• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC & Barbershops

Wolfebane

I open carry pretty much everywhere I go and I have a concealed carry permit just so I don't have to deal with unloading and loading every time I enter/exit my vehicle so I'm sure I'm covered but this weekend got me thinking.

I went in to get a haircut, OC as usual, sat down in the chair as I have many times before and had the usual cover placed over me to catch hair. And it suddenly occurred to me....does this still count as OC because I'm stationary and it's temporary and not an article of clothing that I own but part of a service I am purchasing?

I tried to do some searching but couldn't seem to find an answer so I was wondering if any of you here might know the answer.

amlevin

Is that barber's cape an article of your clothing or one of their tools?

Can't see it being an issue unless a cop comes in and starts questioning you while you're getting your hair cut. If the barber/stylist doesn't care I wouldn't give it much thought. I'd worry more about keeping the barber happy while shaving your neck with that straight razor :)

Wolfebane

I never said it was an issue, because I said I was covered with a CPL either way, but that the question still occurred to me and I was interested in knowing the answer.

Just because I have something that makes the specific topic moot, doesn't mean that I'm not still interested. I find it interesting that eventually someone always jumps to something like that and basically says "don't ask because you're covered already"

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Watch out for Guido!

cape, that's the term I was originally looking for...blanket just didn't fit at all when I thought it out to type it.

But yes, it's theirs not mine.

It's been my understanding that if you're wearing a "cape" you are some kind of Super Hero and impervious to what's going on around you, so I think you're OK.

I OC while I get hair cuts and I've never thought about the weapon going 'concealed" when they put the cape on me, And, you know, the Mafia used to do a lot of "hits" in barber shops. And just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT after me! I have my CPL so I guess it doesn't matter.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I never said it was an issue, because I said I was covered with a CPL either way, but that the question still occurred to me and I was interested in knowing the answer.

Just because I have something that makes the specific topic moot, doesn't mean that I'm not still interested. I find it interesting that eventually someone always jumps to something like that and basically says "don't ask because you're covered already"

OK, I'll bite....
The legal answer from RCW 9.41.050
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

You walked in Open Carrying and when you leave you will be OCing. Common sense says that unless a bunch of LEOs come through the door, you got nothing to worry about with or without a CPL.

amzbrady

It's been my understanding that if you're wearing a "cape" you are some kind of Super Hero and impervious to what's going on around you, so I think you're OK.

I OC while I get hair cuts and I've never thought about the weapon going 'concealed" when they put the cape on me, And, you know, the Mafia used to do a lot of "hits" in barber shops. And just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT after me! I have my CPL so I guess it doesn't matter.

LOL, Beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.

OK, I'll bite....
The legal answer from RCW 9.41.050
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

You walked in Open Carrying and when you leave you will be OCing. Common sense says that unless a bunch of LEOs come through the door, you got nothing to worry about with or without a CPL.

Good to go...