good with: Doctor, on Vulcan the teddy bears are live, and have 6 inch fangs.

M

McX

this just handed me; fellow business guy across the street from me at the shop, after going to his vehicle, curbside, school zone, to put his unloaded encased into his vehicle, turned back toward his business; almost got pearl harbored by 3 of them who pinned him and wanted money, something scared them off at the last moment. friquin school zones, friquin criminals. it's that close.

protias

this just handed me; fellow business guy across the street from me at the shop, after going to his vehicle, curbside, school zone, to put his unloaded encased into his vehicle, turned back toward his business; almost got pearl harbored by 3 of them who pinned him and wanted money, something scared them off at the last moment. friquin school zones, friquin criminals. it's that close.
You weren't standing at the end of your drive were you?

M

McX

no, either he left early, or i left late, usually we watch out for each other, and leave the same time, or close to.

johnny amish

Hmmm..... I was born in Vernon county..... I have eaten roadkill.... BUT I am fussy about it. It's got to be fresh and I don't think I'd eat Opossum; but Deer and a grouse I hit once....Yummy.

Wait, whoops, we weren't talking about roadkill. Well, still; I wouldn't eat opossum. Racoon is not too bad though.

:lol:

Scary looking and not delicious looking:

opossum-new-york.jpg

Don't knock it till you try it. A little Sweet Baby Ray's can make anything taste good.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
From southern.food.com, this delightful recipe for stuffed, roasted possum:

....Scary looking and not delicious looking:

opossum-new-york.jpg
From southern.food.com, this delightful recipe for stuffed, roasted possum:
Servings:10

Ingredients:

* 1 possum
* 1 cup salt

Directions:

Prep Time: 3 hrs

Total Time: 4 1/2 hrs

1. Roast Possum:.
2. The possum is a very fat animal with a peculiarly flavored meat.
3. It is dressed much as one would dress a suckling pig, removing the entrails, and if desired, the head and tail.
4. After it is dressed, wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water.
5. Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt.
6. Allow to stand overnight. In morning, drain off the salted water and rinse well with clear water.
7. Stuff opossum with opossum stuffing (stuffing recipes next); sew opening or fasten with skewers.
8. Place in roaster, add 2 tablespoons water and roast in moderate oven (350°F) until tender and richly browned, about one and one half hours.
9. Baste every 15 minutes with drippings.
10. Remove skewers or stitches, and place on heated platter.
11. Skim fat from gravy remaining in pan.
12. Opossum Stuffing:.
13. Brown onion in fat.
14. Add finely chopped opossum liver and cook until liver is tender.
15. Add crumbs, a little red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and water to moisten.

Possum Stuffing

* 1 large onion, chopped fine
* 1 tablespoon fat
* opossum liver (optional)
* 1 cup breadcrumbs
* chopped red pepper
* 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
* 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped fine
* salt, to taste

Read more: http://southern.food.com/recipe/stuffed-roast-opossum-107969#ixzz1BgaPwDcR
By the way, when it comes to Wisconsin hunting laws,
Opossum, Skunk, Weasel, and Snowshoe Hare
No season limits, bag limits, size limits, or possession limits
That makes Possum the "Anytime treat"

Last edited:

phred

I found a similar recipe. Down on the bottom of the page in very fine print, it read.

Throw away the 'possum, stuffing, and juices. Find the nearest Culver's and get a Burger, Fries, and Shake.

protias

wouldnt that constitute disorderly conduct, given the totality of circumstances?!

Logic would dictate only if the fire lit something else on fire, but given the totality of the circumstances, logic is thrown out the window. :banghead: