• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Virgina

Onnie

My son lives in Arlington VA and while I have been there many times over the last 5 years, this will be the first time I will be bringing my handguns with me. Will be in VA April 8 to the about the 15th. I will be on my motorcycle OCing while I drive, as I do in Michigan and in Ohio, so I will be OCing all the way to MD where I will have to put it away for legal transportation.

I have my CPL issued by the state of Michigan which VA accepts

He CC's only, but I OC 99.9 % of the time in my home state of Michigan, i have had no issued OCing here

Ive been reading the VA laws and will continue reading the posts for VA as not to get jammed while I am there.

I don't drink so I don't do the bar scene but may go to a restaurant that serves alcohol for dinner and I understand that is ok

I understand the places that have a no weapons sticker/sign may carry no legal weight, but could get you a trespassing cite if I ignore it, and that any place that ask me to leave I must or face a trespassing cite.

Ive read Handgunlaw.us for VA and continue to review it, in "general" it seems like a lot your laws are similar to what we have here in Michigan.

I guess what I am asking is for pointers in general for OCing in VA.

Most of the time I will be at his home watching my grandson, and taking the little rascal to school and picking him up. I will have to go into the school both times, so my weapon will be placed in the trunk in its case just prior to me going on school property.

Other than that, just the usual bumming around shopping and such, maybe a little site seeing but I been everywhere I want to go but Monticello

Thanks in advance!

wylde007

I understand the places that have a no weapons sticker/sign may carry no legal weight, but could get you a trespassing cite if I ignore it, and that any place that ask me to leave I must or face a trespassing cite.
Only if you refuse to leave once asked.
Other than that, just the usual bumming around shopping and such, maybe a little site seeing but I been everywhere I want to go but Monticello
I think Monticello is ANTI.

Might want to search and confirm.

And welcome, even if your visit is short.

Onnie

Only if you refuse to leave once asked.I think Monticello is ANTI.

Might want to search and confirm.

And welcome, even if your visit is short.

Thanks! Yea I figured they would Anti, seems odd tho don't it?:banghead:

has to be short, I enjoy the time I spend with my Grandson, its my SON I can only take for a week at a time!

Actually he is in the Marines and has to go out to the field, divorced father, so I go out to help when he needs it...good thing I am retired!

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Yup Monticello is "anti" and I've heard Jefferson's Poplar Forest place down here in the Lynchburg area may be as well, but I've never heard of anyone having issue there. Take note that the D-Day Memorial in Bedford is big time "anti" as well, but they're constantly begging for money and hoping the National Park Service will swoop them up to take care of their sorry butt.

I hope you enjoy your time in VA Onnie!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Even in the school zone you may leave the gun concealed within a secured (not necessarily locked) container within the passenger compartment of your car if you need to leave the car.

All American Nightmare

My son lives in Arlington VA and while I have been there many times over the last 5 years, this will be the first time I will be bringing my handguns with me. Will be in VA April 8 to the about the 15th. I will be on my motorcycle OCing while I drive, as I do in Michigan and in Ohio, so I will be OCing all the way to MD where I will have to put it away for legal transportation.

I have my CPL issued by the state of Michigan which VA accepts

He CC's only, but I OC 99.9 % of the time in my home state of Michigan, i have had no issued OCing here

Ive been reading the VA laws and will continue reading the posts for VA as not to get jammed while I am there.

I don't drink so I don't do the bar scene but may go to a restaurant that serves alcohol for dinner and I understand that is ok

Ive read Handgunlaw.us for VA and continue to review it, in "general" it seems like a lot your laws are similar to what we have here in Michigan.

I guess what I am asking is for pointers in general for OCing in VA.

Most of the time I will be at his home watching my grandson, and taking the little rascal to school and picking him up. I will have to go into the school both times, so my weapon will be placed in the trunk in its case just prior to me going on school property.

Thanks in advance!
http://vaguninfo.com/ http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/code-virginia-firearms-laws-t2.html http://law.justia.com/virginia/ http://www.virginia1774.org/Page5.html These links might help will provide more if needed.

Last edited:

Onnie

As far as the school goes, you can carry in the parking lot, bus loop, etc. as long as you stay in the car and the gun stays concealed. You may technically run afoul of the federal GFSZA but that is your call.

yep, I understand that one too, I have to actually go inside the school to drop and pick him up so I don't need to end up in the pokie!

Onnie

Even in the school zone you may leave the gun concealed within a secured (not necessarily locked) container within the passenger compartment of your car if you need to leave the car.

thanks, yep I have to leave the vehicle his before and after school activities require I drop him off inside the building not outside and sign him in

thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
yep, I understand that one too, I have to actually go inside the school to drop and pick him up so I don't need to end up in the pokie!

Simply move the gun to your glove compartment or console prior to entering school property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks Grape, that was my intentions.

hope it warm there in April, i am sick of the Michigan SNOW!

It should be mild compared to Michigan.
Daytime temps here are already running between 50 -70F.
Definitely OC weather.

Hope you enjoy Virginia.