• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
:banana:
I'm one of the managers in Costco manassas. If you ever need anything feel free to stop in and ask for me.

-Curtis

I used to always OC in Sterling costco until Costco came out with a blanket anti gun statement and said we can't OC. My costco is not posted so I CC.. but now that costco has a new ceo.. you can maybe get the policy changed for us.

007boarder

I used to always OC in Sterling costco until Costco came out with a blanket anti gun statement and said we can't OC. My costco is not posted so I CC.. but now that costco has a new ceo.. you can maybe get the policy changed for us.

Hi, Ed. I understand where you are coming from as I often feel the same way and of course I am put in the situation of working for them. Haha. As some have mentioned each warehouse for the most part runs on their GMs beliefs. Of course there are certainly company guidelines manager discretion is often used for decisions in each warehouse. I fear Craig may come from the same background as Jim. I can tell you, I haven't had my last hoorah yet in pushing the issue.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
:banana:
I'm one of the managers in Costco manassas. If you ever need anything feel free to stop in and ask for me.

-Curtis

Why thank you, sir. I have been doing business with the Manassas Costco for a number of years now and have never had any problem whatsoever when OC'ing in that store. In fact of the comments I have received, all were positive from both patrons and (just a few) employees.

I'll try to remember to say "hey" to you next visit, which is generally two times a month.

Blk97F150

Started the afternoon in the food court, then shopped in several stores and was pushing the stroller with the smallest one when a flustered security guard walked up and said I had to leave, then asked if I was law enforcement, then again asked us to leave. We were done shopping anyway for that trip. First time there OC as we hadn't actually planned to be out anywhere this weekend meant I was not dressed for a concealed option as normal. The realy sad thing is that same security guard had walked by us three other times and had no reaction, she only acted when we were near the bathrooms away from everyone else... oh well. Some people are ignorant.

Several of the clerks and several patrons did drop short complements about the sidearm and there was no people running in terror... Man with family shopping while armed... say it isn't so!

I sent the Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets an email asking for their 'Rules of Conduct' policy.... they declined to provide it to me. Apparently they don't want to tell people what they can't do, until they want to tell them to stop doing it and/or leave because of it...... :banghead:

Edit: I replied back asking for the specific "common area location" where their Rules of Conduct are posted. We'll see what they say...

To : blk97f150@xxxxx.com
Subject : Code of Conduct
Date : Mon, Jun 04, 2012 06:00 PM

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our Code of Conduct is not available in a distributable format. We post signs regarding the elements of this policy in several common area locations, including the management office. If you have a specific concern or request and would like to understand our policy regarding it, please do not hesitate to call me at 703-737-3077 X 1 and I will be glad to help you. Thank you again for contacting us.

Len Maenza
General Manager
Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets®
241 Fort Evans Road, NE
Leesburg, VA 20176
(703) 737-3077 | office
(703) 737-3072 | fax
lmaenza@simon.com | email
www.premiumoutlets.com/leesburg

Last edited:

Blk97F150

That's ridiculous. Tell them to SAVE AS A PDF AND ATTACH TO AN EMAIL. It's not rocket science.

If you find the code of conduct, take a nice photo and post it up. :)

If its like other malls... taking pics is prohibited too. (I know this because I once had a picture of the rules at Potomac Mills Mall... that said I couldn't take pictures... of the rules that prohibited taking pictures.... :banana: ).

cptstoney

That's ridiculous. Tell them to SAVE AS A PDF AND ATTACH TO AN EMAIL. It's not rocket science.

If you find the code of conduct, take a nice photo and post it up. :)

i haven't been to the outlet mall in years but if i remember correctly it's posted by the bathrooms on the far side(right side if standing in parking lot with your back to 15)

i didn't take notice of any anti carrying rule, i was just a wee young lad and was more worried about ******* **** back then :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Riana

I did a fair amount of OCing the past few days:

Herndon Festival - both days. While operating in my status as a volunteer (cleaning tables, primarily) I covered up, but while working within the DAR booth and wandering around spending money, I was OC - even when going in and out of the Municipal Center. I passed a variety of law enforcement folks (Herndon / Fairfax / State) and no one blinked an eye. The only comments were on Sunday - in the morning while setting up, a Festival Staff member asked me if it was a Kimber 1911 (no, it's a Springfield Champion 1911), and complimented me on exercising my rights (and was slightly surprised/impressed that I carry a 45). Later in the day while walking around, my cell phone fell out of its case (again! :uhoh:) and a gentleman behind me picked it up to return it, commenting that at least the important "piece" stayed on my belt.

Then Monday, I OCd at a chiropractor's office in Centreville, as well as lunch at Scotto's Rigatoni Grill and Clocktower Thrift in Centreville. No comments or issues.

Today was Robek's and McDonald's on Elden Street, followed by Big Lots and Mom's Organic Market also on Elden. Other than a brief comment from a clerk at the Market ("You're packin' heat!" - to which I responded "Yes, ma'am. Gotta love Virginia!") no issues.

Tonight will be a Diva dinner at Red Robin. Haven't decided if I will be OC or CC at the dinner yet (depends on my attire).

Last edited:

Blk97F150

i haven't been to the outlet mall in years but if i remember correctly it's posted by the bathrooms on the far side(right side if standing in parking lot with your back to 15)

It appears you may be correct. Just got this from the General Manager. I don't think I can get by there this week, but I should be able to stop by there late next week for a pic of the rules. :D

Date: June 5, 2012 8:36:42 AM EDT
To: "blk97f150@xxxx.com"
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct

Sure,
There's 8 1/2 X 11 lucite framed signs in Food Court (near door exiting to shopping), In all restroom buildings (by doors exiting these buildings) and in our management office (on glass facing out).

Len Maenza
General Manager
Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets®
241 Fort Evans Road, NE
Leesburg, VA 20176
(703) 737-3077 | office
(703) 737-3072 | fax
lmaenza@simon.com | email
www.premiumoutlets.com/leesburg
SIMON®

Tess

Founder's Club Member
First time (at least in several years, I think) in Shoppers Food Warehouse at Mt Vernon Plaza. Some notices, but no issues.

Then all over that plaza - 5Below, Starbucks, Michaels, whatever that discount store is, and Staples.

007boarder

^:monkey

Had a good run in with a female leesburg officer yesterday in Starbucks across from the leesburg Costco. I was unable to get her name as she was on her way out. She stood on my strong side, looked at my firearm, looked and me and smiled. Then said, "I'm surprised I don't see more people open carrying now a days. Have a great day and be safe"

Thumbs up to her. A little older, then again I'm only 25, short curly hair.

Funny it's the female cops that seem to give me more of a "welcoming" when opening than the male cops. As I have also received a similar experience some time ago with a loudoun sheriff that was a female.

OC_va_gal

Joking?

Went to suds car wash in ashburn with no issues as usual and another customer we were talking about our mustangs.

After I grabbed some lunch at taco bell in countryside where I've had no issues in the past except today was a little weird. Came up to the the guy and said hello and he took a good 3-4 glances at the hip and he said "you can't have a loaded gun in here because you are making me nervous.....is that a real gun?". I replied yes it is sir. Which he then replied "oh.....well I feel like you are gonna hold me hostage. ". He smiled and then said "so what you want to split the money 50/50 with me or something?". I replied that I would never and I'm a law abiding citizen and I carry for personal defense and that open carry is legal in Virginia. He ended up laughing at the end because I knew exactly how much I owed for the meal and told me to have a nice day. At the end I was confused because I honestly couldn't tell if he was trying to joke through his nervousness.

On the way home which is not too far I saw two cop cars turn down the road. Oh well, no one else said a word or noticed but I may start CCIng at the particular place. Any ideas anyone?

007boarder

Went to suds car wash in ashburn with no issues as usual and another customer we were talking about our mustangs.

After I grabbed some lunch at taco bell in countryside where I've had no issues in the past except today was a little weird. Came up to the the guy and said hello and he took a good 3-4 glances at the hip and he said "you can't have a loaded gun in here because you are making me nervous.....is that a real gun?". I replied yes it is sir. Which he then replied "oh.....well I feel like you are gonna hold me hostage. ". He smiled and then said "so what you want to split the money 50/50 with me or something?". I replied that I would never and I'm a law abiding citizen and I carry for personal defense and that open carry is legal in Virginia. He ended up laughing at the end because I knew exactly how much I owed for the meal and told me to have a nice day. At the end I was confused because I honestly couldn't tell if he was trying to joke through his nervousness.

On the way home which is not too far I saw two cop cars turn down the road. Oh well, no one else said a word or noticed but I may start CCIng at the particular place. Any ideas anyone?

Interesting encounter. How the clerk starting off with forbidding you to be there and then joking about it And taking your order just like another day. Seemed like it isn't worry changing your view to conceal carry instead. Just my opinion of course.

vt800c

Joking..but not very well....

After I grabbed some lunch at taco bell in countryside where I've had no issues in the past except today was a little weird. Came up to the the guy and said hello and he took a good 3-4 glances at the hip and he said "you can't have a loaded gun in here because you are making me nervous.....is that a real gun?". I replied yes it is sir. Which he then replied "oh.....well I feel like you are gonna hold me hostage. ". He smiled and then said "so what you want to split the money 50/50 with me or something?".

He was hitting on you.

efriday

Unicorn sighting Whitt's Harley Davidson, Manassas

Sighted one Open Carrier besides myself on Saturday First Come First Served maintenance day at Whitt's Harley Davidson.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
It's that time of year

Fairfax County has concerts in the park -- we have Friday nights in Mt Vernon (and Saturday in Lorton). Carried at Grist Mill Park for the Friday-night concert last night; I think I got a few looks, but nothing worrisome.

Sunday nights are the free concerts at Ft Hunt Park. We've carried at those a number of times before; tomorrow should be the first time for this year.

Bob1

Why would you do that?

Lower visibility I'd suspect.

I've also got a couple places where it's usually a hassle and I don't always have the time to debate the issue in the name of employee education. So I just cover up and press when time's at a premium in those places.

Now why do I get the feeling that Dale already knew that and was just tweaking OC Gal?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lower visibility I'd suspect.

I've also got a couple places where it's usually a hassle and I don't always have the time to debate the issue in the name of employee education. So I just cover up and press when time's at a premium in those places.

Now why do I get the feeling that Dale already knew that and was just tweaking OC Gal?

Not really just tweaking. More of a serious question.

If one employee acting a bit nervous can cause someone to hide their self-defense tool, what might 10 or 20 such encounters at different locations do to our right to OC? The incident did not go badly at all - she was not asked/told to leave. Hopefully, next time he will be more comfortable with an OCer.

Educate, educate, educate. :D

OTOH - I do understand choices and matters of immediate convenience too.

Last edited: