• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about CHP Information

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Doesn't matter if he's following it or not...he's everywhere. We just have to say his name three times and he appears: Peter, Peter, Peter..... :banana:

Within the Supreme Court is the Supreme Court's Executive Secretary. Their job (among other things)is to make sure the Clerks are in compliance with Virginia Law. For instance, the online case management system that each locality has is actually part of the Supreme Court system.

They have complete control over the actions of GD Clerks but since the Circuit Court Clerk is an elected officer, there are some limits.

TFred

Within the Supreme Court is the Supreme Court's Executive Secretary. Their job (among other things)is to make sure the Clerks are in compliance with Virginia Law. For instance, the online case management system that each locality has is actually part of the Supreme Court system.

They have complete control over the actions of GD Clerks but since the Circuit Court Clerk is an elected officer, there are some limits.
With respect to the upcoming changes to 18.2-308 then, it seems we have a question with two possible answers.

The code was changed in essence like this:

From: The clerk of court may withhold from public disclosure the social security number contained in a permit application in response to a request to inspect or copy any such permit application

To: The clerk of court shall withhold from public disclosure the applicant's name and any other information contained in a permit application or any order issuing a concealed handgun permit

Question: Who is owner of the information contained in the on-line case database?

Answer 1: The on-line case files are considered to be a part of each Circuit Court clerk's responsibility to populate and keep correct.

Answer 2: The on-line case files are considered to be a part of the Supreme Court of Virginia.

If Answer 1 is correct, it would seem that the case records that reveal the name of the permit holder will need to be hidden from public view on July 1st.

If Answer 2 is correct, then it would seem we are going to need still more legislation to fix this issue.

Note: The direction to "withhold from public disclosure" does not specifically address only new applications, it covers "a permit application". A permit application submitted prior to July 1st is still "a permit application."

It seems pretty clear to me that this direction to leave the pre-July 1st applications on-line is nothing more than the easiest way out to a problem with a database not designed to hold private information. From what I can read, it does not appear to be the legal solution.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
With respect to the upcoming changes to 18.2-308 then, it seems we have a question with two possible answers.

The code was changed in essence like this:
From: The clerk of court may withhold from public disclosure the social security number contained in a permit application in response to a request to inspect or copy any such permit application

To: The clerk of court shall withhold from public disclosure the applicant's name and any other information contained in a permit application or any order issuing a concealed handgun permit

Question: Who is owner of the information contained in the on-line case database?

Answer 1: The on-line case files are considered to be a part of each Circuit Court clerk's responsibility to populate and keep correct.

Answer 2: The on-line case files are considered to be a part of the Supreme Court of Virginia.

If Answer 1 is correct, it would seem that the case records that reveal the name of the permit holder will need to be hidden from public view on July 1st.

If Answer 2 is correct, then it would seem we are going to need still more legislation to fix this issue.

Note: The direction to "withhold from public disclosure" does not specifically address only new applications, it covers "a permit application". A permit application submitted prior to July 1st is still "a permit application."

It seems pretty clear to me that this direction to leave the pre-July 1st applications on-line is nothing more than the easiest way out to a problem with a database not designed to hold private information. From what I can read, it does not appear to be the legal solution.

TFred

I don't have an answer TFred. The online system is a state system and maintained by VITA. Things get confusing past that point.