• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shows and open carry

amzbrady

The very reason I think it is so stupid that gun shows want to make you handle your firearm instead of just leaving it the F*#K alone. There are stupid people that shouldnt have firearms, and then there are stupid people that make other stupid people handle their firearm. Another case where it would have been best to just leave it alone. If gun shows cant trust law abiding citizens that are carrying a properly holstered firearm, how can we expect the rest of society to have to put up with it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46280351/ns/us_news-weird_news/

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
While I understand your frustration, this really had nothing to do with the gun show rule. I hate the rule as well. This is an idiot who shot himself in the leg, nothing more. If allowed to carry loaded gun at gun show, this is the same idiot who would pull it out to try holsters.

I have unloaded/loaded dozens of guns, hundreds of times and have yet to shoot anything I wasn't intending to shoot. The gun show rule is not at fault here.

sawah

In general, it's better not to handle your firearm.

Last gun show I got home and went to unload my pockets, fliers, packages and discovered my firearm was still tag-tied. Talk about forehead slapping.

amzbrady

While I understand your frustration, this really had nothing to do with the gun show rule. I hate the rule as well. This is an idiot who shot himself in the leg, nothing more. If allowed to carry loaded gun at gun show, this is the same idiot who would pull it out to try holsters.

I have unloaded/loaded dozens of guns, hundreds of times and have yet to shoot anything I wasn't intending to shoot. The gun show rule is not at fault here.

So I guess if an officer disarms someone for their safety, then when they give the firearm back, if you were to shoot yourself in the leg, it is based soley on your knowledge of firearms, not partly at fault for needless handling of a firearm?

Metalhead47

So I guess if an officer disarms someone for their safety, then when they give the firearm back, if you were to shoot yourself in the leg, it is based soley on your knowledge of firearms, not partly at fault for needless handling of a firearm?

Unless the officer is replacing the weapon in your holster by his own hand, yes. You are responsible for the safe handling of your firearm, whether you want to be handling it in the first place or not. I don't know if I agree with the gun show rule or not, but I do understand why they have it. Everyone here generally says gun shows are a rip-off in the first place anyway...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Yes. It is solely your fault if you shoot yourself in that situation. Was that a serious question? What is so difficult about loading and unloading a gun? If one can't handle a gun safely then one shouldn't be carrying. Even if the gun had a catastrophic malfunction causing it to go off, it's still his fault. Never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy, that includes yourself.

Last edited:

amlevin

"Gun Show Rule" or "Insurance Company underwriting Gun Shows rule"?

It can even be a rule imposed as a condition of the lease. Want another "gripe". No powder allowed to be sold at gun shows either.

MilProGuy

"Police say 26-year-old Charles Lake was leaving the gun show at the Savannah Civic Center around 5:10 p.m. Sunday when he discharged a round into his leg while re-loading his pistol."

Not a very wise practice...pointing a gun at one's self when loading or unloading. :uhoh: