• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County, Nevada - Code of Ordinances

The Big Guy

It is my understanding that all went away with instant check and preemption. I have bought several hand guns in Henderson with no problem. Paid and walked out.

TBG

usmcmustang

It is my understanding that all went away with instant check and preemption. I have bought several hand guns in Henderson with no problem. Paid and walked out.

TBG

That's because you already owned a "registered" handgun... in that case the 72 hour CLARK COUNTY waiting period is waived. Anyone purchasing for the FIRST time does have to wait 72 hours. Preemption or not, gun stores and other establishments selling firearms within Clark County DO require one to wait 72 hours from purchase to delivery IF it is a first-time purchase.

The Big Guy

That's because you already owned a "registered" handgun... in that case the 72 hour CLARK COUNTY waiting period is waived. Anyone purchasing for the FIRST time does have to wait 72 hours. Preemption or not, gun stores and other establishments selling firearms within Clark County DO require one to wait 72 hours from purchase to delivery IF it is a first-time purchase.

I remember asking them at Spurlocks if they needed to see a blue card so I didn't have to wait and he told me that was no longer valid with instant check. Perhaps this is something we need to get an OFFICIAL opinion on. Think I will write the DA about this.

TBG

The Big Guy

My question to the DA's office and their response.

My question:

I am confused on something and wonder if the DA’s office can clarify it for me. What is the current law regarding a 72 hour waiting period on the purchase of a handgun in Clark County? Some shops say it still is in force, others have told me that this requirement went away with instant background check and state preemption.

Regards

And the answer is:

Sir,

Please contact the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department in regards to your inquiry. Contact information can be obtained on their webiste at www.lvmpd.com.

Sincerely,

Tess Driver
Executive Assistant
Clark County District Attorney's Office
E-Mail: Tess.Driver@ClarkCountyDA.com

So, Metro here I come.

TBG

usmcmustang

I remember asking them at Spurlocks if they needed to see a blue card so I didn't have to wait and he told me that was no longer valid with instant check. Perhaps this is something we need to get an OFFICIAL opinion on. Think I will write the DA about this.

TBG

Here's some more crap to throw into the game...

If you are talking about the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)...

Nevada gun dealers are required to use the state as their Point of Contact rather than go to the FBI’s National Instant Check System directly. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/pos.shtml

The following was posted on the “Nevada Shooters” forum a year and a half ago… without citation(s)...

"The County. North Las Vegas, and City of Las Vegas have codes mandating a 72 hour wait if purchaser has never registered a handgun in Clark County.

Henderson and Boulder City have no such code.

This was the subject on another board when the Metro Gun Detail tried to force Henderson dealers to comply with the waiting period. They quickly rescinded the attempt when it was pointed out to them that they had no power to enforce the county code in an incorporated city"...
without citation(s).

The Big Guy

Here's some more crap to throw into the game...

If you are talking about the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)...

Nevada gun dealers are required to use the state as their Point of Contact rather than go to the FBI’s National Instant Check System directly. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/pos.shtml

The following was posted on the “Nevada Shooters” forum a year and a half ago… without citation(s)...

"The County. North Las Vegas, and City of Las Vegas have codes mandating a 72 hour wait if purchaser has never registered a handgun in Clark County.

Henderson and Boulder City have no such code.

This was the subject on another board when the Metro Gun Detail tried to force Henderson dealers to comply with the waiting period. They quickly rescinded the attempt when it was pointed out to them that they had no power to enforce the county code in an incorporated city"...
without citation(s).

I've written Metro PIO, let's see what they say. I would like to know when the County/LV/NLV ordinances were approved as well. Goes to that pesky preemption thing....

TBG

The Big Guy

I included the dates in my cites of the ordinances. See the quotes in post #1(CC) and #8(CofLV)

I'm not really sure how to decode them but I see dates of 2007+ which no matter how you look at it they would be invalid under preemption.
Set me straight on this.

TBG

DocWalker

Dear Mr. (spelled my name wrong),
For information please contact LVMPD Firearms Detail at 702-828-3855.

Thank you,

LVMPD
Office of Public Information
3141 Sunrise Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Office: 702-828-3394
Fax: 702-828-1550
www.LVMPD.com
Join the Force
Follow LVMPD on twitter!
Check us out on Facebook

ma

It almost sounds like a hot potato that the DA and Metro don't want to deal with....Maybe they know that the 72 hour waiting period is crap and that it goes against premption. Maybe they don't want to be the ones to have to defend it in court.

jdholmes

The info on the las Vegas gun show website appears to be confused as well...they seem to imply on one hand that there is no wait, but then if you read further they imply that a 3 day wait is required on the first permit purchase? Whatever they seem to think a permit is...I am assuming they mean on your first hand gun registration...http://www.lasvegasgunshow.com/nvregs.htm

Their text:

""""""Nevada

CCW Law (NV ALS 713) - Yes; "shall-issue"

Juvenile Possession Law (NV §202.300) - Yes

Juvenile Sale/Transfer Law (NV §202.310) - Yes

CAP Law (NV §902.300) - Yes

Gun-Free Schools Law (NV §202.265) - Yes

Preemption Law (NV §244-364) - Yes

Record of Sale Law - None

Registration Law - None

Licensing/Permit to Purchase Law - None

Waiting Period for Handgun Purchase - None

Secondary/Private Sales Law - None

State Ban on Saturday Night Specials - None

State Ban on Assault Weapons - None

One-Gun-A-Month Law - None

A synopsis of state laws on purchase, possession and carrying of firearms. (As of June, 1997)

PLEASE NOTE: In addition to state laws, the purchase sale and (in certain circumstances) the possession and interstate transportation of firearms is regulated by the Gun Control Act of 1968 as amended by the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act. Also, cities and localities may have their own firearm ordinances in addition to federal and state laws. Details may be obtained by contacting local law enforcement authorities, and by consulting the State Laws and Published Ordinances—Firearms, available from the U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402.

QUICK REFERENCE CHART

Rifles and Shotguns

Handguns

Permit to Purchase
No

Yes*

Registration of Firearms
No

No

Licensing of Owners
No

No

Permit to Carry
No

Yes**

** A permit is required to carry a concealed firearm.

* 3 day wait on first permit application."""""

Dodoandduck

I made my first handgun purchase/registration at Spurlock's in Henderson. I filled out the paperwork on a computer, they made a phone call for the background, I paid and out the door with my new Ruger. Coming from california I was very happy with how easy it was. None of the bs waiting crap like out there. Been back a few times since. Lock and Load in Henderson was a good experiance too.

usmcmustang

NRS 244.364…

3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

NRS 268.418…

3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

So, we know the County had pre June 13, 1989 registration ordinance(s), and those ordinance(s) have since been amended and hence require the 72 hour waiting period.

Now, did the cities of North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder, and Mesquite also have pre June 13, 1989 registration ordinance(s)? If so, those too would necessarily have had to be amended to require the 72 hour waiting period.

Note that the "72 hours for the registration" is only for residents of the County or City, as the case may be. Which means, I guess a person who is neither a resident of the County or an incorporated city within the county can come into the County or city and purchase a pistol without the "72 hours for the registration."