• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The open carry myth

brk913

You are objecting to me asking for the identity of people who have told you that they will violate rights and the law after being informed of the law?

Abuse under color of law is a federal offense, these officers need to be educated and informed before they make a very serious mistake.

Not to mention we/I hear all the time from people who say an officer told them this or that.

1) Never take legal advice from the police.
2) Those people can never 'remember' who they talked to or have some other reason to hide the name of a public official who has chose to disobey the law.

I for one will not believe someone who asserts that a faceless entity has told them this or that when all solid evidence (people OCing and even being briefly detained in New Britain) points to the contrary.

This forum has a 'cite to authority' rule. I believe that is coming into play here..

Although I agree with your above comments and have informed my friends of the consequences of violating the rights of permit holders as well as any other citizens. I am not so sure a court would agree that approaching an armed person and disarming them while they "investigate" the situation would be considered an abuse under color of law (again I am not agreeing with it just stating what I have seen and heard when it comes to complaints against abuse of power, look at Philadelphia where they say they will continue to harrass OCers and they have allowable OC written right into the laws). FYI I also do not take legal advice from the police and have informed my friends that I do know the law and will follow it, I ask them to do the same. Again, I am on your side here, just relaying what I have been told. If you do not want to believe what I have been told that is your right. As ar as the "cite to authority" I will not drag my friends names through the mud no matter how ignorant they may be.

And did he immediately file an appeal with the BFPE? Did he get the names of the officers involved and get anyone else involved in his defense?

Officers of the law do not make the law and in this state there are legal remedies when they try.
The answer to this question is yes, this was a husband and wife who applied at the same time. They filed an immediate appeal and contacted the DPS to see if the background check had been sent back to HPD (it had been sent back to HPD a month earlier, contrary to what HPD told them). Results: They received their temp permits 4 days later (guess HPD realized they were on the wrong end of that battle). My point was that their are so many LEO who think they can do what they want because most people will not call them out on it, if more people did things would change.

I don't understand how this is relevant. My case involved the officers learning before they booked me that BoP is not a valid charge for OC. Disorderly also fell flat immediately.

Explain what supports your assertion that if you OC you can be charged with BoP.

It seems to me that you are trying to cite anecdotal evidence that police can do whatever they want and charge you for whatever they want. If this is so, what difference does it make if you OC or not? They can just as easily stop, detain, ID and arrest you for anything else that is legal if what you are asserting is true.

Ex: I have never heard of anyone in CT successfully suing the police department for false arrest because they rode a unicycle in public. Clearly no one should ever ride a unicycle in public.
This was a response to the above poster who stated: Ah yes the" you will be arrested" line... funny how we hear that too in MI but there hase been only one actual arrest and in that case several people were fired and the OCer got a settlement.

I am not asserting that if you OC you will be charged with BOP, in fact as I have stated several times in this thread I OC about half the time, if I really thought that it warranted any charge do you think I would continue to OC?

I am not citing anecdotal evidence, I am stating that in fact LEO have in the past and probably continue to "do whatever they want" and have gotten away with it, I am not saying I like it or agree with it.

Your unicycle analogy does not match up, we are talking about OC and the police believeing that OC is illegal, you know as well as I do that some officers just don't get it. Again, I am sure if someone can get revocation information for the past 20 years you will find numerous people who have lost their permit over it. This is part of the reason we are in the situation we are in, up until the last few years no one has called them on it. Again I am not telling anyone not to OC, still not sure why you do not understand that.

I can't prove a negative. But this doesn't mean that you are proving anything with wild speculation and anecdotal evidence. No one here is asserting that no one has ever been in trouble for OC before. But Goldberg's case was the last really bad one we had where the police not only arrested for BoP, but also revoked and destroyed his firearm. Stay in the parameters of the discussion, otherwise you are only building strawmen.
My point is that Goldberg may have been the last but prior to him standing his ground and fighting back how many others lost their permits and/or guns? We may never know.

And this was immediately withdrawn from their website when it was pointed out to them that it carried no power of law and that state law said nothing about firearms needing to be concealed.

I once saw something on a website that said horses can fly, but that holds about the same weight and relevance here.
That was posted on their website for at least 15 years and no one called them on it till Goldberg. Although you say it carried no weight it sure has shaped the way LE continues to this day to argue the legality of OC, in fact I saw a post here within the last week or so where someone stated that the PD quoted that to them. That is why it is relevant.

What does this have to do with anything? You can be arrested anytime, anywhere and for anything. And you will have to go defend yourself just like I did.

But you are trying to scare people out of legal activity because it might cost them a tank of gas? I don't get that.

It has to do with the fact that you stated, "I didn't spend a dime defending myself." which may be true for legal fees but there are other costs involved.

ONE MORE TIME SO YOU CAN HEAR ME, I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE ANYONE OUT OF ANYTHING, GO OC ALL YOU WANT, I FULLY SUPPORT IT AND WILL STAND WITH YOU AND IN FACT IN FRONT OF YOU IF YOU WISH, BUT IF YOU WANT ME TO SAY THAT THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN GET INTO A JAM FOR IT THAT WOULD BE A LIE DUE TO THE FACT THERE ARE STILL LEO WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND AND FOLLOW THRE LAW. Granted in the end you will more than likely be exonerated for any "trouble" you get into but it could still prove a hassle for some.

Again, irrelevant. All of those seizures were illegal. I cannot speak for the people involved and why they did not go after the police department about it, but there are cases going on right now that will be tightening this area up.

Again, just because the police got away with violating the law before doesn't mean that citizens have no legal remedies.

I do not understand how it is irrelevant, it shows a continued pattern of abusing the laws to the benefit of the police officers. I did not want to get into details on any of these but will give you one example. A friend was driving to get cofee in Berlin in his bosses car (boss sent him out in it). What he did not mention to my friend is his registration was expired and he had a small bag of pot under the seat. My friend was pulled over and was carrying his pistol, incident to the arrest for expired reg and prior to towing the car they searched it, found the pot and arrested my ffriend and seized his pistol and permit, they shipped his permit off to DPS. After going to court where the case was thrown out due to it not being his vehicle he was able to immediatly recover his seized pistol from the PD, however, due to the fact that he no longer held a valid permit I actually had to go down there and pick it up with him. The DPS held his permit till just before his appeal to the BOFPE (almost a year) and then just mailed it back to him prior to his appeal being heard. Did the Berlin PD get in trouble for what they did? Did the DPS tell them they were wrong? The answer is no. Could my friend have tried to sue them? Maybe but that costs money, money he does not have. Can we ask to have the officer who seized the permit arrested for violating state statute? I doubt it. So please tell me Rich, what is the remedy here? How can we get it to stop if we cannot afford to sue? Even if you do sue the courts always seem to hold the police to a lower standard. Remember the State Trooper who had an accidental discharge at the Bushnell, he did not lose his permit, get reprimanded or anything else, what do you think would have happened if it was you or I?

Rich B

I am not so sure a court would agree that approaching an armed person and disarming them while they "investigate" the situation would be considered an abuse under color of law (again I am not agreeing with it just stating what I have seen and heard when it comes to complaints against abuse of power, look at Philadelphia where they say they will continue to harrass OCers and they have allowable OC written right into the laws).

You are using as evidence a case that has not even entered court.

How about I cite two cases where the courts have already decided?

- St. John v. McColley
- Terry v. Ohio

You cannot harass any citizen without reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime. Open carry is not a crime.

So, yes, these cases are being won all across the country, and they will continue to be.

If you do not want to believe what I have been told that is your right. As ar as the "cite to authority" I will not drag my friends names through the mud no matter how ignorant they may be.

Well what have you given me to believe? That an anonymous poster on the internet heard a cop say "OC is illegal", just like we have all heard a thousand times before?

Wallingford used to say the same thing.

My point was that their are so many LEO who think they can do what they want because most people will not call them out on it, if more people did things would change.

Right, and police will continue to think OC is not legal and that they can infringe upon a carrier's rights until more people do it and defend themselves when necessary against their infringements.

I am not asserting that if you OC you will be charged with BOP, in fact as I have stated several times in this thread I OC about half the time, if I really thought that it warranted any charge do you think I would continue to OC?

But you do assert that no one could OC in New Britain because they will be proned out, arrested for OC and their permit revoked.

I am not citing anecdotal evidence, I am stating that in fact LEO have in the past and probably continue to "do whatever they want" and have gotten away with it, I am not saying I like it or agree with it.

Cite one time they 'got away with it'.

Your unicycle analogy does not match up, we are talking about OC and the police believeing that OC is illegal, you know as well as I do that some officers just don't get it.

What doesn't match up? OC is as legal as riding unicycles. I cannot tell you for sure whether or not most police officers are aware of the laws regarding unicycles.

Again, I am sure if someone can get revocation information for the past 20 years you will find numerous people who have lost their permit over it.

You say that like you cannot get it or people have not gotten it before.

http://ctgunrights.com/00.Docs/SLFU.entries/SLFU 1 First 100 pages.pdf
http://ctgunrights.com/00.Docs/SLFU.entries/SLFU 10 Tenth 100 pages.pdf
http://ctgunrights.com/00.Docs/SLFU.entries/SLFU 1 First 100 pages.pdf
http://ctgunrights.com/00.Docs/SLFU.entries/SLFU 2 Second 100 pages.pdf
http://ctgunrights.com/00.Docs/SLFU.entries/SLFU 10 Tenth 100 pages.pdf

There is plenty more where that comes from if you want it: http://ctgunrights.com

I cannot prove a negative, but you have the data now, feel free to show all these OC cases where permits were revoked.

Again I am not telling anyone not to OC, still not sure why you do not understand that.

You very effectively spread the OC myth and FUD about officers 'proning people out' and arresting for BoP in New Britain. If your disagreement stands from you not discouraging OC state wide and only in New Britain, I can agree to that, but it is equally wrong. State law is supreme in these regards.

My point is that Goldberg may have been the last but prior to him standing his ground and fighting back how many others lost their permits and/or guns? We may never know.

Nor does it matter.

That was posted on their website for at least 15 years and no one called them on it till Goldberg. Although you say it carried no weight it sure has shaped the way LE continues to this day to argue the legality of OC, in fact I saw a post here within the last week or so where someone stated that the PD quoted that to them. That is why it is relevant.

It carries no weight of law, no matter who quotes it, believes it, etc. CGS 29-35 is crystal clear.

It carried just as much weight as the guy at counter of a gun store telling everyone how OC will get them arrested and have SWAT teams moving in.

It carried just as much weight as someone on the internet telling people they will get 'proned out' and arrested if someone 'makes them'.

It has to do with the fact that you stated, "I didn't spend a dime defending myself." which may be true for legal fees but there are other costs involved.

So your entire argument is "OC might cost you a tank of gas! Don't do it in New Britain!"?

ONE MORE TIME SO YOU CAN HEAR ME, I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE ANYONE OUT OF ANYTHING

But you did help spread the myth of OCers being 'proned out' and arrested in New Britain which has that effect of scaring many CT residents out of OCing. That is what this thread is about, no?

Granted in the end you will more than likely be exonerated for any "trouble" you get into but it could still prove a hassle for some.

So how would this be like any other arrest for any other law abiding behavior? Would you advise me to not smoke on the sidewalk in case an officer doesn't understand CT's smoking laws and decides to arrest me?

it shows a continued pattern of abusing the laws to the benefit of the police officers.

Officers you refuse to bring to light for promising the same abuses.

Did the Berlin PD get in trouble for what they did? Did the DPS tell them they were wrong? The answer is no.

Did you expect the PD to sue themselves? To discipline themselves?

So please tell me Rich, what is the remedy here?

Between doing nothing and doing nothing? I would have done something, just like I did with Wallingford and Old Saybrook.

How can we get it to stop if we cannot afford to sue?

Do you think I have a money tree growing outside of my house? I am going after Wallingford on my own dime, with a few small (and yet very generous) contributions from some great people here who actually believe in fighting for the cause.

There are way more people in CT who are gun owners who won't contribute though and will just sit idly by condemning lawful behavior because they don't 'agree with' something that person did. I suppose that is easier than throwing a few bucks towards a cause, or helping with FOI requests or something, but ultimately that is their choice.

I am in it for tens of thousands of dollars. Are you contributing anything to anyone's case?

Even if you do sue the courts always seem to hold the police to a lower standard. Remember the State Trooper who had an accidental discharge at the Bushnell, he did not lose his permit, get reprimanded or anything else, what do you think would have happened if it was you or I?

Then get out there and support some of these cases in CT to help fix it.

Rich B

Not sure about CT, here in MO, the $35 infraction is due to not having the permit on your person, not being legally permitted CCW.

Same here. The poster was referring to having local police illegally confiscate (steal) your permit and not being able to carry after that.

As long as the permit is still valid, you are only subject to the infraction.

riverrat10k

snip.... So please tell me Rich, what is the remedy here? How can we get it to stop if we cannot afford to sue?

Open carry, every day, wherever it is legal. Get friends to go with you. Record everything (if legal in CT).

After all, isn't the catchphrase of this site "A right unexercised is a right lost" ? Many brave, law-abiding citizens around the country have stood up to illegalities propagated by local PD's. Outcomes have been, of course, mixed. The point is, however, things will never change unless citizens try to change the status quo.

Rich B, thanks for what you do in CT. I hope your actions inspire others to take a stand for their rights. I hope my actions do the same here in VA. I KNOW FOR A FACT THE TYPES OF TRANSGRESSIONS ALLUDED TO BY THE OP WILL NOT STOP UNLESS THEY ARE FOUGHT. Be a man or be a wimp. Your choice.

KIX

Ummmmmmmmm fat guy in the back row raising his hand here.....

I've been open carrying when I get out of the car in New Britain for the past six months (practically living at the now ex girlfriends place).

Never had a problem.

Stepson is a police explorer, told all his superiors about me open carrying. Many have said it's not legal, but not a one of 'em has stopped me yet.

If it does, then so be it and I'll deal with it then.

But, six months...... I'm just sayin'........

Jonathan

brk913

Stepson is a police explorer, told all his superiors about me open carrying. Many have said it's not legal, but not a one of 'em has stopped me yet.

Thanks for another post backing up my origianl point,...just because no one has stepped forward to tell us about it happening to them does not mean it has not or will not happen. Most LEO in NB believe it to be illegal, for anyone to state that an unlawul stop and arrest could not or will not ever occur they must be living in a gun owner utopia.

Compare NB to Wethersfield, they are fully aware OC is legal, why? Because Goldberg's Godfather is Chief of Police and he made sure his Department knows the law.

I have been speeding through NB every day for over 20 years and have not been stopped or ticketed for it yet either, does not mean it cannnot or will not happen.

I am done with this thread, I have been painted to be a fear mongerer, trying to persuade people to not OC, in reality I am just stating the attitude of NBPD (and I am as disgusted by them as everyone else and have actually told them so), most if not all LEO in NB are unaware or just do not care about the legality of OC and will take the actions their department or other oficers "tell them" to when it comes to MWAG calls.

Rich B

for anyone to state that an unlawul stop and arrest could not or will not ever occur they must be living in a gun owner utopia.

I don't know of anyone who has stated this or believes it to be the case. Even in states where OC is a common sight there are illegal detainments and arrests. You keep trying to move the debate, but you cannot.

Your assertion was this:
brk913 said:
go ahead and open carry in New Britain and see what that gets you ... you will be ordered to lay face down at gun point if they see you

We have asserted that this is not at all the case. No one here has backed your point at all, despite your claims that people are agreeing with you.

New Britain police may or may not know the laws well. There may or may not be officers in New Britain or elsewhere who have decided that they will break the law and violate people's rights if they see them. None of this is relevant.

Your assertion is wrong. We have introduced empirical evidence that it is wrong. I have OCed in New Britain right by LEOs and some sort of military branch (national guard maybe?) and they all looked me up and down and I went on my way with no contact.

Kix OCs there regularly.

I know I have heard of someone else (having trouble finding it, hoping they will speak up) that had contact with New Britain in which they were detained, asked why they are carrying openly, responded that their ordinance requires it. The officer didn't know about the ordinance, but the person was not hassled further.

So unless you are going to produce some kind of evidence of your claims and assertions, then the OP is exactly right. You are perpetuating this myth in CT that has denied many people their right to OC for a long time out of fear of these stories.

Compare NB to Wethersfield, they are fully aware OC is legal, why? Because Goldberg's Godfather is Chief of Police and he made sure his Department knows the law.

Irrelevant. The laws are statewide. Local municipalities do not have the power to enforce their own laws that don't exist.

I have been speeding through NB every day for over 20 years and have not been stopped or ticketed for it yet either, does not mean it cannnot or will not happen.

So you compare an illegal act to OCing? If you were going to make an analogy from a position of knowledge about the laws around OCing, you would need to equate it this way:

"I have been driving through NB every day for over 20 years and have not been stopped and had a gun pointed at me either, does not mean it cannot or will not happen."

This may certainly be the case. Do you believe you should stop driving in NB? If you were told by NB officers that they randomly pull people over and 'prone them out' and sometimes arrest them for BoP, would you stop driving in NB altogether? Would you go around to forums and tell the members that they shouldn't drive in New Britain because "you will be ordered to lay face down at gun point if they see you"?

I have been painted to be a fear mongerer, trying to persuade people to not OC

And you have done nothing to reverse that perception. I have asked you several times to back up your claims and to help the cause, but you have refused to.

in reality I am just stating the attitude of NBPD (and I am as disgusted by them as everyone else and have actually told them so), most if not all LEO in NB are unaware or just do not care about the legality of OC and will take the actions their department or other oficers "tell them" to when it comes to MWAG calls.

And you continue to perpetuate the myth even in this same thread. If you feel this is the case and you are so disgusted by public officials making public comments about abusing citizen's rights, do something about it. Start by outing those officers and their comments and when they took place.

Otherwise, you are just another anonymous person on the internet giving the same tired 'an officer told me' stories over and over again. For all we know, this could have been anyone or no one telling you this. This could have been 25 years ago for all we know.

Last edited:

KIX

A few points to ponder....

I did not back up any assertion about new Britain. i actually did the opposite. I know the law, not breaking the law (or their silly ordinance that the office of Legislative Research says most likely will not hold up in court).

I carry legally to point out the absurdity of their preemptive ordinance.

Now, lets say I get arrested, or charged with BOP. I'm fine with that. I have a totally clean record. I know that any charges HAVE to be dropped. I'm willing to back my state and federal constitutional rights up against a local municipality that either doesn't believe in them or doesn't care.

I look at it like this:

As demonstrated above, some people fear getting arrested. I only speak for myself (but I think part of Rich falls in this category), but I take pride in pointing out a problem with law enforcement and infringement of our constitutional rights. Do I want to get arrested, absolutely not. Should I fear it when I'm breaking the law? Again, absolutely not.

I spend one or two days as an observer of our Board of Firearms Permit Examiners hearings. I've learned a lot there as well. I know if I'm not breaking the law, I'll get my permit back.

Like some here, I'm active in fighting to make sure we keep our rights. I think permitted firearms carriers in this state fall into a few categories:

1. don't know the law, and don't care as long as they walk that line that is created by those that want to control you, regardless of the law.

2. know the law, but still want to toe the line simply because they don't want to cause any trouble, go to court or deal with the system.

3. those that know the law, follow the law, and refuse to stand by and just let self imposed, not even close to legally binding ideologies interfere with them carrying their firearms legally. Regardless of having to deal with them in court and such.

I feel we need to educate those in group one.

i don't really have respect for those in group two, as they want to exercise the rights granted to them under state and our federal constitutions, but refuse to stand up when those rights are gradually being stripped away.

I fall under group three. I refuse to have my rights infringed and I will fight to keep them that way. I wouldn't spend as much time as a 2A activist in this state if I didn't. Though I hate the term "2A activist" in general. I think it is my right and obligation as a citizen to stand up and defend what I think is proper.

I didn't mean to ramble on on this one, but this thread started irking me a bit......

Jonathan

MGoduto

In which I was arrested, Wallingford quickly learned there is no such thing as OC == BoP and the let me go, instead trying to tack on a silly charge of disorderly to save face. Even the disorderly charge was immediately dismissed on 'no probable cause'.

I didn't spend a dime defending myself.

Your evidence does not support your assertion.

I'd almost forgotten about the encounter I had with the Newington cops in Stop & Shop (Fenn Road, Newington) a year ago, where the youngest of the three stated that my OC '...was a borderline breach-of-the-peace...'.

I remember emitting a loud sigh, asking how OC'ing fit with the behaviors mentioned in the breach-of-the-peace statute, and how could a perfectly legal activity be construed as breach-of-the-peace.

He didn't have an answer, and all three officers left shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

KIX

I remember emitting a loud sigh, asking how OC'ing fit with the behaviors mentioned in the breach-of-the-peace statute, and how could a perfectly legal activity be construed as breach-of-the-peace.

He didn't have an answer, and all three officers left shortly thereafter.

They usually don't. The BoP statutes clearly are written where you can't be charged with the statute, if you aren't breaking the law.

Rich can correct me, but I think we chatted on that one over coffee and something to that effect is what he was told by a judge (wasn't it something like that???).

Either way, it is funny watching them try to come up with a trumped up charge.

I honestly think that they are taught when they don't have a legitimate charge, and they've already pulled you over and are indeed in the wrong, to charge with BoP.

I swear, BoP is like a "Band Aid" for LEO's that barely made it out of their classes actually dealing with...... law!

Jonathan

Sorenguard

Very interesting guys.

I just completed the basic NRA pistol class required to get your permit here in CT. The instructor I had was overall impressive, and a fun guy. But when he referred to being able to have a gun as a privilege and not a right (explicitly saying this), I had to object. But I steered the objection towards OC, not just a general right to own a gun. I brought up some videos I saw on youtube about OC encounters with LEO's, and how CT law says that we can OC. The instructors point was that there is the ideal and reality. Ideally, we can OC per the law, but the reality is that you run the risk of getting at least hassled by the police, and at most arrested for something like BOP. I argued that the BOP couldn't stand up in court because there was no illegal act pertaining to it (as the law states), but he disagreed.

I really wasn't prepared to go all out in a debate with him that day (as I just started researching these things) and he has all kinds of medals from his military service, so I just respectfully disagreed. I noted how sad it is that a hero in our military can't walk down the street OC'ing because he doesn't want to be bothered by police. The idea being he (we all) have every right to do so, but because of ignorance or willful unlawfulness, we would get harassed by those meant to serve and protect.

Now I'm torn between what he said: the reality and the ideal. Reading this thread and others here, has given me more hope that the reality perhaps isn't so bad.

Rich B

Now I'm torn between what he said: the reality and the ideal. Reading this thread and others here, has given me more hope that the reality perhaps isn't so bad.

I can only add this:

Time and time again, I find that the people who preach the most about how risky OC is and how people will panic and the SWAT team will show up are the same people who have never OCed. Likewise, you can always tell the people who OC regularly, because they have come to realize that it just isn't a big deal.

Once you OC for a while, you realize it isn't a big deal. The worst thing you have to fear is some inconvenience and possibly some embarrassment (if you get embarrassed while having to educate a citizen or public servant on the laws of this state). You might be hassled be a citizen or a LEO. You might even be arrested. But the law is on your side.

Honestly, you could be stopped and/or arrested at any time for any reason. That doesn't make it right, legal or something you should be afraid of. We see this a lot with bystanders and photographers and videographers. It isn't the gun on your side, it is the criminal who under color of law with a willful disregard for what he swore to uphold and defend.

If the people preaching about how risky OC is were at all correct, why wouldn't they also tell you to never walk around with a camera or video set up? I see just as many LEO encounters for photography as I do for OC.

Sorenguard

funny you should point out the photography thing. An accident happened right outside my house. A truck slammed into a house across the street at 50 MPH. I went out with a video camera to record things from my yard. As the police rolled up (btw everyone was OK, no one was injured, I was just taping the damage to the vehicle and house), an officer approached me on my property and ordered me to turn off the camera. I looked confused, he walked away, I kept taping. A min later he looked back and noticed I was still taping and he walked over again pointing his finger and saying that he could arrest me and seize all my computer equipment in my house if I continued to record "him". I said I didn't think that was possible, and he said it's a law look it up. So i went inside and found out about our crazy wiretapping laws here in CT... it's really insane.

Last edited:

Sorenguard

I'll try to find it. From what I understand from my reading, CT is one of those states where you need the permission of all parties involved in the recording of audio/video. My details might be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure the cop was right about him not giving consent, and thus I not being legal in recording him. To me that is just not right given the public officer on a public road and me being in my private property etc.

Rich B

I'll try to find it. From what I understand from my reading, CT is one of those states where you need the permission of all parties involved in the recording of audio/video. My details might be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure the cop was right about him not giving consent, and thus I not being legal in recording him. To me that is just not right given the public officer on a public road and me being in my private property etc.

You are wrong, but you claim you read this in the statutes. Please post the statutes you read that confused you.

Sorenguard

In this following link is a post, just skip to where it says CT.
http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?3291-Telephone-Taping-amp-Recording-Laws

("9. CONNECTICUT
Connecticut joined the ranks of two party consent about 3 years ago. The State Police here is quite diligent in enforcing the law. Ironic, since they were the ones responsible for the law going inti effect by illegaly recording the telephone calls of prisoners at the individual barrack when arrested." )

Here is an article written by John Stossel explaining this abuse of the law:
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/s...-videotaping-police-shouldnt-be-criminal.html

Here is the law itself, at least what I think they are using to justify everything:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/chap959a.htm

Last edited: