• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Belt

xmanhockey7

What type of gun belt do you guys use? I currently use a 5.11 casual belt that I really like. It's quite stiff and works fairly well for OWB carry, but it's beat to heck. I considered getting a Wilderness Tactical, but after seeing someones who said it doesn't hold up well over time I scrapped that. Also considered getting an Original S.O.E. 1.5" Rigid Cobra Duty Belt, but there appears to be problems with getting the large buckles to fit through belt loops. I'm thinking I'll get a reinforced leather belt much like I have now just figured I'd see what everyone else is using.

WalkingWolf

I use waxed leather 2 inch belts for carry most of the time. On occasion I will wear a slide holster and use a waxed canvas belt 1 1/4 wide.

DeSchaine

It depends on the clothes I'm in really. I wear my old BDU's and ACU's a lot, so with them I have a 2" Phoenix web belt that holds my thigh rig. If I'm in jeans, just a typical leather belt is enough.

FreeInAZ

I have recently found I really like leather belts vs poly belts for guns. Comfort, and style are factors in favor of leather. This said, I needed a belt that could hold a lot of weight (at times I carry two 15+1 45acps). The solution. Aker Gun Belt = at 1/3 inch (.32 - .35 by my calipers) thick with a kevlar insert for strength. They are retailing for $50, however one can find them for around $37 at Galls with one of the 20% off promo's and if you stock up (like I did) you get free shipping on orders of $99 or more. I own three; been wearing one for about a year now and it shows little wear under heavy loads carried day in and out. The other two are on the shelf waiting to be called into service. If the first belt is a indicator, I suspect these three belts will get me a minimum of 10 years use between them. I call that money well spent. They are 100% USA (technically as they are made in CA) ... that's the only con I've found to date.

http://www.galls.com/aker-leather-dress-belt

Last edited:

EtdBob

My gunbelt

I recently had BW leather in Idaho make me a new belt along with a pile of holsters.
http://www.bwleather.com/content.php?page_id=1 She does great work and is very reasonable.

It is based upon the Dukes rig, made of soft sued leather folded over like a money belt, but sewn through. Cost much less that the El Paso or Triple K versions and I got exactly what I wanted.

I've attached a photo of my rig with a short .44 thumbuster and a tiny .22 shopkeeper on it along with the rest of the matching "half breed" holsters I had made with the belt, and a photo of the Dukes original rig for comparison.

Now I need to find some phony plastic ivory grips like the Dukes, and wear my hogleg for a few decades. Then they might match!

Attachments

• SAM_2461.jpg
    SAM_2461.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DukesGunRig_zpsabbd7637.jpg
    DukesGunRig_zpsabbd7637.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I have recently found I really like leather belts vs poly belts for guns. Comfort, and style are factors in favor of leather. This said, I needed a belt that could hold a lot of weight (at times I carry two 15+1 45acps). The solution. Aker Gun Belt = at 1/3 inch (.32 - .35 by my calipers) thick with a kevlar insert for strength. They are retailing for $50, however one can find them for around $37 at Galls with one of the 20% off promo's and if you stock up (like I did) you get free shipping on orders of $99 or more. I own three; been wearing one for about a year now and it shows little wear under heavy loads carried day in and out. The other two are on the shelf waiting to be called into service. If the first belt is a indicator, I suspect these three belts will get me a minimum of 10 years use between them. I call that money well spent. They are 100% USA (technically as they are made in CA) ... that's the only con I've found to date.

http://www.galls.com/aker-leather-dress-belt

That appears to be a lot like my current 5.11 belt and really a lot of what I've been looking for. I've considered the poly belts, but they seem to only hold strength for so long or are so thick that you can't put them on jeans or shorts. I did just order a 1.25" belt from Amerihide, but that will be for when I'm wearing a suit or dress clothes and need a belt a bit thinner for belt loops, but still support the weight of a gun.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

That appears to be a lot like my current 5.11 belt and really a lot of what I've been looking for. I've considered the poly belts, but they seem to only hold strength for so long or are so thick that you can't put them on jeans or shorts. I did just order a 1.25" belt from Amerihide, but that will be for when I'm wearing a suite or dress clothes and need a belt a bit thinner for belt loops, but still support the weight of a gun.

I wear the aker daily with all types of pants (usually dockers). ;)

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...I considered getting a Wilderness Tactical, but after seeing someones who said it doesn't hold up well over time I scrapped that...

:confused:

I've been wearing a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer 5-stitch belt daily for more than 5 years and it's still in great shape. I couldn't be more pleased with its performance.