• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unconscious racial attitude playing role in 2012 presidential vote. Decision 2012 IAT

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date
H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-unconscious-racial-attitudes-large-role.html
However, a new large-scale study shows that racial attitudes have already played a substantial role in 2012, during the Republican primaries. They may play an even larger role in this year's presidential election.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/featuredtask.html
Featured Task: Decision 2012 IAT

It is well known that people don't always ‘speak their minds’, and it is suspected that people don’t always ‘know their minds’. Understanding such divergences is important to scientific psychology. This web site presents a method that demonstrates the conscious-unconscious divergences much more convincingly than has been possible with previous methods. This new method is called the Implicit Association Test, or IAT for short.

We will ask you (optionally) to report your attitudes toward or beliefs about these topics, and provide some general information about yourself. These demonstrations should be more valuable if you have also tried to describe your self-understanding of the characteristic that the IAT is designed to measure. Also, a variety of factors may influence your IAT performance. The score is provided for entertainment purposes only.

Data exchanged with this site are protected by SSL encryption, and no personally identifying information is collected without your permission. IP addresses are routinely recorded, but are completely confidential.

Important disclaimer: In reporting to you results of any IAT that you take, we will mention possible interpretations that have a basis in research done at the University of Washington, University of Virginia, Harvard University, and Yale University. However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this site, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations. If you are unprepared to encounter interpretations that you might find objectionable, please do not proceed further. You may prefer to examine general information about the IAT before deciding whether or not to proceed.

I am aware of the possibility of encountering interpretations of my IAT performance with which I may not agree. Knowing this, I wish to proceed with the Decision 2012 IAT study.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

If you feel that guilty then start hitting the tanning booth like the lady that got into trouble for taking her daughter tanning. She looked like leather not caucasian...
LOL Bovine leather or equine?

CharleyCherokee

Your results are reported below:

Your data suggest a strong implicit preference for Ron Paul compared to Barack Obama.
Your data suggest a slight implicit preference for Black People compared to White People.

Pretty much what I told them in the survey... Except I said that I felt equally about white and black people. :p

OC for ME

Why are the photos of the black or white people black & white?

Bogus bush-league-psychout-stuff.

As with any survey or poll, the source determines the desired results before the results are complied.