• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Logistical Open Carry Question

kanekutter05

What's up everybody. I was thinking about something today that I wanted to get other OCers opinion on.

How many of you carry your firearm and a knife? Now out of everyone that carries both...how exactly do you carry both? It seems that if you were to OC strong side...you would have your knife and your gun on the same side. Now I suppose you could carry at 2 or 4 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock...but I would imagine that carrying (open or concealed) at anything but 3 or 9 o'clock would be quite uncomfortable should you need to sit for an extended period of time.

I have thought about carrying crossdraw...but I don't like the idea of the extra time it would take to draw and acquire a target...plus all of my weapons retention training is all strong side away from the assailant.

I would love to hear from you folks. Thanks!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I OC 0300 Blackhawk SERPA SA 1911A1. I CC 0530 VersaCarry original H&K USPc .40. I carry Columbia River Knife Technology CRKT M16-Z1 in my right pocket. That knife has the most fantastic metal in the blade.

kanekutter05

I OC 0300 Blackhawk SERPA SA 1911A1. I CC 0530 VersaCarry original H&K USPc .40. I carry Columbia River Knife Technology CRKT M16-Z1 in my right pocket. That knife has the most fantastic metal in the blade.

Do you carry your firearm on the right side as well? I can see how concealed would work ok...but what I'm wondering is if you do OC on the right side along with your knife...how do you keep easy access to both?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Why the name-brands being thrown about? Do you get paid to promote those brands?

Getting back to the OP's question - I carry the handgun on my strong (right) side and my primary knife clipped in my weak (left) side front pants pocket. That way, if my strong-side hand/arm is otherwise engaged/disabled I can get to my knife with my weak hand. I am presently fiddling around with the notion of carrying the primary knife closer to midline to allow access by either hand. It seems to work for the guys who presented the notion, but they are of a different shape than I and thus do not cause the exposed part to stick out/forward.

Additional - not backup - blades are carried in such diverse places as jacket pockets, shirt pockets, and in the cellphone pouch some pants have built in. Those are generally the ones I use for cutting string/cord, opening boxes, making small pieces of meat out of a big piece, and spreading goodness on bread/crackers.

stay safe.

kanekutter05

Why the name-brands being thrown about? Do you get paid to promote those brands?

Getting back to the OP's question - I carry the handgun on my strong (right) side and my primary knife clipped in my weak (left) side front pants pocket. That way, if my strong-side hand/arm is otherwise engaged/disabled I can get to my knife with my weak hand. I am presently fiddling around with the notion of carrying the primary knife closer to midline to allow access by either hand. It seems to work for the guys who presented the notion, but they are of a different shape than I and thus do not cause the exposed part to stick out/forward.

Additional - not backup - blades are carried in such diverse places as jacket pockets, shirt pockets, and in the cellphone pouch some pants have built in. Those are generally the ones I use for cutting string/cord, opening boxes, making small pieces of meat out of a big piece, and spreading goodness on bread/crackers.

stay safe.

I guess I'll have to start training up my weak hand knife skills. Tactically I suppose it's probably not the best of ideas to have all of your weapons on one side either

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I also carry a knife on my weak-side or under my shirt on a chain. As Skid mentioned, this allows me to place my strong hand on my gun to keep someone from trying to grab it while stabbing them with the knife in my weak hand.

mahkagari

I also carry a knife on my weak-side or under my shirt on a chain. As Skid mentioned, this allows me to place my strong hand on my gun to keep someone from trying to grab it while stabbing them with the knife in my weak hand.

I carry a folding knife with a belt hook in my dominant side front jeans pocket. This allows me to open Otter Pops for my daughters.

kanekutter05

Ah I didn't think about a neck knife...I've been wanting to get one of those anyways lol.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ah I didn't think about a neck knife...I've been wanting to get one of those anyways lol.

I like them because I can get to it pretty fast with either hand if things really go south.

I'm currently using this little guy.

ad494d13-b739-fcf5.jpg

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pardner!
Nice to see another Aurora citizen open carry in our fair town! Speaking of which, maybe another meet-up should happen soon. Think I'll work on that.

But I digress. It ain't that uncommon an occurance!

As to carrying a knife as a 'backup', I don't feel the need. If I can't get the job done with a .40 cal with 11 rounds, it is likely I wouldn't survive long enough to get to the knife regardless of where I carry it on my person. Then again, I routinely carry quite a plethora of defensive items: Pepper spray, stun gun, ASP baton, kubaton, etc. Then again, I've entered a field of work where such items might prove real handy to have when working. But once more, I digress.

I routinely carry crossdraw, and would wager I can draw and fire as fast as anybody, and with really terrific accuracy. When I do wear strongside, I'll wear a serpa and my draw is only a blink longer, if at all. Like anything else, crossdraw has many advantages, but requires some practice to do well.

The important thing to remember is... and I haven't see it mentioned in this thread... any knife you carry MUST BE no longer than 3" blade length. In addition, no mechanical deployment is permitted either. No switchblade, no spring launched blade, etc. Just carrying a knife that exceeds 3" blade length or one that deploys by mechanical means can get you in a whole bunch of trouble. Don't do it!

If you ever want to meet up for a cup of java, just let me know and we can accomplish that feat without much ado!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

I routinely carry crossdraw, and would wager I can draw and fire as fast as anybody, and with really terrific accuracy.

Have you tested it? There was that fella who said he can draw and put two in a 9" round in half a second. I ain't that fast.

kanekutter05

Howdy Pardner!
Nice to see another Aurora citizen open carry in our fair town! Speaking of which, maybe another meet-up should happen soon. Think I'll work on that.

But I digress. It ain't that uncommon an occurance!

As to carrying a knife as a 'backup', I don't feel the need. If I can't get the job done with a .40 cal with 11 rounds, it is likely I wouldn't survive long enough to get to the knife regardless of where I carry it on my person. Then again, I routinely carry quite a plethora of defensive items: Pepper spray, stun gun, ASP baton, kubaton, etc. Then again, I've entered a field of work where such items might prove real handy to have when working. But once more, I digress.

I routinely carry crossdraw, and would wager I can draw and fire as fast as anybody, and with really terrific accuracy. When I do wear strongside, I'll wear a serpa and my draw is only a blink longer, if at all. Like anything else, crossdraw has many advantages, but requires some practice to do well.

The important thing to remember is... and I haven't see it mentioned in this thread... any knife you carry MUST BE no longer than 3" blade length. In addition, no mechanical deployment is permitted either. No switchblade, no spring launched blade, etc. Just carrying a knife that exceeds 3" blade length or one that deploys by mechanical means can get you in a whole bunch of trouble. Don't do it!

If you ever want to meet up for a cup of java, just let me know and we can accomplish that feat without much ado!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Is there an Aurora statute that preempts state law? It looks like the state law is 3.5"...but I do see that it prohibits assisted opening knives (boy am I glad that I JUST bought an assisted opener for my daily carry). Looks like I'm going to a neck knife sooner rather than later.

Also, if the blade is under the state maximum length...you are allowed to conceal it without a concealed carry permit correct?

And that would be great to meet up sometime!

Beau

It is my understanding also that the maximum blade length for concealment is 3.5". It is also my understanding that if the knife is worn openly the blade length limit does not apply.

mahkagari

Is there an Aurora statute that preempts state law? It looks like the state law is 3.5"...but I do see that it prohibits assisted opening knives (boy am I glad that I JUST bought an assisted opener for my daily carry).

Can someone define "assisted opening"? Do thumb grips count?

kanekutter05

Can someone define "assisted opening"? Do thumb grips count?

Here's the wording from Colorado Statute 18-12-101:

"18-12-101. Definitions.

(j) "Switchblade knife" means any knife, the blade of which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in its handle."

M-Taliesin

Have you tested it? There was that fella who said he can draw and put two in a 9" round in half a second. I ain't that fast.

Howdy Pard!
You're right. I should have said "most anybody", but then again, didn't say everybody. There are always those peculiar exceptions to every rule. I don't think I could match that speed, but most folks would be pretty easy to beat for a variety of reasons; i.e. lots of folks don't practice speed draw and fire very often.

I want to throw a note of safety in there. When doing speed draw drills, please don't shoot yourself. Get snap caps and work with them a whole bunch before ever attempting draw and fire exercises with live ammo. It's one of them common sense things that I feel needs an emphasis.

Just out of curiosity, how many folks actually do practice draw and fire drills? Do you practice daily, weekly, monthly, a couple of times a year, or wonder what on earth we'd bother doing that for at all?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin