• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need help!

ISRAEL

Happy new year everybody, I am going to sell a hand gun to a friend,and I don't know how to do it,what do I ned to do, when I lived in Washington state I sold a gun to a friend and I was require to write a note,noting the name of buyer and time and day and sign by both of us, but here in Idaho I am not sure, and I need your help, do I need to go to a police station and tell them?,please let me know,the sale is next tuesday.HELP,HELP,HELP.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All the Idaho gun laws seem to be here http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33.htm . Nothing about needing a permission slip to sell your private property, or about guns being registered.

If you are really worried, you might write out a bill of sale saying (your name) sells a handgun (make, model, serial number) to (your friend's name) for ($ agreed on). If you are really paranoid you could add that the sale is "as is, as found, with no implied warranty". You and your friend each get a copy. Problem with bills of sale is you have to file them somewhere, and then remember where you filed them. Nice thing about them is you can give a copy to the insurance company to prove how much you spent, so they can figure out how much to depreciate it on any loss claim.

Question for the uninformed - was that a Washington State requirement or did someone in a gun shop tell you about writing out a note (a bill of sale)? BTW, the bill of sale you describe sounds pretty worthless as it does not describe the item being sold or how much money changed hands.

stay safe.

DocWalker

I just sold a couple of guns to a couple of different friends. You don't have to do anything except take the money and hand them the gun. That being said I would never sell a gun to someone I didn't know unless I wrote their information down just incase the cops show up at my door saying it was used in a crime.

Last I check Idaho was still a free state in a semi-free country and selling private property is nobody's buisness but your own.

MKEgal

skidmark said:
Problem with bills of sale is you have to file them somewhere, and then remember where you filed them.
I'd scan it into a PDF, keep it on my computer & the original in the safe w/ the other bang toys. (Or if I had such a thing, in a safe-deposit box.)

ManInBlack

I just sold a couple of guns to a couple of different friends. You don't have to do anything except take the money and hand them the gun. That being said I would never sell a gun to someone I didn't know unless I wrote their information down just incase the cops show up at my door saying it was used in a crime.

Last I check Idaho was still a free state in a semi-free country and selling private property is nobody's buisness but your own.

May she stay forever free!

hermannr

Happy new year everybody, I am going to sell a hand gun to a friend,and I don't know how to do it,what do I ned to do, when I lived in Washington state I sold a gun to a friend and I was require to write a note,noting the name of buyer and time and day and sign by both of us, but here in Idaho I am not sure, and I need your help, do I need to go to a police station and tell them?,please let me know,the sale is next tuesday.HELP,HELP,HELP.

Hej Isreal!

You were misled in WA. You do not need to do anything beyond coming to an agreement as to the price and exchanging money and merchandise. It is exactly the same in ID. You need to do nothing. It is a good idea to know who you are selling to, but you do not necessarily need to.

The one assumption I am making here is that you know your "friend" is not a felon.(or should I say a prohibited person)...OK? That is it

ISRAEL

Hej Isreal!

You were misled in WA. You do not need to do anything beyond coming to an agreement as to the price and exchanging money and merchandise. It is exactly the same in ID. You need to do nothing. It is a good idea to know who you are selling to, but you do not necessarily need to.

The one assumption I am making here is that you know your "friend" is not a felon.(or should I say a prohibited person)...OK? That is it

I know my friend since I move into Boise in 1995.

DWCook

Activist Member
I like that Bill of Sale paper! Wish I had that particular version back when I sold a couple of pistols. I feel better when I have paperwork that states legal terms and such for the sale. I think every state should have a standard Bill of Sale paper for people who sell privately. Personally I think this way there is ALWAYS a paper trail for the weapon.