• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Printing

AllanWJ

Hi All

New guy here. I know this is an open carry site, but I was curious about Oregon's laws on printing when CC'ing. How do they draw the line?

Thanks.

45 Fan

You have the right to OPENLY Carry a Firearm in Oregon...so if your cover garment doesnt quite cover it, you are openly carrying...or poorly cc'ing it...wait...what was the issue?...printing?....i dont carry a printer...

AllanWJ

heh heh...let me explain.

I was having an academic discussion about the printing thing and asked the same question - what's the difference if OC is legal? The only answer I ever get is something along the lines of "concealed means concealed" which really isn't an answer. I've never heard of anyone arrested for printing much less cited a statute saying that you'll be drawn and quartered if you do. It was just a coupla guys having a beer and wondering. :)

We can't find a specific law that defines it, but I get crosseyed reading those statutes anyway - I may have missed it.

Thanks again.

catastrophic_success

If you have an Oregon CHL. You can carry your gun however you want.

fully concealed, partly concealed, poorly concealed and printing harder than a fed-ex during the holidays, or strapped to your face if you choose.

having a CHL does not obligate anyone to actually conceal.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
heh heh...let me explain.

I was having an academic discussion about the printing thing and asked the same question - what's the difference if OC is legal? The only answer I ever get is something along the lines of "concealed means concealed" which really isn't an answer. I've never heard of anyone arrested for printing much less cited a statute saying that you'll be drawn and quartered if you do. It was just a coupla guys having a beer and wondering. :)

We can't find a specific law that defines it, but I get crosseyed reading those statutes anyway - I may have missed it.

Thanks again.

Asking the question, "Show me where the statute requires concealment" usually shuts down that ridiculous assertion.

SteveM

Oregon may be an open carry state, but not in Multnomah County or a few cities like Oregon City, Tigard, and Beaverton. I live in Beaverton where open carry is only allowed if you have a CHL and there is a city employee that carries concealed but prints enough that I can tell he has something with a hand grip similar in shape to a 1911. The guy has been an employee for many years and works in the same building as the city police so clearly a little printing isn't a problem.

Printing is mostly psychological because you know it is there and have been made to feel guilty about it. The only person that will be able to tell is someone else that carries and knows what to look for. If all else fails get one of those shirts that says "Armed with a 9mm", the gun haters will be too flabbergasted to look anywhere else but at the shirt.

AllanWJ

Thanks for the input guys.

I carry concealed OWB and have always figured I'd just tuck my shirt in if someone complained about me printing. Don't like a gun outline? Well here's the whole enchilada then. :cool:

It's nice to know exactly what the law says though. I swear they leave things ambiguous just for the purpose of busting someone. If we're not armed with both a weapon and a law degree, it seems like we're always a half-step from having a guaranteed right turned into a legal nightmare.

Lord Sega

Oregon may be an open carry state, but not in Multnomah County or a few cities like Oregon City, Tigard, and Beaverton. I live in Beaverton where open carry is only allowed if you have a CHL ... snip

Correction (in part): 166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions).

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

So you can OC in these cities unloaded, or with a CHL OC loaded.

Also note: ORS 166.170 preempts the "unloaded magazine" part that Portland and other cities have inserted into their unloaded carry ordinances, but it has not been officially challenged in court.
ORS 166.xxx link

Last edited:

SteveM

I wouldn't put much stock in what that guy says. He's proven on multiple occasions that he's not a 2nd amendment supporter unless you do it HIS way.
I think the same could be said about 90% of people claiming to support the 2A. How many people claiming to support the 2A are foaming at the mouth because Mattimusmaximus exercised his right to walk down the street with a shotgun? I for one try not to berate a fellow 2A advocate in public because my fight is not with them.

Cavtrooper

I think the same could be said about 90% of people claiming to support the 2A. How many people claiming to support the 2A are foaming at the mouth because Mattimusmaximus exercised his right to walk down the street with a shotgun? I for one try not to berate a fellow 2A advocate in public because my fight is not with them.

Looking at the outcome of most of Matts intereactions, proves to me his methods don't work.

45 Fan

Really? I thought it was about education

You want a political agenda, you can have it. In the end, the news medias portrayal of him was as a peaceful, civic minded, law abiding citizen walking down the street; which the school then proceeded to bully by going into lockdown.

I think the only one who is on the wrongside of the fence are those that feel that they alone hold the answer to the question...that or the guys who believe the NRA truly cares about the 2nd Amendment...because to be honest...if the political war ends and the 2A was truly upheld, why would we need the NRA?...

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
The NRA doesn't give a crap about the 2nd Amendment.

Where are their lawsuits in California alone?????? California has SO MANY infringements, and the NRA has done squat to get them reversed.

catastrophic_success

I am so sick of this kind of attitude. You keep your freaking PERMISSION SLIP.

I HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT! I CAN CARRY MY GUN HOWEVER I WANT!

Seriously, CCW permits are 100% unconstitutional.

It's not an "attitude" it's just a fact. My posts are in accordance with the laws. I wish we didn't need a permit for CCW

If you want to carry concealed without a permit be my guest. Just know that if you are caught you will almost certainly get ass f***ed in court.

Last edited: